1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 03-08-2004, 11:12 PM

Need help, I am MISSING!

Ok, The first step is admit you have a problem right? Let me start off by saying that I do not shoot compitition. Mostly I shoot defensive tactics. IDPA style stuff I guess. Anyway, I have been shooting off and on for 15 years and I am former LEO. So, in theory, I know how to shoot. However, I was missing right all day today. This is the first time I have had this problem. Here is the practice stage I had set up. 10 yards out I have a standard IDPA target on a stand. Right next to it, I have a steel plate that is IDPA target shaped, but about 1/4 size. On the buzzer, I would draw, double tap the big target and then single on the small one. My average time is 1.7 sec to draw and fire, .18 sec for the double tap, and .65 sec to transition and fire at the plate. I don't know how fast you compitition guys do it, but that is as fast as I can do it and hit both targets with all three rounds. However, today I was shooting everything to the right (and missing!). My average results today was miss, hit, miss. When I slowed way down (3 sec draw aim and fire, .3 double tap and 1+ sec transition) I hit everything. Is there anything that is a common mistake I should be looking for? And FWIW, I use a modified weaver stance with a 1911 gov model. Thanks for any advice I can get.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:38 PM

Gee, from the thread title I am glad you found you. Hehehehe...oh well, I tried.

Seriously though, you had some pretty good times in transition and on the double tap. It sounds like you are trying to "run" too fast and either framing the shot and jumping on the trigger or looking at the target while letting the shot go. You were correct, IMHO, to slow down and reassess your shooting ability without shooting fast.

I would concentrate just on making good shots as fast as you can do them. Watch as you shoot what the gun is doing and use that as feedback. Trying to go faster than what is needed for a good shot will just degrade your technique. Also, ball and dummy drills will uncover culprit behaviors also.

And there are days when it was the wrong phase of the moon, coffee was bad...

Last edited by Magnumite; 03-08-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:33 AM

Just to get something straight, are you saying you've done this before and suddenly you're missing targets? if so, I'd seriously check if your sights aren't loose or are still there even.

On the other hand, a 1.7+ draw, .18 splits and .65 transistions on a 10 yard target is more than decent (assuming you hit your intended target).

Ditto what Magnumite had said. Slow down a bit and make sure you're not blinking and flinching. Blinking kills your ability to know where the shot went based on how your sights looked like when the shot fired. Flinching wreaks havoc on your accuracy. Try searching the net for drills that'll isolate specific problem areas you think you're having.

You can start by clicking HERE.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:05 AM

Those are very fast times......slow down, and make sure you don't have too much finger on the trigger.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:41 PM

Thanks guys. I have shot a lot of tactical carbine this last month. I am going to try to get to the range again soon, but I think I may have been using too much finger on the trigger. When I shoot carbines, the trigger pull is twice what it is on my 1911 and I use more finger. Thanks Chuckie.
cra995, my sights are good. The problem is me for sure. Thanks for the link. There is some good reading there.
I am going to practice my index with dry fire all week and try to correct the problem next week.
Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:17 PM

Are you left handed? If so missing to the right would probably mean that you were jerking the trigger a little. If you are right handed and shooting to the right you may be steering the gun with your left hand. Calling your shots will fix whatever your problem is.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:40 PM

your finger is on the wrong spot on the trigger and yes slow down a little....from the pattern (right, hit, right, ) I'd say you are also riding the recoil too hard, probably pushing with the right hand using too much pressure from the right shoulder area, try using less right hand grip pressure. This would be the pressure your applying with the beefy part of your lower thumb near the wrist. Really no matter how fast you go there is technically no reason the gun should shoot left or right of target, too high maybe but not right or left but your pressure on the gun has to be even for it to "recoil bounce" properly
Old 03-18-2004, 11:53 PM

Thanks guys. Problem fixed. I was using too much of my finger on the trigger and was pulling the pistol to the right when I fired. My normal problems are still there but this new one is gone for now. When I was out at the range I felt like a golfer trying to fix his swing!