1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 06-12-2004, 12:20 PM

Kimber Custom TLE II Reviews

Hello all. I am new to these forums, and it appears I found them just in time! I turn 21 in July and plan on purchasing my first gun. I have been a big fan of 1911's since I have started shooting, and have narrowed it down to a Kimber Custom TLE II. These are beautiful guns and I have heard great things about them.

Anyone who currently has a TLE II, would you mind posting your reviews of this gun? I have heard only good things so far, but thought I would ask around here. After searching these forums, it appears that most people on here like them as well.

Also, what are some good mags to order for it? I will be shooting IDPA. If you could point me towards some QUALITY magazines, I would appreciate it!
Old 06-12-2004, 05:42 PM

Nobody has anything to say about a Kimber Custom TLE II?
Old 06-12-2004, 05:57 PM

2 Thumbs Up.....Way Up!

I bought one as soon after they were available as I could get one. I've never had one single problem out of it. I now have approximately 2500 rounds through it. I've shot IDPA and taken numerous classes with it. IMHO, it's THE Kimber to buy. It has everything you'd want and nothing you don't need. I would buy Wilson 8rd mags for it. The 47D is the stainless 8rd with plastic basepad, but there is a 47DCB that is stainless with a black coating and low profile metal basepad that I use because it matches the black gun. Get you one and enjoy!
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:01 PM

Accurate, and stone cold reliable. Night sights are very bright. Thumb safety is too fat for me at the back where it hits my knuckle.

It's almost boring, I shoot it, I clean it, repeat. Other than the thumb safety, I cant find anything that "needs" to be changed. I have put thin grips on it and replaced the FLGR/plug with a "normal" GR/plug because I dont like FLGR's.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:11 PM

I appreciate your input very much guys! I am pretty sure I am going to buy the Wilson 47D mags. So the different "D" mags simply mean they are made differently or are a different color? I think I will go with the regular 47Ds. Thanks again.

Steven
Old 06-12-2004, 07:13 PM

I bought the SS version a few days ago, and have 4 days left on the waiting period before I can pick it up. So, in preparation for my enjoyment I ordered some slim Alumagrips and 5 Wilson 47D magazines. On pick up day I plan to spend the full day at the range to pump 500 – 1000 rounds through it. Can’t wait!
Old 06-12-2004, 08:15 PM

Get the Stainless one!!!! Worth the extra for the finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2004, 08:48 PM

I like the way the black one looks better....
Old 06-13-2004, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath
No doubt about that, it's the excessive wear that concerns me. The black oxide finish wears off way too fast. Well faster than normal. Just a heads up.
Also Metalform mags worked great for me, try the 45-797w. Stainless steel, 7 round, rounded follower, fixed base with a wolff extra power spring. I would suggest joining a group buy for these for the big savings.

Last edited by teamjkd; 06-13-2004 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:28 AM

Custom TLE II

I've owned and carried the Custom TLE II for about a year and a half now and have nothing but good to say about it. The only thing I've done to it was change the grips. Took a nice white tail buck with it last November during deer season down here. You won't regret the TLE II.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Good for you! I like black much better also. Yeah, the black oxide finish starts to wear off, but thats proof that you've been practicing your draw. Blue & Black finishes get character with use, while stainless just starts to look haggard. If you manage to wear off all the black oxide finish in a few years, send it somewhere to have an even better dark finish applied if you want. My bet is you'll like it with the wear though. My use of FP-10 has kept rust at ZERO even using an IWB holster.

Congradulations on your upcomming birthday, and for finding one of the best shooting sites on the web.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:38 AM

My favorite gun in the Kimber line. But it's being strongly tested right now by its sibling, the TLE/RL Pro.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:08 AM

I won't say it's been all good. Just a heads up for you.

