1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 08-28-2004, 01:52 AM

Norinco 1911a1 Factory Enhanced, a review

Having put the gun through its paces, I feel I can now give it a good review.

pictures will follow when i get around to them, havin' trouble with my USB stuff.

the gun is basically 1911a1 with as said, factory enhancements. the enhancements include a lowered and flared ejection port, a beavertail grip safety, a enlarged (deetachable) mag release catch button, and a skeletonized hammer.

the beaver tail is functional but the hammer doesn't rest inside it as beautifully as say that of a kimber. the mag release button is a bit stiff to work, and it sometimes catches in the "pressed" position and one needs to tap it a little for it to return.

the gun is quite sharp around the edges, the thumb safety is a bit painful to work. the disconnector isn't all that smooth and it makes the affair of racking the slide a bit unsmooth.

the insides show very simple finishing, the breechface is really rough.

the trigger has vertical serrations, which are sharp, not a good thing, painful. trigger pull is not very sweet, about 6 lbs i'd say, although i did not really measure it...just estimate. it has some take up and it creeps.

don't get me wrong, i love this gun, it's proven more reliable than my HK USP 45. no jams, even with winchester USA 230 gr hollowpoints. the magazines are crude but work fine, they just aren't as forgiving as my USP mags when it comes to rounds that are a bit longer than the 1.275" OAL.

really accurate, i just had a 5 yard range, but it could put it all in one inch at that range, probly better if i had a rest.

all in all, it is not such a bad deal, you get what you pay for. a basic 1911 that works every time, but it does lack the refined look and feel of a higher end model.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the review!
Can you include the model number (designation, as in NPXX)?
How much did it cost you? It sounds like a good project gun.

Looking forward to the pictures,

horge
Old 08-28-2004, 10:56 PM

It must be nice to be able to buy new Norinco's instead of scrounging for used ones.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:36 AM

Quote:
It must be nice to be able to buy new Norinco's instead of scrounging for used ones.
Yes indeed, in the many other countries that don't have trade problem with China.
Some of those living outside the US even post here occasionally, hehe.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:11 PM

another thing...

the thumb safety is not that positive, after clicking it into safety off position, the thumb safety can still be pushed down a little, i wonder if this can be fixed with a replacement thumb safety.

do you guys recommend gunsmithing by TRUE WEIGHT? i'd like to have a few things installed on this gun and i don't really know which gun smith to bring it to.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:29 PM

Oh crap. You're from the Philippines, zorkd???

Hi. I've no experience with True Weight, but those I know who have, say the customer service can be much, much less than satisfactory.

Lots of other shops handle Norincos. You can try Mang Dolpho at Northstar in Makati, he does a lot of 1911 work, on Colts, Armscors, etc. I'm guessing he might also hande Norks. You can certainly ask other Filipino enthusiasts on the BoG forum over at GT for opinions on gunsmiths and gunshops.

And hey, you need to post those pics here

hth,
horge
Old 08-30-2004, 05:10 AM

Gunsmithing in True Weight is comparable to the good gunsmiths we have in the Philippines only they charged a little bit more. I've had good experience with Col. Bayang (840-1362) as recommended by McOliver of Band of Glockers and Metrillo (824-5637) as recommended by Jasonub also of the same group. Horge's recommendation regarding Mang Dolpho is also okey. I had a bad experience with Tony Pascual that I'd like to see him close his shop.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:31 AM

oh yeah horge

norinco doesn't have a "NP" designation for it, the manual just says model 1911a1 and well, MARKSMAN, where i bought it from only labeled it as norinco 1911a1 factory enhance, blued.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:41 PM

Norinco's are great pistols. I found one nib a couple of months ago, and I absolutly love it. I rank them as the absolute best of the WW11 reproductions; bar none. As a matte of fact, I rate them right up there with Colts 1991A1. If there is any difference, it is only cosmetic; not functional, nor quality of materials. Truly exceptional values; would love to find a couple more.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Banned

Sounds very much to me that your factory enhanced version was done by someone other than Norinco. The only Norinco I know of that comes as you describe are the Norincos in 9MM the NP 29/30, single stack/double stack. THe A1's are stock mil-spec. Can you post a picture?

