1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 09-15-2001, 08:40 AM

Colt Mark IV Series 80 .38 Super

Purchased a Colt Mark IV Series 80 (blue/flattop/NIB) .38 Super this week and took it to the range.

Fit and finish was excellent and accuracy was awesome. I had NO malfunctions of any kind using 4 different Colt mags.

This gun is fabulous and is my second Colt to have no problems out of the box (first one was the Gold Cup Trophy SS I purchased a few weeks ago).

This is my first .38 Super and is a fun gun to shoot. I used PMC and Winchester ammo; the Winchester ammo seemed considerably hotter (and louder) than the PMC. Both ammo worked fine.

I may have to get another one of these while they're available!
Old 09-15-2001, 02:30 PM

Although Colt does not list .38 Super models (since 1996), they are still in production out of the custom shop. Various new models continue to turn up because the caliber does have a following. You also see the last of the so-called "enhanced" versions still around from 1995-96. It is a good alternative to the .45 ACP version. Everyone needs to add one to his or her 1911 collection.
Old 09-15-2001, 02:51 PM

I just logged on to post about the same model, which I purchased this morning. This is also my 1st .38 super, and after going to the range I find it hard to believe I havent purchased one before this.

The gun is absolutely gorgeous, and it shoots as well as it looks. I shot 2 boxes of whitebox winchester and a box of corbons with no failures. I know this is no break-in torture test but I was thrilled the gun shot and feed as reliably as it did. The white box winchester produced a pretty entertaining flash and the gun over all was very pleasant to shoot.
Old 09-15-2001, 09:47 PM

Put another couple hundred rounds through the Mark IV this evening. Still no malfunctions. The Winchester does indeed produce a big flash and is quite different from the PMC although both brands continue to perform well.

I was told by a dealer today that Colt is producing new .38 Supers as Drago mentioned. They are not the Mark IV Series 80 and as such I'd like to find out how they are different (was told the finish was flat versus the polished blue but no other details). I do know that my El Rey is different, the most noticeable being the grip safety and the serrations being vertical instead of slanted.

I continue to really like this gun.

Could you please explain to me what the "enhanced" versions are. I think I read about it somewhere but still get confused over the "enhanced", "O", Series 80, etc.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by QB (edited 09-15-2001).]
Old 09-17-2001, 07:45 PM

Colt made "Enhanced" versions of the Goverment, the Commander, and the Officer's Models from 1991 to 1996 (approx.). These pistols feature a flat top (like the Gold Cup), wide grip safety, slanted rear slide serrations, a little higher cut under the trigger guard, scalloped ejection port, slotted hammer, and a few other touches including a long trigger and flat mainspring housing. As I recall, enhanced versions have an "E" in the serial number.

These pistols, with so-called "customized features" were to complement the then new 1991-A1 versions, which featured near mil-spec features. Both versions are Series 80 models in that they have the firing pin safety. While living in OK during this time, I saw frequently models in .45 ACP and .38 Super.

I acquired a stainless steel Enhanced Gov't Model (.45 ACP) around 1994. It was okay, but the thumb safety was pitted, Break-Free removed the three dots on the sights, and the trigger was heavy and mushy. Had I been of some patience, I would have tucked it away for a trip to a decent custom shop, but I sold it in a financial crunch about a year later.

Of late, I have seen some 1991-A1 models in .38 Super but not many. Of course, the "El" pistols continue.

[This message has been edited by Drago (edited 09-17-2001).]