The slide/frame fit was too tight on my gun. I took it home the first day. I cleaned it. I lubed it. The slide didn't slide. It bound up. Numerous FTFs, FTEs, FTRBs that day. Gun went back to Kimber. It came back okay. Only FTRBs, FTFs with Speer Lawman which started to get better (less frequent). Eventually, my problem became FTRBs only with my Wilson #47 magazine on the last round and some FTFs on my 10-round Chip McCormick magazine (not a Power Mag). So, now what I use is only Kimber OEM blued steel 7-round mags, because that works for me. It's flawless now, but only if I use the Kimber mags. There might be some other ones out there that will work, but if I have one type that works...well...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I might try a Metalform mag sometime.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:43 AM

I think I will be ordering the Wilson 47D mags. I was going to order Chip McCormick mags till I read that sticky on the forums. I have heard that it is good to leave new mags loaded for a month or 2 to get the spring worn in.

When you all talk about the finish wearing off, does it look absolutely horrible? My father gave me his pre-ban Beretta92F, made in Italy, black. Beautiful gun. Of course some of the finish is wearing off on the edges from my IDPA shooting, but it doesn't bother me in the least! Is the finish wear on the Kimber excessive or something?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:33 AM

Wear

Mine shows just a little wear after a year and a half, but I look at it as more "character" than wear. You carry a pistol long enough in any kind of holster it's going to show "character."
Old 06-13-2004, 08:15 PM

My TLE has been great. I have around 4,000 rounds through it. I have never had a failure with factory ammo, however, it is a little sensitive to crimp. It would jam up a little bit when my friends Defender didn't with some of my reloads before I got the crimp dialed in. The chamber is a tad tight. That was an ammo problem. If I had the option when I bought it I would have got the stainless. My TLE has a SS frame and a blue slide, so no easy blue jobs for it. A Smith and Alexander magwell slid right on, and looks great with no blending. Great pistol.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:17 PM

Without a doubt one of the best bang for the buck 1911's that money can buy.

I have put a few thousand rounds through mine and have not have one (I kid you not!) malfunction. Most of that was Winchester white box, but regardless, it has performed flawlessly. I am 100% satisfied with my TLE RL and consider it one of my favorite weapons. If you are serious about buying one, you have my recommendation.....

BTW, I use nothing but 47D's. I have about 8 of them that I cycle the rounds thru.....

Last edited by HuskerMike; 06-15-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:23 PM

My stainless TLE had 3 misfeeds in the first 200 rounds. Each of them happened with the Wilson 47D mags on the last round of the clip. The round would hang on the feed ramp part of the frame. I took it home and smoothed that part out a little with a dremel, felt wheel and some flitz paste. It never jammed with the kimber 7 rounders. It has about 400 rounds through it now with no more misfeeds. It's more accurate than my hk usp so I'm happy

Dave
Old 06-15-2004, 08:27 PM

My TLE came from Kimber with a bad extractor (bottom edge was chipped). I replaced it with an Ed Brown hardcore and its been flawless ever since.
Joe
Old 06-15-2004, 11:23 PM

Are there any differences between the Wilson 47D's and the 47DCB's besides color?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:37 AM

bump on the differences between 47D and 47DCB
Old 06-19-2004, 12:57 AM

Love my TLEII only change is a set of wood grips. Mine is in the black finish. I would carry it as my primary if I were slightly larger but so sorry. I just got a set of Wolff spings for it I'm approaching the 1500 mark very quickly. Ive had the gun just 5 months and truly love it in fact carry it in a Jackass shoulder rig when out prospecting, never know what you will run into out there one of the critters that goes buzzz or one that goes bang.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Are there any differences between the Wilson 47D's and the 47DCB's besides color?
Nope!
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pistol Pete
Nope!
I am going with the DCB's then simply for the fact that you stated you used them. I think they will look much better in a black gun than the stainless versions. I have heard some good things about them. I hope I don't have problems with a "weak spring" or whatever some people seem to be complaining about on here. Ah well, if I do I can always send them back for another.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:41 PM

I got some of the black Wilson mags when they first came out and the finish wore very quickly looking like C**p in short order. Maybe they are better now but I'm sticking with the regular 47D's.