My friend Care-Less has the best description of it and IF he ever gets up this way he might be able to take home a new one! He smuggles our whisky back with him all the time so why not a Norc LOL
Old 09-08-2004, 03:04 AM

nope

i think norinco actually makes this in their factory, more than one shop sells it here in .ph. if you are in the states, you probably never have seen one because it was introduced after clinton put that ban on chinese guns.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Banned

No I am in Canada and we get all of the products Norinco makes. If they made a "Factory Enhanced" version we would get it and we don't.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:32 PM

oh i see

canada eh? hmmm, i dunno, i haven't got pictures, let me see if i can find one on the net. come to think of it yeah, i haven't seen a picture of this model anywhere, but i don't think any local gun smith like made huge batches of these and just sold them as "norinco factory enhanced", they were pretty cheap, like about $300, maybe a little over.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:09 PM

Wish we have access to the new Norinco 1911 like you guys could.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:23 PM

here is the picture of the factory enhanced norinco 1911

is this model available in canada or america>?
Attached Thumbnails
dsc01499.jpg  
Old 11-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Banned

Canada - No, sorry. We get a NP 30 in 9MM Double Stack that looks a lot like that but not that particular gun in .45acp. I assume it is a single stack. The NP 29 in 9MM is closer to that, What we get here is the standard 1911A1 and the Commander in .45acp. Guns are great but oh those sights. I don't know why they don't slap a set of knock-offs on the gun. Would sell better here and be more useful I think. I am going to ask Marstar why they don't bring in that particular model.

USA -No

Last edited by robertbank; 11-24-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:10 PM

Enhanced

Correction. There IS a Norinco enhanced single stack 1911A1, but we haven't seen them in Canada. Marstar has no "immediate" plans to bring it in, but they probably will at some point. BTW Norc also has a BHP clone (not talking about the FEGthing!).
Old 11-27-2004, 05:43 PM

Norinco Factory Enhanced Model

Nice review Zorkd.

Aside from your factory enhanced Norinco there are other enhanced models available now (here in the Phils.) , namely the Factory enchanced special and the police model. Saw these models at the gunshow yesterday (Nov. 27' 04 ).

Attached is the Norinco Factory Enhanced Special Model ( w/ front serrations, Novak style rear sight , the Enhanced Police have all the whistles plus an ambi safety, extended slide stop and polished feed ramp/throated barrel ). I'll get this one.

Sorry picture file exceeded the 100kb limit, I'll post again.

Last edited by Hermo Gut; 11-27-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:20 AM

Holy Cow, the BOGs have invaded the 1911forum!

Nice to run into you guys here. Nice review zorkd. I have yet to try out a Nork but I'm convinced it's an excellent gun considering the number of good things I hear about it here. Maybe I can join Darwin25 in breaking in his new Nork Commander he got from Deenoh last gunshow.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexii
Holy Cow, the BOGs have invaded the 1911forum!

Nice to run into you guys here. Nice review zorkd. I have yet to try out a Nork but I'm convinced it's an excellent gun considering the number of good things I hear about it here. Maybe I can join Darwin25 in breaking in his new Nork Commander he got from Deenoh last gunshow.
yeah alexii and post some pics. & range report also bro!

hitman joe (a.k.a. mikol of BoG's)

hi zorkd,

i think you have the same model cebuboy had. he also got it from marksman but in Cebu branch. we are waiting for your range report guys!
Old 12-04-2004, 05:45 PM

mods

If this one isn't available, I'll swap my NP30 slide with a Commander. Therefore, I get a compact wide body and a sort of enhanced model.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Banned

CanuckZ

Hey there. Are you sure this swap will work. Read on another thread that there are minor differences that may not make it the swap you think. Interested if you have done this swap sucessfully or not.

Last edited by robertbank; 12-06-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:07 PM

?

Not sure. I don't have a Commander yet. But if not, then the Commander goes in an SOB holster!
Old 12-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Banned

CanuckZ

You got to join the dark side and carry. Where you are you should!

Old 12-06-2004, 07:32 PM

BOG raid

hehe yeah, nice to see you guys here.

well yeah that is the exact same one as cebuboy's, literally, i didn't have a digicam so when i saw his picture, i used that to show robertbank, he's been waiting for me to show him the factory enhanced model i got.

hermo, the new norincos you have described sounds sweet, too bad i wasn't able to drop by this gun show.

anyway, see you guys around...hey how is the galco paddle working with the USP?