1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 07-25-2004, 05:59 PM

Proper Trigger Finger Placement

Since I bought my Dillon 550 I have been shooting alot more. Now I have the pistol dialed in with a load I have been trying different things. I learned quickly wrapping the trigger finger arouind the trigger is not good. My groups were all over the place. Went back to just using the pad of my finger and group went back to normal.

Just wanted to share.
or end the suspense!
Old 07-25-2004, 07:32 PM

I shoot better with the trigger 1 1/2 knuckles back from my finger tip. I have been told 'move it out towards the tip more and you'll shoot better."

I shot worse and went back to where it was. We're all different, I guess.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:24 PM

IF you're shooting for Bullseye precision, the 'pad' of your finger is the right place. Trigger length itself is also very important. Here's the test. Grip the pistol normally and put your finger on the trigger about halfway between the tip and the first crease (knuckle). With the pistol in front of you like you're holding someone up, raise your forearm up to point the muzzle at the ceiling. Look in a mirror to see if your finger is 90 degrees across the trigger shoe. If it isn't, the trigger is either too long or too short and for serious competition, should be changed to suit your hand/finger configuration.
If your finger is at 90 degrees, then the way to determine whether your finger position is correct is to dryfire the piece and see if the front sight deflects either right or left when the hammer falls. If it doesn't...great, but if it does, just move your finger a little, one way or the other, until that front sight stays still when the trigger stops its rearward motion. Your object is to accomplish a straight-to-the-rear trigger squeeze. Enough dryfiring and muscle memory will take over and you won't have to worry about it at the range.
Sorry I got so wordy here, but I figured you may as well have the whole picture.

Bob
Old 07-26-2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown
IF you're shooting for Bullseye precision, the 'pad' of your finger is the right place. Trigger length itself is also very important. Here's the test. Grip the pistol normally and put your finger on the trigger about halfway between the tip and the first crease (knuckle). With the pistol in front of you like you're holding someone up, raise your forearm up to point the muzzle at the ceiling. Look in a mirror to see if your finger is 90 degrees across the trigger shoe. If it isn't, the trigger is either too long or too short and for serious competition, should be changed to suit your hand/finger configuration.
If your finger is at 90 degrees, then the way to determine whether your finger position is correct is to dryfire the piece and see if the front sight deflects either right or left when the hammer falls. If it doesn't...great, but if it does, just move your finger a little, one way or the other, until that front sight stays still when the trigger stops its rearward motion. Your object is to accomplish a straight-to-the-rear trigger squeeze. Enough dryfiring and muscle memory will take over and you won't have to worry about it at the range.
Sorry I got so wordy here, but I figured you may as well have the whole picture.

Bob
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try and see what I come up with.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilr95ss
Since I bought my Dillon 550 I have been shooting alot more. Now I have the pistol dialed in with a load I have been trying different things. I learned quickly wrapping the trigger finger arouind the trigger is not good. My groups were all over the place. Went back to just using the pad of my finger and group went back to normal.

Just wanted to share.
I tend to twist the gun when pulling the trigger w/ anything further in than the pad of my finger.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:36 PM

I am a pad man myself. Just can't do it any other way.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:01 PM

Given my experience with DA pistols, I tend towards my first joint. It gives me better control. I do not like using the pad and find it difficult to do so. That whole muscle memory thing. I will try the suggested drill though, and see what I come up with.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:47 AM

This article recommends finger placement at the distal joint:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html
Old 07-29-2004, 11:31 AM

"...dryfire the piece and see if the front sight deflects either right or left when the hammer falls."

IMO, I think this is a great method to find your individual finger "sweet spot".

While testing placement, however I purposefully jerk the trigger (not to establish a bad habit, but to minimize any unintentional lapse of technique)! I've found that with enough concentration I can perform a good pull from any finger position, but I think the best placement should require the least effort in this respect. Please don't confuse what I'm saying with trigger jerking "practice"; after you find your placement stick to it, and use good form.

For me, the spot is about 2/3 of the way from the tip to the first knuckle; I now have a little calaus there!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:02 PM

Off the trigger
Sights on target
Clear with good backstop
On the trigger

Lets be safe out there.

Old 07-29-2004, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown

Bob
Some things require more words than others.... Excellent response!
I have a very smooth tip on my triger finger almost directly in line with the middle of the nail.

Last edited by Maj Tom; 07-29-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:56 AM

If I were shooting a gun with a trigger pull of 2 1/2 lbs., or less, then I would agree with the experts advice of using the tip of the finger. With a trigger pull of 3 1/2 - 5 lbs., I can control each ounce of pressure MORE PRECISELY by using the first joint of my trigger finger. Same reason that I can control a gun with a smaller grip, rather than one with a large grip. I also prefer the SHORT trigger on a 1911A1.

Last edited by Doug 29; 07-30-2004 at 09:58 AM.