1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 06-19-2004, 09:17 AM

Single vs. Double Stack 1911 Pistols

I am just new with 1911 type of pistols and that is why I am asking this question.The question is:Aside from a Double Stack 1911 pistol holding more rounds,what are it's advantages over a Single Stack 1911 pistol?Also,if there are any advantages of a Single Stack 1911 pistol over a Double Stack 1911 pistol,what are they?
THANKS.

baron45
Old 06-19-2004, 09:40 AM

it is easy to find real good magazine for a single stack...
Old 06-19-2004, 10:39 AM

I'd say the ONLY advantage for ME in double-stacks is high cap. But for me, 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP in a very accurate, heavy pistol is all I need. The single stack is less prone to jam, and fits waaaay better my medium size hands.

Alex.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:21 AM

Grip on a single stack is a lot more apt to fit a wider range of hand sizes, more accesories out there, mags are a lot cheaper then a double stack, easier to conceal if ccw carry, seem to be less apt to malfunction as rounds only single stack[especially if dirty] mag springs in single stacks last longer on average. Truth is you really have at most 2 more shots then a 8+1, so whats the big advantage? Big ole DoubleStacks lost a lot of ground when the PCBC did the hi cap ban. The ccw interest also lost them ground in the market in 45 especially. Its a big round to double up, not like a 9 or 40. Heck I carry a Single stack 9mm most of the time in the summer [7+1] and feel reasonably well protected, I would prefer a 45 but hey, shorts and a tee shirt do not make the ideal ccw outfit. [I am still on the sidelines on the chopped 1911 design [3 or 3.5] as I am convinced it's a crapshoot if they work correctly.]
Old 06-19-2004, 11:40 AM

The grip size of the double column weapon makes it a lot harder to IWB CCW.
It's really a lot larger and heavier then needed when you can get the job done
with 7+ (aimed) Jhp's and if needed, you could always pack a spare magazine or two.

Last edited by 45CAL; 06-19-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Administrator

I once owned a Para P.14, and when I used it during an IPDA event I found I was actually slower to draw and get off an accurate first shot, due to difficulty getting a good purchase on the grip. The thin slab sides of a single-stack makes it slide right into the hand faster, at leat to me. So, if I'm in competition shooting a stage that doesn't require reloads a double-stack is probably better. But for 99% of my other needs I'll take the single stack!
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:34 PM

Single Stack is the Way to Go

Hi! I had to chime in on this one. My first 1911 was a hi-cap P-13 from Para-Ordnance. I wanted a .45 because it's a big bullet and the Para offered a lot of them in a mag. Then the Para wouldn't work, and I discovered the single-stack Colt 1991 fit my hand better, and that a good shot doesn't need 13 bullets, so I made the transition. The P-13 remains at the bottom of the safe, and the single-stack Colt sees more range time than anything else I have. The single-stack feels better, points better, shoots better.

But you must make your own decision; I'm sure you will buy the gun you want. Then you'll go back and get the other gun, too. --Brian
Old 06-19-2004, 03:48 PM

Single Stack is Best for real world use.....

The high caps/double stacks sound nice, in theory...but leave alot to be desired in the reliability department. And the bottomline for a gun that may be used to save your life is reliability!
To get the true high caps, you spend alot more money on mags, have to change the mag springs more often, and even still it may not run flawless. I'd say they are more for the competition crowd.
It is also a bit larger in the grip, and when you have practised(and practised) where the draw stroke is a near subconscious event, that grip change does make a difference! The larger width is also harder to conceal the piece IWB in CCW abd the mags are significantly fatter for concealment.
All my 1911's are single stack, cause they are all carry guns and they MUST work. I have experimented with the double stacks, but have found them wanting on several levels(and I cannot afford a safequeen...well maybe a WWI Repro).
That is my 2 cent take!
Jercamp45
Less than I will get!

Old 06-19-2004, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb-1
In my opinion, there is absolutely no advantage to owning a double stack over a single stack 1911.

Be well!
I like that. Short, strait, truthfull.

Alex.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:01 PM

For a 1911, I would absolutely go single stack. As others have said, way more comfortable (the double column 1911's are kinda blocky in the grip) Also, you can get 7 round single column mags for as little as $6, a Para P-14 mag will run you about $80-$100 if you can find one. If you want a double column .45, look into the more modern designs that were built around such a concept (HK-USP, Sig P-220, CZ-97B, Etc.) Just my $0.02
Old 06-20-2004, 12:46 AM

I guess its just a matter of preference. I have big hands and have access to high-cap mags that's why I went for it. As to the reliabiliity department, its just a matter of being familiar with your weapon. Dang, even Sigs, Glocks and others have some problems and weaknesses that can be addressed. If you decided on the single stack/high cap thing, shoot it well and if problems persist, consult your gunsmith.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:28 AM

I can handle both just fine if they're set up right. If you're diligent enough to maintain the mags (and rich enough to buy them) and the double stack fits your hand just right, I see no reason not to go for them.
That said, skill beats capacity

I used to frequent a range that would have local cops in on a regular basis to qualify, and I'd often shoot with them. On more than one occasion, I got two eight round mags through my .45 faster and with better accuracy than they could one 15 round mag from their Berettas during the 25 yard rapid fire stage
Old 06-20-2004, 04:36 AM

Double stacks are ok for me, but then, I am godlike.

