1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 04-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Banned

Best 1911 for concealed carry?

Hi all,

O.K. heres the deal I am looking for pistol. I have narrowed it down to a 1911 but can't decide wich brand to go with or wich model. I have owned a Kimber custom and a very customized springfeild officers model in the past, I liked them both. Now I find myself wanting another 1911 and there are just to many to choose from. I want the weapon primarily for home defense and concealed carry but do plan on shooting some IDPA matches with it. So I am basically looking for the best 1911 for these purposes. Reliability and function being most important to me finish being least. I do want to stay with a full sized model though, no compacts or officer model sizes, I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs and have noproblems concealing a fullsize handgun. What are your recomendations? My budget is in the ballpark of $900 give or take. All advice would be helpfully.

Last edited by EX CATM; 04-18-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:36 PM

Springfield Loaded gov't model, Sig GSR, Kimber, or DW.

None of these will let you down.

Later, TI
Glock 32 .357 Sig 8800rds, DW PMA-S .45ACP 3700rds, S&W 686 .357Mag 4250rds, SVI Custom "Race" .38Super 200rds, Walther P22 .22LR 2700rds, S&W 1006 10mm 4150rds, Ruger Blackhawk .41Rem Mag 620rds ,Kel-Tec P-3AT "Custom" .380 150rds Glock 37 .45GAP 350rds FN 5-7 IOM 5.7x28mm 0rds
Swarovksi Optics---> [email protected]
Old 04-18-2004, 04:37 PM

Kimber TLE or Stainless TLE depending on your color preference. Both have all you need in a fighting handgun.
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:45 PM

This is so wide open. I'd narrow it down by selecting the features that I want. For a carry 1911 I like:
  • Night sights
  • Aluminum frame
  • No mag well funnel
  • Checkered front strap
  • Beavertail grip safety
  • Ambi thumb safety

That's not to say that these are the features that you would want. However once you have put a list like this together then you can go about finding models that fit what you desire.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Banned

DPS, I was lookin at the sig on there web sight but haven't seen any reviews of it know of any?

Brass, There really are no musts as far as parts I can put on after market and I have no preference as far as frame material. What I want is an accurate, reliable out of the box full sized 1911. I'd prefer night sights a beaver tail grip safety and a checkered front strap.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Balls
For a carry 1911 I like:
  • Night sights
  • Aluminum frame
  • No mag well funnel
  • Checkered front strap
  • Beavertail grip safety
  • Ambi thumb safety
That's a Springfield Loaded model, except for the aluminum frame and the checkered front strap.

But then, you don't want the aluminum, anyway.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX CATM
Brass, There really are no musts as far as parts I can put on after market and I have no preference as far as frame material. What I want is an accurate, reliable out of the box full sized 1911. I'd prefer night sights a beaver tail grip safety and a checkered front strap.

The Custom CDP II has all of options I listed above and retails for $889. I really like aluminum frames for carry because of the light weight. My Custom CDP is very reliable, quite accurate and has a sweet trigger and while it could certainly be used for competition I would prefer a steel frame for that.

I also think one of the best values in a carry/defense 1911 today is Kimber's TLE II which has a steel frame. It comes standard with night sights and a checkered front strap.

clic pics

Old 04-20-2004, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six
That's a Springfield Loaded model, except for the aluminum frame and the checkered front strap.

But then, you don't want the aluminum, anyway.
There you have it then. S&W 1911SC
The alloy frame is as light as aluminum and stronger than steel.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:10 PM

Kimber TLEII
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now." —Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC
Old 04-20-2004, 06:46 PM

Here is another vote for the SW1911 SC model. I plan on buying one as soon as it is available (May) Also, the stainless steel original model should not be ruled out. Mine has been extreamly reliable so far. In the mean time my everyday ccw is a Colt CCO. (it's not full size though.)
Old 04-29-2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strick909
Here is another vote for the SW1911 SC model. I plan on buying one as soon as it is available (May) Also, the stainless steel original model should not be ruled out. Mine has been extreamly reliable so far. In the mean time my everyday ccw is a Colt CCO. (it's not full size though.)
Who makes that holster ?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:11 PM

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry HD II in the 4" commander size. It's all stainless, but only because I prefer a heavier gun. I've got friends who have the aluminum frame and they are great guns and stand up to a lot of shooting. I put Meprolight night sights on it and also had a trigger job done to it. This is also the gun that I shoot IDPA with and it works great for both.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:56 PM

Holster looks like a Milt Sparks VM2.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:30 PM

Welcome to the forum. I carry my relentless tackdriver, a full size Springfield Armory Mil Spec M1911A1, with magwell. It rides unseen and perfectly comfortable in a Galco shoulder rig, all day long. I'd rather it had night sights, and a Novak tritium ghost ring and dovetailed front blade will be installed just as soon as I procure a BUG. BTW, I only paid $489 for the little beauty.

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of ISOTOPE 7 Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...
Old 04-30-2004, 11:09 AM

I would go with a Springfield loaded or save a little money and buy a Springfield mil-spec. Then you can use the extra money you saved for ammo. I personally own a Mil-spec and it is a reliable tack driver (literally). I have done a few modifications to the pistol like: polish feed ramp, trigger job, and a beavertail safety. I also applied glow in the dark paint to the stock military sights. I really didn't like the sight picture of tridium sights in the day time, so I used glow in the dark paint and retained my bright white three dot sight pattern in the day and with a blast from my flash light I have bright glow in the dark sights at night. Note the glow in the dark paint only glows for about three hours, then it needs recharged with a flashlight again.

