1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

View Poll Results: How long do you spend cleaning your 1911?
15 min. 36 15.86%
30 min. 93 40.97%
45 min. 36 15.86%
1 hour 31 13.66%
over 1 hr.- I'm nuts too! 31 13.66%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2004, 01:41 AM

average cleaning time

I must be a lunatic. Does it take anyone else almost two hours to clean their 1911? My wife thinks I'm crazy; and for once I think she may be right! I can't help it though; I can't have one speck of dirt on my pistol or it will irritate me. I'm not like this with anything else, but my TLE gets an A+ treatment after every range session. Oh well, maybe that's why I've never had any failures with her.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Banned

5-10 minutes, tops.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:07 AM

Takes me about 30 minutes to do a complete teardown, clean, oil and reassembly. Could probably do it faster, but I like taking my time and closely inspecting every part.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:10 AM

Clean by running a bore brush soaked in solvent followed by running through until patches are completely clean [come out looking the same as they did going in], then I run lightly oiled patches down through untill clean [come out looking the same as they did going in]. Then I run through with dry until one goes through and comes out white [come out looking the same as they did going in]. Then I spray Brake cleaner down teh bore, to chemically degrease and dry teh bore. Then a final oiled patch. The next day I repeat all but the solvent. I go through a lot of patches, at least 100 per rifle. after 5 outings, I add a further stage of solvet for copper to remove copper fouling, Hoppe's makes a great copper remover. If your rifle isn;t clean after this, you're going to have to use a stainless steel brush. Stainless steel brushes, as it is as hard or harder than the steel of your barrel, will scratch the barell and riflings, so please avoid using them unless it is still not clan after this;

A way I have found to clean stubbornly dirty bores, [and surplus corrosive ammo] is to pour BOILING HOT soapy water down the bore, and IMMEDIATLY begin scrubing witth an oversized brush, for 30 caliber I find an .38 pistol brush cheap and works well. This will work itself into teh grroves well. be sure to go from breech to muzzles, the oversized brushh will require more effort to push through. if you do it from teh muzzle end, you'll scratch up your crown with the extra effort required, and then your accuracy will suffer. Immeditely afer this, clean the entire rifle again and oil it, that way there is no possibility of rust.

this method is extremely detailed and takes some time and patience, but you'll be rewarded with a squeky clean bore. Yes... I'm nuts too! HTH~

Fool proof and sucker free since 1979!
Old 05-28-2004, 07:43 AM

Not nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirador
I must be a lunatic. Does it take anyone else almost two hours to clean their 1911? My wife thinks I'm crazy; and for once I think she may be right! I can't help it though; I can't have one speck of dirt on my pistol or it will irritate me. I'm not like this with anything else, but my TLE gets an A+ treatment after every range session. Oh well, maybe that's why I've never had any failures with her.
I enjoying cleaning my 1911's. I turn on a talk show radio station, kick back and take my time, maybe and hour and 45 mins. I must have it as clean as the day it was make....am I sick? My guns are cleaner then I am! You talk about a speck of dust? How about a fingerprint? I even wax the wood grips from time to time. It's so clean I could bring it into an operating room if need be. No your not crazy, there are many of "us" out there.

Last edited by k1mri; 05-28-2004 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-28-2004, 09:22 AM

I take 15min or so to clean the frame but I will play with the barrel for another 1/2 hr getting the lead or copper out. I tend to use solvents (Butches, Shooters Choice copper cutter, ect) only and stay away from brushes since the cleaners I use attack copper and work on the brush as well as copper in the barrel.
Lately in my rifles I`ve been useing Wipe Out. It`s a foaming cleaner you spray in the bore and let set, I leave it overnight, and patch out later. I find it takes ~5 minutes total "working" time to totally clean a coppered up barrel. I just haven`t tried it in a 5" barrel to see if I can fill it with out spraying the far wall of the room. It can be messy, but there is nothing easier or that seems to work as well with as little effort!

