1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 04-27-2004, 01:59 AM

Taurus PT92 any good?

I'm going to add a full size 9mm to my collection and I'm considering the Taurus PT92 stainless model. Part of the reason I'm considering this pistol is the hi cap mag factor; there are plenty around and they are cheap. The only other full size 9mm I considered is the BHP model, but they run kinda high in price IMHO.

Anyone have experiance with Taurus' Beretta clones? Are they Junk or worth the price of $390 which is the cheapest I've seen for their stainless model. The grip felt nice, and for sure it's a sweet looking piece. Sadly, no local ranges have it for rental. I especially liked the SA "cocked and locked feature" which beretta doesnt have. The model I saw had an accessory rail as well, which the picture doesnt show...

Old 04-27-2004, 07:52 AM

I had a blued Taurus PT99, which you may know is the 92 but with adjustable sights. It was a really great pistol, performance-wise. It was accurate (2" groups at 15yds, Weaver stance), and never jammed while I owned it. I sold it (for $350) because I didn't like the double-wide grip, and because I decided I didn't go for the double action(in general), though this gun had one of the best double action pulls I've personally seen (best yet was a Bersa Thunder .380). I intended to replace it with a Hi-Power, but I fell in love with a 1911. Hi-Power will come later. There are two more things which bother me about the Taurus. 1)The frame is aluminum alloy, while I prefer steel. 2)The Taurus cannot use Beretta mags. Overall, I'd say the Taurus PT92/99 is a good pistol, but you should reconsider the Hi-Power. You can find a really nice used one for $450 without too much difficulty. I recommend you peruse fnhipower.com, and read up. You can buy your gun there, too, if you so decide.

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of ISOTOPE 7 Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...
Old 04-27-2004, 08:16 AM

I have a Taurus 92 in blued finish and my dad has a Beretta 92 that we bought at about the same time. Mine has had probably 8-10 times the number of rounds ran through it with no problems. His had the little pin holding the safety fall out after only a couple hundred rounds.

I'd take the Taurus over the Beretta any day. The trigger feels better, it is cheaper, seems just as (if not more) reliable, and has a better safety system.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:48 AM

I bought a PT99AF (satin nickel slide, adjustable sights, alloy frame) around 12 or 13 (give or take) years ago, still have it, and plan to keep it. It is reliable and reasonably accurate. I've never had occasion to use the warranty as I have never had problems with it. The grip is a bit bulky, and the trigger is not anything to write home about (compared to a 1911); however, this platform or this design appears to be a reliable performer. It is a bit easier to field strip than a 1911.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:58 AM

Mine has been excellent. I've owned it since the late 80's.
Eric
Old 04-27-2004, 12:22 PM

Nice pistol, used to have one...chunky, though and bigger than a 9x19mm needs to be.

I got rid of it, but kept my Hi-Power...would I ever get rid of the Hi-Power? Hell no!!

Try the grip of the Hi-Power versus the chunky 92...see what I mean? The trigger can be made MUCH better than the double-actions as well.

If you want an inexpensive double action 9mm, I'd look at a CZ-75, otherwise save your pennies for a Hi-Power...they're soooo much better! I have owned several 9x19mm pistols, from Sigs to Berettas to Glocks to the 92 Taurus and got rid of them all...except the little Belgian beauty.

-Bimmercat (the Hi-Power devotee)
Old 04-27-2004, 06:08 PM

Yeah. They're good guns...

I've had one for 10 years or so. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I'll probably never get rid of it.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:47 PM

The main reason I've settled upon the BHP and PT92 is the cocked and locked feature. Right now I'm leaning toward the taurus, but if I can find a good deal on a BHP I can be swayed. I consider the PT92 an SA pistol with the option for a DA trigger. The ability to carry in either fashion is a big plus...

Are there any other full size hi capacity 9mm pistols are the market that can be carried cocked and locked?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:00 PM

I believe the HK USP (which comes in 9mm as well as others) has a similar style safety, for both cocked and locked carry, and a decocker for DA carry.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight... or if he bothers me... or if there's a woman... or if I'm gettin paid. Mostly only when I'm gettin paid." -Jayne

- Arkalius
Old 04-27-2004, 08:31 PM

Worth every penny IMO. I've always wondered about the bright front sight on the stainless models tho (as opposed to a blue front sight).
I bought my PT99 back in '86, got the Beretta 92 in '93. They're big. They're good.
I'd buy another if need be with zero qualms, even with the lock.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:20 PM

Although you sometimes read on the 'net about poor quality from Taurus, the PT 92 is perhaps their best autoloader. It really is not a second rate Beretta (Beretta licensed the production of the PT 92 by Taurus, after the original contract ran out, the two guns diverged and Beretta made changes to the function and location of the safety; some say for the worse).

My PT 92 shoots wonderfully. Very accurate and reliable. Ciener last winter was selling their .22 conversions for the Taurus for $169. The Ciener is an excellent, very accurate conversion. My PT 92 has the very best SA trigger of any out of the box handgun I have (I have a dozen).

Taurus also offers a lifetime warranty which is transferrable. No other gun maker offers that, and no other gun maker offers as an extensive line of handguns as Taurus.

