1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 03-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Banned

TRP and Guide Rod

Hello,

New member here. I own a Loaded Springfield 1911 and a Kimber Stainless TLE II and looking at the TRP. I have one question. Is the guide rod on the TRP 2 piece or one piece?

I locked the slide back and it looked like a single piece but if it is single then how come it has a HEX screw head on the front of the guide rod?? How does that work? Is the hex screw hole just for looks or what? I'd love to put one of those on my other 1911s where can I purchase one? I went to the Springfield web site but found nothing like that.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2004, 11:06 AM

That would be a 2 Piece rod...Most here don't like them including me, do a search for 2 piece guide rods here, or just check some recent post, to find what we think about them here......Oh yeah, Welcome to the board!
Regards SonnyD
Old 03-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyD
That would be a 2 Piece rod...Most here don't like them including me, do a search for 2 piece guide rods here, or just check some recent post, to find what we think about them here......Oh yeah, Welcome to the board!
Regards SonnyD
Thanks man.

See, the 2 guys at the store said it was a one piece. One of them claimed to own one and also confirmed that it was a one piece. That left me wondering why it would have a hex head and for what purpose if it was a one piece guide rod.

I know what a 2 piece guide rod is and why. I know alot prefer a 1 piece (myself included in fact I prefer SHORT guide rods like a 1911 was designed with..I don't go for all the new gimmicks and the cute stuff that tries to change a hundred year old design.) but it was just killing me why a 1 piece rod would have a hex head. I guess the people at the store showed how much they know about what they sell.

By the way what do you all think about the TRP not the TRP Pro or the one with the light rail. Just the plain TRP. I own a Stainless TLE II which is a couple hundred cheaper than the TRP but from what I hear my TLE II is better overall. I love it too it's just as acurate as my friends Wilson and in fact he shoots better with mine. It's reliable just like a pistol SHOULD be and eats anything I put in it.

I wanted to know from fair S.A. and Kimber owners who own both or have experience with both. I don't care about childish remarks like.."mIn3 sH0otS beTtER tHAn y0Urs sUch anD sUCh braND Sux". I got a few decent replies at Kimber forum and now I want to hear some opinions here but please only from those that have experienced both pistols.

I own a Loaded SA and after break in it has been great. I had a smith work on it last year and it's great now but that's all I know about S.A. There's a big difference in price between the TLE II and the TRP but I'm interested in a TRP.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:29 PM

Hi 88Magnum.....I'm with you on the standard guide, I've switched out all of my full lengths that I could. I have 1 Kimber that I can't unless I change the barrel bushing because the cutout on the bushing is smaller the the diameter of the plug!!
I have both Kimbers and SA's, I don't have a TLE but I just bought a Tactical Custom for a mate with my Heritage Custom, I also own several SA's with my newest one being a Stainless Loaded. I like the TRP alot, If my favorite shop would have had one the day I bought the Tactical Custom I would have bought the TRP instead. I've never even gotten to handle one till this past weekend. The trigger had a bit of creep and wasn't quite as good as my Tactical but it was close and there is just something about the TRP, don't even get me started on the Professional, I would trade 2 for one to get one of those. I get really good prices at my local shop and the TRP would have only cost me about 250 more then what I paid for the Kimber during their "Kimber days" sale, but Like I said they didn't have one. Nobody there really cares much for Springfields even though they sell them so they just stock the fast sellers and the XD's. I don't see much difference between the Kimbers and the newer SA's and I like having a standard 1911 with the firing pin safety. Honestly I don't think you could go wrong with either one and as much as I'm a fan of Kimber's, I personally pay the 250 difference and buy the TRP, it's one heck of a gun.
Regards SonnyD
Old 03-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyD
Hi 88Magnum.....I'm with you on the standard guide, I've switched out all of my full lengths that I could. I have 1 Kimber that I can't unless I change the barrel bushing because the cutout on the bushing is smaller the the diameter of the plug!!
I have both Kimbers and SA's, I don't have a TLE but I just bought a Tactical Custom for a mate with my Heritage Custom, I also own several SA's with my newest one being a Stainless Loaded. I like the TRP alot, If my favorite shop would have had one the day I bought the Tactical Custom I would have bought the TRP instead. I've never even gotten to handle one till this past weekend. The trigger had a bit of creep and wasn't quite as good as my Tactical but it was close and there is just something about the TRP, don't even get me started on the Professional, I would trade 2 for one to get one of those. I get really good prices at my local shop and the TRP would have only cost me about 250 more then what I paid for the Kimber during their "Kimber days" sale, but Like I said they didn't have one. Nobody there really cares much for Springfields even though they sell them so they just stock the fast sellers and the XD's. I don't see much difference between the Kimbers and the newer SA's and I like having a standard 1911 with the firing pin safety. Honestly I don't think you could go wrong with either one and as much as I'm a fan of Kimber's, I personally pay the 250 difference and buy the TRP, it's one heck of a gun.
Regards SonnyD
Thanks. I just like the short guide rod because it's how the gun was intended but I have FLGRs too. I know it's one of those "apples and oranges" type arguments. They both work.

I love my Kimber TLE II..and so does everyone else. All my friends have to shoot it and now all 3 of them that "used" to think Kimber was so-so, now want a Kimber. I'm the guinea pig of guns around my friends. It started with the Glock 21. They all laughed and said "no don't get a Glock". I told them to go screw themselves I don't go for rumor or hype and I had to try a Glock. Now, the Glock 21 is the piece I keep next to the bed and now all my friends have Glocks.

I want a TRP. When I walk in the store and look at it, it just calls me. I'm dying to shoot the thing just to see how it compares to the TLE II and because I want it. The cheapest I've seen it here in Vegas is $1200.