1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Dan Wesson

Old 08-18-2004, 07:34 PM

Pointman PM3

Greetings
My first post. I was at the local gun shop and saw a Pointman PM3 for $499.00. Blued with fixed sights that look like Novak's. I went to the DW web page couldn't find anything on it. I could use some help guys. Does it have a cast or forged frame and is it worth the money? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polizei
Greetings
My first post. I was at the local gun shop and saw a Pointman PM3 for $499.00. Blued with fixed sights that look like Novak's. I went to the DW web page couldn't find anything on it. I could use some help guys. Does it have a cast or forged frame and is it worth the money? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum Polizei. To answer your questions, The Pointman series of pistols are made with cast frame and slides. Are they worth the money? Dunno. Don't own one....yet. From what I'm told, yes very much so. One thing is for sure, if anything breaks,Bob will fix it.
Do it. I'm gonna
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."George Washington
Old 08-18-2004, 09:38 PM

Did a search of this forum for PM3..

Came up with this link.. Hope it works...

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/sear...earchid=297772

There, that should keep you out of the bars for a bit!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:14 PM

Welcome, Polizei. Glad you found the forum!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:01 PM

The $499 is ok for a starting point. Since its out of production you should be able to deal it down. The PM3 was the entry level DW.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:26 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I think I'll look for a better model in the DW line or maybe I'll check out the Kimbers.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:45 PM

I have a Pointman Minor and can say that its very accurate, doesnt become a jam-o -matic and is deadly as Hell.
Hog hunting , I had wounded a hog and was tracking it in the dark , it charged and I shoot it in the face and it skidded to a stop at my feet, my hunting partner had his knife out for close quarter fighting.
I will never be able to shoot up to its accuaracy, It will shoot out a 4 inch circle on at 25 yards. This is 50 shoots.
When I took the CHL test --I scored best in class with an "antique" weapon. I was the most deadly person on the range that day.Nothing beats being an old deadly bastard. Interesting , no one called it an antuque after the shooting was over.
All in all --you will have a hard time beating it.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:36 PM

I too bought a minor not too long ago ...
tolerances are VERY tight - mine hates cheap ammo. Consistent FTEs after 45 rounds of Wally World Winchester white box. If I spend the extra dollar or 2, it operates perfectly for up to 300 rounds. (thats the most I've put through it in one range day)

Bushing wrench is mandatory for breakdown (not included with purchase)
300 rounds minimum for "break-in" - mine actually felt better after about 700 rounds and a tune up of the crappy sighting mechanism (IBall MK-1)

I've had folks actually ask me who does my gunsmithing when they see a "cheap" 45 drop 50 rds inside 5 inches at 25 yds (sitting and rested). My gunsmith, who had never fired a DW pointman was quite impressed with the out of the box action, he thought I had it tooled.

Honestly, I had regrets at first but now after it got used to me, I love it. Keep shooting, keep it clean, and be safe .... sound familiar??

If $$ = quality buy a Kimber (donít get me wrong , there great but you will pay a nice price)
however, if range performance + personal satisfaction = quality buy a pointman (or derivative - RZ-10 is a good choice, its purrty).
Old 08-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Banned

The Point man "Majors" are pretty good guns for the money, the newer ones had a forged slide and if it had Novak "style" sights, it's a newer one. $499 is a good price.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:45 PM

My PM3-P had 4 FTE's in the first 50 rounds. These were with UMC 230gr.RN. After that, I got one of the 100ct Winchester white box range ammo. I've since shot about 300 rds of the Winchester through it. Not one single problem. Accuracy is also more than I can use.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.--Thomas Jefferson