Good luck in your search for your perfect defense weapon!

Old 05-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Banned

Well I went with the springfield loaded. I was really leaning towards a Wilson KZ-45 but there was a used loaded at the gun show today and I got a good deal trading in my Glock 17. The big turn off with the Glock was caliber. I love my Kel-tec sub 2000 in 9mm, but coming out of a 16" barrel the balistics are more like thoose of a .357. That and if I miss it I can always pick up another used 17. I realy am happy with the Loaded, though I have yet to shoot it. I'm considfering a DeSantis Speed scabard for Concealed Carry and IDPA any opinions?
Old 05-02-2004, 12:53 PM

Best Concealed 1911

What's best for some may not be best for all. It's like "every rat to his own hunk of cheese," or "different strokes for different folks". I have several CCW's from different states, and have been carrying concealed for years. To me, the grip handle length is most important. I find a full sized 1911 grip allows for significant printing. Whereas, the Officer's Model length grip (6 rd mag) is more easily concealed. I carry a Wilson SDS Stealth, which has a commander length barrel but an Officer's length grip in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster. A speed chute or extended magazine will add to printing possibilities, so I like my mags to be flush fitting. I have night sights, and they're nice, but feel they're not necessary. If a real self defense situation should arise, (which my instructors say will most likely be within 21'), all you'll be able to do is pee your pants and point your gun. Also, I would recommend a tactical safety and not the ambi safety. I prefer the protection of having the safety between the gun and the holster. A couple of times over the years while carrying a gun with an ambi safety, I've brushed up against something causing it to become disengaged...that is scary! Just my 2 cents worth...hope it helps.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:46 PM

I carry a TLE II, but i'm really thinking about an Alloy framed fullsize next time (CDP?). The reduction in weight would be nice.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChicken
I carry a TLE II, but i'm really thinking about an Alloy framed fullsize next time (CDP?). The reduction in weight would be nice.
That sure sounds familiar. My first 1911 was a Baer TRS. It's a great gun, has everything I'd want for a carry gun, but it gets heavy as the day wears on. The TRS is a keeper, however I picked up a Custom CDP for carry and been VERY pleased with it. It is really accurate, has a nice trigger and I appreciate the lighter weight.

Actually the TLE will work great as a practice gun if you don't want to pile the rounds through the CDP since they have the same night sights and similar feel.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:10 PM

That was my thought. The TLE II would be the main shooter, for instance at training where I might shoot 400-1000 rounds the TLE would do the heavy lifting, and the CDP would be teh backup in the event the TLE had a problem.
I'd carry the CDP and shoot it enough to stay in good practice with it.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:18 AM

Just my 2 cents, I like the ambi safety because while I am carrying I can check to see if it is on with one touch. I understand it is also out there and could be turned off by accident as well but I am just one of those who likes reinforcement that the safety is indeed on.
Best to carry? Well like everyone says to each his own, but mine is a Les Baer Stinger in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChicken
That was my thought. The TLE II would be the main shooter, for instance at training where I might shoot 400-1000 rounds the TLE would do the heavy lifting, and the CDP would be teh backup in the event the TLE had a problem.
I'd carry the CDP and shoot it enough to stay in good practice with it.
I shoot the weapon I carry, and I carry the weapon I shoot.

I've never understood why someone would carry a weapon they don't shoot every time they shoot.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six
I've never understood why someone would carry a weapon they don't shoot every time they shoot.
I don't wish to be argumentative, but I'll try to explain my line of thinking on this. First I want to carry an aluminum framed 1911 which is a factor although even if I carried an all steel 1911 I'd still do a lot of practice with other guns. I typically shoot upwards of 20k rounds per year. I don't want to put this many rounds through an aluminum framed pistol or one that I rely on for daily carry. Shooting other pistols keeps my carry guns fresh and less likely to suffer fatigue related failures.

The important thing for me is to practice with a pistol that is very close in performance to my carry gun. An important part of my regular practice is drawing from the holster and getting on target quickly at different distances. I think I can do that just as effectively with a gun other than my carry gun. I agree that it wouldn't be wise to practice with a DAO revolver then carry a 1911. That's why I like the TLE because it has the same sights and feels very similar to my CDPs. Of course I still shoot my carry gun and when I do it's primarily with my carry ammo.

An additional factor is that I have the gun bug and I just like to shoot other pistols. While I take my defense practice seriously, shooting is more than that to me. It is an enjoyable pastime that encompasses appreciating different firearms. I also enjoy hunting and therefore take regular rifle and big bore revolver practice as well.

Because I shoot different pistols my follow up shots are based upon seeing the sights drop back on target before pressing the trigger rather than an ingrained sense of timing for one particular gun. That's why I don't notice a significant difference between shooting my aluminum framed 1911s and my all steel models.

I'd never be so presumptuous as to believe that what's best for me is best for anybody else. Perhaps though this can help you to understand why someone else would carry a gun that they don't shoot everytime they go to the range.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:06 PM

In addition to what BB said, you never know when your gun may break. There's an area where fully broken in reliability and the breaking point start to meet.
I think my TLE will take 15000 rounds and still be reliable, but when it comes down to it I'd rather have a gun with a maybe a few thousand rounds through it for the gravest extreme.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:21 PM

Any 1911 with a 5" barrel that goes bang every time, and is as it came from the factory. I'd never want the liability of having to use a firearm that was <lawyer speak> "modified" in any way to make it more "lethal"</lawyer speak> . Always think of the civil suit to follow, so dont leave 2 sides to the story.