1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 05-18-2004, 10:28 PM

MA Compliant Springfields!

When will Springfield Arms have their fine line of pistols certified as MA - compliant? Smith & Wesson, Sig Arms, Beretta, Para Ordnance, and now Glock have done it! I heard a quote somewhere (paraphrased here) that it was too difficult and confusing a process. Well somehow, 5 other companies have gotten their semiautos certified ahead of Springfield, so it must be very doable!
Massachusetts NEEDS Springfield Arms!
Old 05-19-2004, 11:39 AM

What does it take to be MA compliant? The included spent casing?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:13 PM

I am not the expert on this, but as far as I know, they would only need a "second serial number" and then to be submitted to an independent firearms lab for testing. MA law requires an additional serial number to be stamped into some hidden portion of the gun, so that if a bad guy tries to file off the visible serial number, it can likely still be traced by law enforcement if involved in a crime. That doesn't seem real tough to me...
Old 05-19-2004, 03:32 PM

Nah, catering to MA's ridiculous restrictions isn't the way. MA just needs to pull it's collective head out of it's collective 4th point of contact.

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of ISOTOPE 7 Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...
Old 05-19-2004, 05:28 PM

Ahhh, a very intelligent, well-reasoned and mature discussion. I have a lot of respect for you, seraph.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:24 PM

I lived in Mass from many years and was SO happy to move to New Hampshire. The first thing I did was to order a TRP Professional which is due NEXT WEEK!

Regarding Mass law, I am not an expert either BUT I know it requires the second serial number as well as a loaded round indicator, very high trigger pull (don't remember how much), and a bunch of testing. I contacted Springfield and asked if they intended to submit their loaded model considering that it had almost everything already. Their reply was to say that the Mass laws are very confusing (100% agree) and they wouldn't submit until it was clear.

Go to fsguns.com for some further explanation as well as a great place to buy guns in Mass.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbineCaleb
Smith & Wesson, Sig Arms, Beretta, Para Ordnance, and now Glock have done it!
Don't get too exited about all of these models either. I know at least GLOCK did indeed make the compliant list, however Mr. Riely has his own list for us. I was told by my dealer that you still con't buy new GLOCKs here. Just because they are on the Mass compliant list does't mean they are Mass approved . There was a small window open to buy them before the AG slamed it shut. (and I heard they tried to get those back )

Gun companies have to supply a certain # of firearms per model for Mass to perform there tests on, and pay to have it done. That doesn't mean they will pass and passing doesn't nessesarily mean will be aproved for sale. Companies don't want to pay substantial amounts of money to pay for their guns to be abused for a maybe. It took me over a year to figure this much out. The laws here are utterly ridiculous!!!