1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 07-27-2004, 01:07 PM

Texas Heritage or VM2

I am looking for a quality, leather, IWB holster, that pulls the grip in close, has a sweatshield to help keep the ambi-safety from digging, has the clips/loops spaced to distrubute the weight and has the option of being tuckable. For this purpose I have narrowed my choice down to the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and the Tucker Texas Heritage. Both seem to be well liked on this forum. Has anyone done a comparison of these two? I appreciate any comments.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:13 PM

marshall--

Holster selection is a personal thing. What fits well for one may or may not be the best fit for another. Both Tucker and Milt Sparks make excellent products. Consider ordering one of each (depending upon return policy) to determine which is best for you.

Good luck in your decision.

Regards,

Craig

www.lasports.biz
Old 07-27-2004, 10:47 PM

Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallartist
I am looking for a quality, leather, IWB holster, that pulls the grip in close, has a sweatshield to help keep the ambi-safety from digging, has the clips/loops spaced to distrubute the weight and has the option of being tuckable. For this purpose I have narrowed my choice down to the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and the Tucker Texas Heritage. Both seem to be well liked on this forum. Has anyone done a comparison of these two? I appreciate any comments.
You can't go wrong with a Versamax II. I've never heard of anyone who didn't like theirs. I did have to take back a Texas Heritage once.

The Versamax II is prettier and has has a reinforced mouth. The Texas Heritage is thinner. They both get the job done very well.

I like the clip system a lot. There are four different kinds available for the Texas Heritage and all are tuckable out of the box. On the other hand, Tony Kanaly from Milt Sparks is taller and better-looking than I am.

Tough choice but you can't go wrong either way as long as you don't vote for John Kerry.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:28 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, Tony Kanaly from Milt Sparks is taller and better-looking than I am.....Tough choice but you can't go wrong either way as long as you don't vote for John Kerry.
Hehe-you sir just earned a future purchase from me! (In fact, I'm thinking I should have come and seen you first anyway for your, ahem, Answer. My new CTAC is nice, but is eating my side up a bit. I dunno, maybe the wife will like a Kydex inspired callus on my back to go along with the hair )

Cruc
Old 07-30-2004, 12:45 AM

Crucible
I took a heat gun to my C-TAC and reshaped the area around the thumb safety and put some of that Dr.Scholls Moleskin padding on the spots that rub. It's much more comfortable now. I wear it in the small of my back because I just don't like IWB holsters on my side.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:10 AM

Sparks holsters are without a doubt some of the finest out there. I use a VMII for both my ProCDP and Glock30 and they're terrific, and I also use a Sparks NLG for OWB carry. Bought both from Craig and Audrey, and didn't have to pay extra for the abuse that Audrey delights in giving me! They are great people who really take care of their customers.

The VMII does NOT have a sweat shield, and although I usually desire one in my carry holsters frankly the holster is of such high quality and comfort that I don't really miss the sweat shield at all.

Please consider a good gun belt to go along with your holster choice as it does make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 07-30-2004, 01:36 AM

Hey Horseman,

I'm out here waiting to give you some more aggravation, at no extra charge.

Thank you for your kind words.

Audrey

www.lasports.biz
Old 07-30-2004, 04:05 AM

I have both. When I need to have my shirt tucked in I wear the Tucker holster. I bought the clips with the VMII, but quickly went back to the leather loops on this holster. The VMII makes me look like I have a growth on my hip when tucked in because of the reinforced mouth. If it were a beauty contest the VMII would win hands down. I like both holsters do not get me wrong. It is much easier to get your gun back in the holster with VMII. However, If I were to buy another holster today it would be the new Heritage holster that has the reinforced mouth like this http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/tehepl.html.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:41 AM

TLE-I was considering doing something similar, and even went to the places that men do not tread to search for some decent material: fabric stores Moleskin was something I had forgotten completely-thanks.

I'm still looking, but some of the short list is :

-neoprene (it works well enough for my fishing waders, is comfortable and does not chaff and is a natural sweat barrier)

-cotton (the fabric store has rolls of 1/4" thick natural cotton that's very soft but seems as tough as a good peice of felt)

-leather

-?

The idea is to either make a form fitting piece that attaches to the holster like what you did with the moleskin, or if that turns out to be insufficient: a larger than the holster piece that uses two layers of the material sandwiching a thin piece of, I dunno, hard plastic or something between them to give it shape and use velcro to attach it.

I should have bought the damn Answer in retrospect, and while I *really* love the way the Heritage posted earlier, total leather holsters generally don't allow the use of different length 1911's the way Kydex can.

Cruc
Old 07-31-2004, 12:06 AM

Audrey,

Are you old enough to remember Mr Ed? If so, all I can say is..........OHHHHH, WILLLLLBURRRRRR!

Seriously, folk, LAS is good troops and they stand by their products 100%. They will bust their posterior anatomical regions to make their customers happy.

Mike
Old 08-01-2004, 10:38 PM

Well, this post is a few months old,,, what holster did you buy??? I own a Milt sparks and love it - however, I have a "Tucker" on order from Rob... As in Robs words (Tony is better looking than Rob???) I am not sure about that but I will NOT vote for Kerry and Robs customer service is 120% to the positive.... I would go with Tucker....
Old 09-30-2004, 11:29 PM

I guess I got sidetracked and never did let you guys know what I did. Well, with the end of the AWB approaching I decided to divert the funds and I am now the proud owner of an AR-15. But I did pick up a VM2 off the classified forum and am looking forward to giving it a try. I'll probably buy a Texas Heritage and C-TAC before the end of the year. Ya know these things are so addictive.