So if you are looking for a SA/DA autoloading 9mm priced in the $350 to $400 range, you have to love the Taurus. If your hand is small though, the 92 may not be the best choice my hands are medium, but the Taurus shoots well for me.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:56 PM

I love mine

I have a Taurus PT-92C (the compact model; started making them late 1990, stopped around 1996) with the blued finish. It's a very early non-decocker model, as they weren't made for very long before Taurus came out with the decocker safety - around late 1991/early 1992. I got mine in November 03, and I still can't believe I found one! I wanted one ever since I first saw them in a gun rag in late 1990 (I was 18 then - of course I couldn't run out and get one then). Mine shoots like a champ. I only had ONE malfunction with it, and that was recently - the springs were getting weak (factory springs on a 14 year old pistol, with an unknown number of rounds through it - I have recorded 371 rounds so far with me). I recently replaced all of them with Wolff springs, and she's back up to perfection again.

I have no complaints with mine, except the following: As a previous poster stated, it is a bit bigger/thicker than it needs to be for a 9x19mm. Magazines for the compact are hard to come by, especially factory 13 rounders, and when they are found, they're pricey. Also, there are NO aftermarket or factory stocks available for it - you gotta keep what it comes with. If they crack or break, you're screwed. Even with these shortcomings, I still love mine, and I plan to keep it forever. It's currently my CCW pistol, but it'll be replaced in that role by a slightly used two-tone commander next week (gotta pick it up from layaway and reliability test it at the range first, ya know). She'll be my first safe queen then!

I like mine so much that I have decided to collect every variation of the Taurus compact PT-92/100 made! I expect it'll take a while, though... :-)

If you get one, do yourself a favour: get the Wolff trigger spring conversion unit. It'll make replacing the trigger spring MUCH easier, and will help the DA trigger pull a bit. You won't have the shortcomings I do if you get a full size Taurus, as stocks and mags are plentiful for the bigger ones, and a LOT cheaper.

With that said, I also believe that getting a High Power is a good idea, too. I have a .40 S&W on my wish list, in fact. Be aware: while the grip is comfortable for many people, it CAN be difficult to conceal, if you carry. I also notice in Shotgun News that a couple of companies have FM (Argentine-made) High Powers available for MUCH less than a new Browning or FN. They also have "Detective" slide assemblies available, they have slightly shorter slides/barrels, and may work better for you for CCW. Regardless, the "Detective" assy's aren't expensive (about $219 or so), and you may find it fun to have "two guns in one".

Either way you go, you're sure to get a darn good pistol! I've never needed to use my Taurus' warranty (on this pistol), and I hope you won't, either.

Good Luck
Old 04-29-2004, 05:30 AM

My dad has a PT92 in stainless, no decocker, and it works quite well even when absolutely filthy with sharply-crimped handloads.

The frame-mounted safety definitely gets my vote, I hate slide-mounted ones.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary
I'm going to add a full size 9mm to my collection and I'm considering the Taurus PT92 stainless model. Part of the reason I'm considering this pistol is the hi cap mag factor; there are plenty around and they are cheap. The only other full size 9mm I considered is the BHP model, but they run kinda high in price IMHO.

Anyone have experiance with Taurus' Beretta clones? Are they Junk or worth the price of $390 which is the cheapest I've seen for their stainless model. The grip felt nice, and for sure it's a sweet looking piece. Sadly, no local ranges have it for rental. I especially liked the SA "cocked and locked feature" which beretta doesnt have. The model I saw had an accessory rail as well, which the picture doesnt show...

I beleive they're just as good as the Berettas! They're the same pistol anyway.

rimfire,22
Old 04-29-2004, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire,22

rimfire,22
Well, actually they're not. On both counts
Old 04-29-2004, 06:48 PM

PT99 early with no decocker. Absolutely reliable 100% of the time. Blued, paid 299 for it in 90 or so.Beretta mags work fine BTW. But taurus mags do not work in beretta. Does have a large grip frame so not good if small hands. Good accuracy for 9mm which does not have great rep anyways for accuracy.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick604
Well, actually they're not. On both counts
Can you tell me what benefits I would have by going with Beretta over taurus. I'd like to hear the difference from someone with lots of Beretta Experiance. Though agree they are not the same pistol. Very Similar though
Old 04-29-2004, 07:26 PM

The only advantage I can think of going Beretta is getting the Crimson Trace laser grip. The frame safety on the Taurus has to be removed on the right side for the Crimson Trace to fit.

One of the gun magazines did a head to head test of the Taurus and Beretta 92 and could not rate one as better or worse than the other so it comes down to whether you want the NATO/DOD choice or the less expensive Taurus.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:58 PM

The Brazilian Army adopted the Beretta 92 and Beretta built a plant in Brazil to fill the contract (like we did when we adopted the M9). After the contract was completed, Beretta sold the plant and machinery which was gathering dust to Taurus. The early Berettas had a frame mounted safety and mag release low on the grip. So, yes Taurus 92/99s are Berettas with current modifications. Wether or not Taurus still uses the orignal machinery you'll have to ask Taurus.

Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08 & 09'
Afghanistan: 09,10 & 11'
Old 04-29-2004, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire,22

rimfire,22

Taurus is better as far as reliablilty, very sturdy, and overall good value. The Taurus is based on the earlier Beretta with the frame mounted safety. Similar maybe but still far from being the same.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary
Are there any other full size hi capacity 9mm pistols are the market that can be carried cocked and locked?
CZ-75, if I'm not mistook.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:48 AM

The EAA (copy of the CZ) can be carried cocked and locked also.
Plus, the hi caps are cheap and plentiful.
EAA's are not quite up to the CZ fit & finish standard, but theyre perfectly serviceable and will save you $100- $150 off the CZ price.
JM.02
Eric