1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 03-09-2004, 08:46 AM

what is 38 super advantage?

I am very new at this so, educate me.

I am considering building a custom gun for IPSC. I already own a custon single stack .40 but was considering a doublestack for the new build up. My smith already has a couple of 38 supers ready to go. I noticed all the "big dogs" shoot 38 super.

So what are the advantages/dosadvantages for IPSC .40 vs 38?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 03-09-2004, 09:20 AM

In Limited class the 38 Super is a disadvantage because it can only be scored minor. In Open it rules along with 9 x 23, 38 Supercomp etc. Small bullets pushed by a lot of powder makes a lot of gas to work the comp. The other advantage is mag capacity. You can get 28 rounds in a 170 mm mag.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:36 AM

The biggest advantage to the 38 super is the mag capacity. In my 40 open gun I can only get 21 rounds, however on 99% of the stages I do not feel that puts me at a disavantage. I've heard some say the 40 will not make a comp work as well, I do not believe this to be true. View the video on my web site of me shooting pins in South Connellsville PA with the All Sport Forty, watch the gun instead of the pins and you will see how flat the gun stays in my hands.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 03-10-2004, 05:39 PM

If you're going to shoot in USPSA open class you should go with the 38 super. There is a good reason all the big dogs use one form or another of the super, it has the advantage. Mag capacity is one thing and also the smaller caliber will have less torque on the gun for any given power level. Lighter bullets can be use which also helps muzzle jump and requires more powder which makes the compensator work more. Not only all that but it's much cheaper to shoot a 38 super than a 40 or 45, bullets are nearly half price and it's easy to find a good deal on 9mm bullets. I was shooting when the super first hit the scene and was hard to convince it would be better than the 45 comp gun I was shooting but after trying them both it was an easy choice.

In Limited or Limited 10 the choice is not quite as clear but the 40 rules limited and the 45 does pretty good in L10. Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:03 PM

If the 40 had been around when the 38 super became popular I'm sure we would be seeing a lot more 40 open guns and I believe there's been some top ranked shooters thats done quite well with a 40 open gun.
The difference between a 45 open gun and 38super open gun as for torgue, I agree is quite a difference. However the difference between a 40 open gun and 38 super open gun is very little, again watch the 40 gun in the video.
As for the cost of the bullets, yes I believe one can buy premium 115gr or 124gr 9mm bullets a little cheaper than premium 135 gr 40 bullets, however when one figures in the cost of the other components, especially the high price of the 38 super brass I believe the loads will cost about the same.
I do believe the 40 cases will have a longer life, however I'm sure the 165 power factor has helped the 38super some. One might want to think about the 9x19 major if you are really trying to save money on loads, 9x19 brass is very cheap. As I stated earlier every now and then you will come across a stage where the 38 super will have the advantage because of mag capacity, more than once I've seen a big stick jam a gun so the mag capacity was a disadvantage.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 03-11-2004, 05:23 PM

Sounds like you like the 40 and thats cool, but it just doesn't have an advantage over the 38 super in open. It took awhile for the 40 to take over Limited and plenty of people looked at them for open and discarded the idea. If there was any advantage out there the big dogs would be all using them. As far as big sticks go, yes you have to do your mag maintance but that's true with any competition high cap. I believe we should shoot what we like, just make an informed decision.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:50 PM

Here is a video clip showing the advantage of capacity:

http://www.hosercam.com/video/rightturn.mpg

Josh