1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 06-05-2004, 08:50 PM

My new Smith and Wesson Model 17

Folks! I have just acquired a used Model 17, blue, 6 inch, 6-shot Smith and Wesson revolver! For $300, I had to have it! Trigger pull is out of this world! Crisp and light in single action and light, smooth and predictable in the double action mode.

I have shot several revolvers before but I have never owned any. Can anyone clue me in on some things? First, which frame size does Model 17 have? Is there any way to tell when this paticular peice was made using the serial number? I went to the Smith and Wesson website and they have a history letter they could sell me for $30. I would rather keep my $30 and spend it on some great ammo instead.

I have some rubber pachmeyer grips on it. While they feel comfy and all, I would like to get some nice original wood grips. The guy at the store started laughing at me when I asked and said "good luck!" Is that really such a big problem?

What else should I know about this firearm?
Old 06-05-2004, 09:12 PM

I have a M-17 (K-22) also for the second time. I got rid of my first one in a stupid moment. I now have another one that was made in 1972 with target trigger and a target hammer. they are a very nice revolver. I have a M-14 (K-38) in 38 special just like it that was made in 1960. I have Hogue wood grips on both.
they are "K" frame revolvers and for serial number history look for the book by Roy Jenks on S & W history. this book will give serial number and year
Old 06-05-2004, 09:54 PM

I just examined the revolver and the markings are as follows (in addition to all the normal Smith and Wesson logo and warning on the barrel and frame):

Serial number 97K216x on the butt plate.

Number "4" within a six-sided box, followed by 04548 and letter "T" within a triangle on the right side of the grip

On the left side of the grip: "C15", "B25", "B12" and "5" (almost upside down) then 56451

Under the cylinder swing-out arm: serial number 97K216x, "MOD. 17-4"

On the swing-out arm itself: "C15" and 56451

Revolver has a really smooth double-action and very light single-action trigger. Frame seems to have 3 screws. Also, the rear sight has white outline. (This is what made me like the gun so much!)

Can anyone tell me what all this means? What is the date of manufacture? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ikorman; 06-05-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Banned

The gun was made on the Medium size K frame. I can't help you out on manufacturing date.
As for grips If you want the originials call Pat Frates up at Smith and wesson customer service and I'm sure she can help you out. I have to warn you the originial grips where probably the skinny service style grips that covered the edges of the grip frame.
The two companies that come to mind for after market grips for it would be Herrets and Blue Magnum grips ( They make the old Skeeter Skelton grip)
I don't have web addresses, Maybe somebody else can help us out.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:35 PM

ikorman,

Your S&W 17-4 was made about 1981. It is known as the K22 Masterpiece and is built on the K target frame. It may or may not have a pinned barrel as it was with the -4s that the pinned barrels were eliminated. I assume your piece has a 6" barrel that is ribbed along the top, Patridge style front sight with white outline fully adjustable rear. Square butt style grip frame. The backstrap should have 10 grooves fore and aft. The proper grips would be the S&W target grips the ones that are rather large and fill the hand and not the older and smaller Magna style, but any current S&W grips that feel good to you would be proper.

To learn more about your gun and the many excellent variations of this piece you can take a look at "The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson" by Supica and Nahas and a trip to www.smith-wessonforum.com can also help.

Enjoy your gun it's a good one and a classic. Post a pic when you can.

tipoc
Old 06-06-2004, 03:24 PM

Congrats on the M 17. If you keep an eye on the classifieds on the S&W forum you should be able to find some grips that will fill your needs. You can also check out E-Bay there will be some there as well.
You should not have to pay much more than 20 to 25 bucks.
Personaly, I like the Magna grips with a T-Tyler grip adaptor.

This is no a 17 but it is an 18 just to show the grip set up.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Model 18.jpg  
Old 06-06-2004, 07:08 PM

Here are some pics:

Old 06-06-2004, 07:49 PM

ikorman, congrats on the great find. I`ve had a 17-3 about 25 years that I would never ever sell, period. There is no finer .22 revolver. Find you a set of original S&W target grips. No matter how much you have to pay. Bob
Old 06-06-2004, 10:04 PM

Nice gun. You have a pinned bbl. Short throw hammer with the overtravel limit , thats the thing at the rear of the trigger. Target hammer and trigger.
Good shoting.

tipoc
Old 07-05-2004, 03:50 PM

That is a nice model 17, it's a keeper. I had one just like it. The ones that came w/ target trigger & target hammer, like yours, also came w/ target grips. You can usually find them on ebay. I have a k22 masterpiece in the original gold box, another pre model 17, a model 17, model 18 and a model 617 in 8-3/8" barrel. I wouldn't sell any of them. You have a gun that you can enjoy for a lifetime.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:32 AM

I just got these two old pistols, k22 and k38 both five screw models with numbered grips.