There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading, and the few
who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric
fence...........Will Rodgers
Old 05-28-2004, 09:26 AM

average cleaning time

It depends. I take them apart about every 300-500 rounds and clean them good - that takes more than an hour, less than 2 hours. Between these take down cleaning sessions, I run a patch or two thru the barrel, clean the gunk off the ramp and I'm done, takes about 5 mins.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:32 AM

I can do a much faster and complete cleaning by totally disassembling the pistol. Nothing to work around that way and there are no hidden nooks that dirt keeps seeping out of.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:39 AM

I usually do a feild strip cleaning job every 200 rounds or so, 30 min, and do a total breakdown cleaning job every 2000 rounds or so, may take over an hour or two
Old 05-28-2004, 02:55 PM

depends...

I have a regular field strip/cleaning that I do with MPro-7 and FP-10 after a few hundred rounds, it takes about 45 minutes, but if I have been shooting cast bullets it will go a bit over an hour. I do a "quick" clean sometimes after short range sessions, takes maybe 15 minutes, using only FP-10. I suspect that a strip to the frame would take a lot longer for me...or at least longer to get back together!
Old 05-28-2004, 03:24 PM

Depends - I would say 15-30 Mins. If they have made a trip to the range. Sometimes I do drag out it out a little longer - just cause

Sometimes I just start pulling them out and wipe them down - just cause.

Old 05-28-2004, 03:41 PM

My Springfield Loaded gets the 30min cleanup after each range session (100 bullets or 10 bullets, doesn't matter), and after every 200-300 rounds, it's detail strip that takes about an hour and a half. It's always sparkling clean, unlike any of my other guns.

Alex.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:24 PM

Depends on whether you mean just "cleaning" or having a love affair with the pistol. Love affair takes a little longer!
Old 05-28-2004, 09:34 PM

Me Thinks

Well according to the poll a 2 hour cleaning is ONLY 1.5 hours above the "average" 1911 cleaning time
Some of you guys are doing a bit more "preening" than cleaning.
But, that's OK & perfectly normal (almost) -
There are things that I really enjoy doing & I tend to "stretch out" those things - cleaning gunky guns is not one of those things for me though.
So...I'm right about 30 to 40 minutes max.
It's whatever floats your boat.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:07 PM

I'll spend hours cleaning my rifles. I check every nook and cranny for crud or rust. As for my pistols, I've spent as much time going over them. For my new 1911, I plan upon taking it completely apart for a thorough scrubbing at 500 rounds.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:57 AM

I take a long time to clean...

But I don't see gun cleaning as a chore. I enjoy taking a 1911 apart, clean, inspect, lubricate, reassemble. Add a good cigar and a cream soda and I'm set for the night.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:05 PM

seems I'm not the only one who enjoys this weapon. Bullcarver, I don't think it's "preening", I think it's the enjoyment of being able to maintain and appreciate a superior design.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:58 PM

30 min max for a good cleaning after about 500 rounds. 100% reliability with my Kimber so far. No reason to over clean, unless you just like to do it.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:44 AM

Depends if the coffee is fresh, or the beer is cold. If cleaning in a group with the friends I shoot with, I can usually drag it out all afternoon. So long as the conversation is worthy. Usually 1/2 hour gets my 1911's ready for storage til range day...
Old 05-31-2004, 05:00 PM

It depends on what kind of cleaning.
1. field strip 10 minutes
2. complete disassemble up to 1 hour
Old 05-31-2004, 11:43 PM

After a real good workout, they come completely apart, and are cleaned, inspected, lubed, then reassembled. This takes a little more than an hour. If the last outing was only a small amount of rounds (<100) I merely do a field-strip.

Later!

--Coop
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM

colt 1991 cleaning time

about 30 min for 100 rounds?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

10 minutes for the anti-fouling solution to work in the barrel and while it is soaking, about 5 minutes for everything else including getting the cleaning kit out and putting it away.

Total 15 minutes.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:40 AM

I detail strip and clean about every 2K rounds.

Takes me about 30 min.

2 hours and up = Gun fondling

If you find the last part of your gun cleaning involves soft music, dim lights, wine or liquor and lube.....you may have an issue.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treelizard View Post
about 30 min for 100 rounds?
Way to resurect a 7 year old post