Fool me twice...................I'll beat you to near death.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:25 AM

Loaded double stack pistols get heavy in a hurry. Does this matter? Yes, if you use a 1911 for a carry weapon. Regards, Richard
Old 06-20-2004, 09:40 AM

For ccw, a single stack, Al frame with slimline grips. When I’m sound asleep and something goes bump in the night, I grab my P14-45. Each has their time and place. It entirely depends on your purchase intentions, desire (or lack there of) to own multiple firearms, willingness to train with each, etc. It’s much easier to decide when the intended use is specific (target, ccw, home defense, competition, plinking…). It’s much more difficult to address what’s the best “all around” choice.

Ask yourself two basic questions: 1) What’s the primary intended use? 2) How does single or double stack make a difference for you?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:51 AM

I've checked out the double stack paras also just recently and did not like the way they feel.Like holding a 2x4.Too blocky,and i can imagine it'd be alot heavier than a single stack with a full mag. Stick with the single.And buy American.

Best.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."George Washington
Old 06-20-2004, 10:07 AM

I have both but-

My $.o2. I have just gotten my CCW. I own both single and double, and I am using my Colt CCO. It's lighter and hides much better for me. So that would be single.
A cop is just another stranger with a gun.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:55 AM

All winter I carried a P-14. It is heavier, but with a good belt and holster is was'nt uncomfortable at all. It is nice having 14 rounds on deck. Is it something I'd carry in the summer, most likely not. The DS's fit me fine, and if you can afford the mags, are fun at the range, and make a good HD pistol.

Fool me twice...................I'll beat you to near death.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Loaded double stack pistols get heavy in a hurry. Does this matter? Yes, if you use a 1911 for a carry weapon. Regards, Richard
Truth, but it's soooooo picking nits, especially if you're the type, as I am, to throw on a full size steel government model and go about your day.
If the magazine capacity cap BS expires along with the AWB in September, I'm going to go double stack for the first time, I know that much. Hopefully the mags will get reasonable. Heh.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:31 AM

HA.....Lots of Dogma in this thread. My SV infinity doublestack is by far the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. Would I carry it concealed? Of course not, it is setup with a large magwell and adjustable Bomar sights for shooting IPSC. I would definitely, though, think of the SV DS modular frame as an excellent platform for a carry weapon if built with that priority in mind. 20 rounds of .40SW are very enticing for protection.....
Old 06-22-2004, 08:26 AM

Easy. With the 1911 design- reliability.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:16 AM

I would put it something like this:

+ More rounds
+ Easier reloads (mag tapered at top, bigger hole in grip)
- Less reliable in .45 ACP
- Harder to conceal
- Worse ergonomics if you don't have huge hands
- Mags are more expensive
- Greater weight
Old 06-22-2004, 12:35 PM

In my humble opinion the benefit of having both single and double stack 1911's is the option of having either. Question: What is the true benefit of the "Commander" sized 1911's or Kimber Compact? Answer: More options equal more choices and the chance to find the "perfect" pistol for an individual and their intended purpose. Or in my case more money spent to try something different/new...LOL.

Spec
Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I once owned a Para P.14, and when I used it during an IPDA event I found I was actually slower to draw and get off an accurate first shot, due to difficulty getting a good purchase on the grip. The thin slab sides of a single-stack makes it slide right into the hand faster, at leat to me. So, if I'm in competition shooting a stage that doesn't require reloads a double-stack is probably better. But for 99% of my other needs I'll take the single stack!
I just wanted to respond to your quote. I agree. I drove my 1911 MC Operator to Jason at SA and told him my needs. (Backpacking/Mountaineering Guide) We sat down and went through the list and I only had him install the components that would make the gun more versatile like a magwell well with lanyard for my backpack holster. Checkering on the front strap for grip in the rain. Amby mag release as I am left handed and slam pads for ease of use. To complete it I added a laser light combo. An Outward bound instructor told us a story one time about another instructor that went back to town for help alone out of the mountains. He found a mountain lion waiting for him across the river . He decided not to cross so the cat walked with him a while. Fearing for his life he threw rocks at the cat and yelled at it. It left after a rock to the forehead but I guess he was pretty scared alone then on.

I asked if the guy carried a pistol for protection and the instructor laughed and explained that we are on the mountain lions property and if you get killed its part of the circle of life.

Since then I lost a lot of respect for that instructor since now I am the one leading men into the backcountry. Why would you not protect yourself and your group? Attacks are more and more common. How many attacks get eliminated from a couple of warning shots?
Attached Thumbnails
100KB.jpg  

Douglas MacArthur