1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-10-2004, 09:07 PM

What's the most expensive 1911 you've ever seen?

What's the most expensive 1911 you've ever seen?

Mine was a US&S 1911A1 at a gunshow with a $2800 price tag.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:14 PM

Websurfing a while back I came acrossed a 'full package' gun from a custom maker with MSRP of 10,600. Unfortunately, I don't recall where/who.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 PM

The most expensive 1911 that I have touched was an engraved TRS. Quite nice.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:41 PM

Gunshow in Dallas I saw an original mint condition unrestored Singer from 1933. The guy wanted 30000 for the thing.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:33 PM

I think I saw an Ed Brown once...
Old 08-11-2004, 12:04 AM

I've seen several IPSC and Bianchi "race guns" priced over $4500.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmasTime
Gunshow in Dallas I saw an original mint condition unrestored Singer from 1933. The guy wanted 30000 for the thing.
500 Singer M1911A1s were made in late 1941, not 1933. I was able to examine a couple owned by a local collector. It was kinda weird to be handling a familiar-feeling M1911A1, and try to believe it was actually worth 50x more than the ones in my safe that look exactly the same aside from markings.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:13 AM

Not including certain GI 1911s with high collector value, I think one of the more pricey 1911s out there and actually available for ready consumer sale would be the all-titanium TIKI made by SVI, for somewhere in the $4K-$6K range.
http://www.sviguns.com/tiki_pr.html

Just outfitting and having a 1911 built from scratch with top quality bits can be pretty expensive too, as many of us here know!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:26 AM

The sighting system on that titanium gun is BIZARRE!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:27 AM

This may not be the most expensive 1911 on this thread but may qualify for most over-polished $10,000, three sold, sixteen left to go.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:07 AM

waah waah it has an external extractor, probably a FP safety, and needs wilson combat mags
Old 08-11-2004, 02:49 PM

long time ago.... I shot a Singer ( X- serial number) pre production pistol that belonged to a former Singer machinist... the guy had the Parkerize removed and the thing nicely blued in the 50's....I'm sure he has had it re Parkerized by now... regards
Old 08-11-2004, 05:12 PM

DSK, i am probably wrong about the year. It has been awhile, and i probably confused it for another antique type 1911 I saw. Regardless 30g's is outragous.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:39 PM
1911 Aficionado

Pre-war Colt National Match, tagged $4000. Morris Customs run $4000-$5000, as do Pistol Dynamics (Paul Liebenberg).
Old 08-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Snyder
long time ago.... I shot a Singer ( X- serial number) pre production pistol that belonged to a former Singer machinist... the guy had the Parkerize removed and the thing nicely blued in the 50's....I'm sure he has had it re Parkerized by now... regards
There are only the 500 documented Singers, #S800001-S800500. Lots of folks have mentioned "lunchbox" and "prototype" Singers but there is no proof any ever existed. All Singers were finished in a gloss Du-Lite blue finish, not parkerized.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:18 PM

Like dsk,earlier this year I got to examine 2 Singers,inside and out,that a friend owns.I was really surprised to see the excellent quality of the guns,considering they only made 500.I figured the finish would be somewhat rough,not so!
Even though they look like a couple of my old Colts,there's no way I could ever afford one.
I saw a 1911 in a museum last year that was labeled as once being owned by Alvin York.No idea what that one would be worth,I would have liked to have seen the documentation for it.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Rebelsoul, do you know what museum that was? There's a lot of speculation among collectors as to the whereabouts of Sgt. York's actual pistol. AFAIK it has never turned up. Maybe the museum simply displayed a 1911, and said it was the same kind as what Sgt. York used?
Old 08-11-2004, 08:21 PM

The most expensive 1911 style pistol I have seen/held was a springfield custom built on a Tripp/McCormick frame (I think, it's been 10 years). It was probably one of the first ever built if not the first. I'm not exactly sure of the dollar value on it but I would guess well over 4k and possibly up to 6k at the time.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:51 AM

If rare, expensive guns are your thing...or more importantly, looking at them, then you may want to plan a trip to Oklahoma. The Will Rogers gun museum in Claremore claims to be the largest. I don't know how true that is, but they do sport an extensive collection that most people drool over. Another point of interest would be Frank Phillip's Woolaroc museum (not that far from Will Rogers) they also have old, rare 1911's out the wazoo.

While you're in the neighborhood, be sure to stop by Tulsa. While I don't have a collection for you to drool over, I do have a friendly dog, a big pot of coffee, and a box of spare 1911 parts you can have if you want them.

Will also consider trade for donuts.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Randal
If rare, expensive guns are your thing...or more importantly, looking at them, then you may want to plan a trip to Oklahoma. The Will Rogers gun museum in Claremore claims to be the largest. I don't know how true that is, but they do sport an extensive collection that most people drool over. Another point of interest would be Frank Phillip's Woolaroc museum (not that far from Will Rogers) they also have old, rare 1911's out the wazoo.

While you're in the neighborhood, be sure to stop by Tulsa. While I don't have a collection for you to drool over, I do have a friendly dog, a big pot of coffee, and a box of spare 1911 parts you can have if you want them.

My soon to be father in law (3 weeks) lives in Skiatook, OK just a few miles north of you. Next time we roll through on a visit, we should go shooting
Old 08-12-2004, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk
Rebelsoul, do you know what museum that was? There's a lot of speculation among collectors as to the whereabouts of Sgt. York's actual pistol. AFAIK it has never turned up. Maybe the museum simply displayed a 1911, and said it was the same kind as what Sgt. York used?
dsk,the museum was in KY.I go to a lot of historic places in the south,so I'm almost 100% sure it was in Bardstown,KY.I saw it there last year.The pistol was displayed as once being owned by Alvin York and who it was on loan by.I asked a man who worked there if he knew anything else about it and he didn't.The surprising thing was to the best of my memory it was the right time frame to have been used by York in Oct.1918.The left side was the only side I could see and it had John M. Gilbert's inspection stamp in the usual place.Naturally,I couldn't see the serial number,and the card didn't say anything about it being used in the war by York.So,who knows what documentation is behind the pistol.
Alvin York was one of my biggest heroes when I was growing up here in Tn.I've been to his homeplace in Pall Mall,Tn. several years ago,before I was into 1911 pistols,but I'm almost certain I didn't see any guns there that had been used by him in the war.The house was full of his memorabilia,so I could have very well missed something.
It would be very interesting to find out something more about the gun in question,wouldn't it?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Randal

Hmm, I'm here in OKC at Tinker AFB, and never knew any of that. I did go to some infantry museum in the city that had a mirror from Hitler's personal belongings among a few other things. I don't recall seeing any 1911s there, but it's very possible they have a few there. Also, I'll be heading through Tulsa tomorrow on my way home to good ol' Pennsylvania on leave. Can;'t wait to get home!