1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 04-16-2004, 10:47 AM

Adjusting Trigger Take-up

Is there an effective way to adjust the length of trigger take-up, or do you have to install a trigger with a slightly longer stirrup?

What is an acceptable amount of take-up on a 1911 trigger? Take-up being the extremely light movement of the trigger before it begins to release the sear.

Lastly, has anyone ever drilled and tapped the frame right in the scallop to install a set screw to adjust take-up?
Old 04-16-2004, 11:30 AM

Pretravel tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierBreath
Is there an effective way to adjust the length of trigger take-up, or do you have to install a trigger with a slightly longer stirrup?

What is an acceptable amount of take-up on a 1911 trigger? Take-up being the extremely light movement of the trigger before it begins to release the sear.

Lastly, has anyone ever drilled and tapped the frame right in the scallop to install a set screw to adjust take-up?
Aftermarket triggers are available with pretravel tabs to adjust the "take up" and the existing trigger bow can be slotted to make this adjustment...However, you should research how to do this adjustment so that the sear reset is correct and the hammer won't drop from halfcock when the trigger is pulled.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:42 AM

IMO, take up has never bothered me. I prefer minimal overtravel to minimal take up. I have stumbled in USPSA matches and zero or near zero take up would have lead to a bad scene. (plus I avoid "hair trigger" accusations).
Old 04-16-2004, 11:47 AM

A bunch of good people on this sight can work on their pistols. Since I don't know a whole lot about this myself, I personally would go to a good gunsmith to have it done.

"Never shall I fail my comrades."
Old 04-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Banned

I've messed with triggers with "take up tabs" Usually dry firing in the house I can really notice how crisp it is. But at the range with live rounds I have a tendency to cook off rounds a little early without a little bit of take up. Live fire seems to change any trigger improvement I've ever made. Smooth as silk breaks like a glass rod dry firing, But at the range with live rounds the trigger is way better than I am capable of keeping up with. Maybe I'm getting old and slow but that's what I noticed even when I was younger and faster.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierBreath

As bjg said, you can cut a little 'slice' in the trigger yoke's shoulder and bend the tip forward to stop it's forward seated position. How much takeup you leave is up to you. It takes a few thou to ensure the disconnector will fuction, so don't try to remove all of it. And be aware that moving the seated position of the trigger rearward will likely have an effect on the grip safety. You may have to shorten and adjust the angle on the 'lever' that extends forward from the safety so that it'll clear the trigger stirrup yet cannot be pulled when the grip safety is not engaged.

About installing a takeup adjusting screw in the frame...yes, that's one way to do it and I've done it many times, but not lately. It's much easier to use one of several methods of adjusting with alterations to the trigger bow itself...or just use one of the current production triggers with a built-in adjuster tab.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Brown; 04-16-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911vs911
Maybe I'm getting old and slow but that's what I noticed even when I was younger and faster.
*chanting " Old and slow....Old and slow...old and slow"...LMAO