1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 02-15-2004, 01:05 PM

7.62x39 vs. 7.62x39R

Would some kind soul out there please end my confusion? I did a search on this forum and didn't find out anything clear.

What is the difference between the 7.62x39 and the 7.62x39R?

Say for instance I bought a Mini - 30, an SKS, and an AK47. Would they all fire the same ammo? Which would it be?

I have read so many conflicting articles I don't know who to believe. One guy tried to tell me the R stood for rimmed. I think this is baloney because I have seen pictures of both cartridges and they are both rimmed.

I am assuming that the R stands for Russian and would be interchangeable with 7.62x39 Soviet, as some ammo is marked.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Banned

grislyatoms,

"What is the difference between the 7.62x39 and the 7.62x39R?"

There is no difference, it's only someone's confused nomenclature in posting. The 7.63 X 39 MM is correct. The other Russian round, the 7.62 X 54 is often designated as 7.62 X 54R or 7.62 X 53R. It is a rimmed cartirdge, as opposed to a rebated rim, which is what the 7.62 X 39 is.

"Say for instance I bought a Mini - 30, an SKS, and an AK47. Would they all fire the same ammo?"

Yes, they would

"Which would it be?

7.63 X 39 MM (for millimeters)

"I have read so many conflicting articles I don't know who to believe. One guy tried to tell me the R stood for rimmed. I think this is baloney because I have seen pictures of both cartridges and they are both rimmed."

The 7.62 X 54 R is a rimmed cartridge. The 7.62 X 39 MM is a rebated rim, the same as a .223 or .308 and is made for smooth operation in automatic or semi-automatic operation.

"I am assuming that the R stands for Russian and would be interchangeable with 7.62x39 Soviet, as some ammo is marked."

I don't know where you're finding the R labelled at, but it is often mentioned in relationship to rimmed cartridges (which the 7.62 X 54 is) or in relationship to Russian cartridges (which the 7.62 X 39 MM is).

In all cases, the 7.62 X 39 cartridge, regardless of any other additional labelling, will function in all three of the weapons you mentioned. However, were I to spend the money on one of the three, I would recommend the SKS or AK47 over the Mini 30.

I hope this clears this up for you.

Dave in Oakwood, GA
Aces & Eights Custom Guns
Old 02-15-2004, 04:04 PM

Thanks, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response. I have been digging around for the better part of the afternoon trying to clear this up. I looked on Winchester's site to do a price comparison of 7.62x39 ammo against other calibers I am interested in, they have two listings:

7.62x39 (at $10.00 a box) and 7.62x39 Russian (at $16.45 a box). I then started looking around to see which was which and ended up with numerous conflicting stories.

Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Banned

If I were you, I'd buy this stuff:

Silver Bear or Barnaul Arsenal 7.62 X 39 MM

It's inexpensive and fairly accurate. Is available from most ammo suppliers. These guns aren't accurate enough to make it worth while to develop a load for in most cases.

Here's a couple of websites to order from:

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com
http://www.dansammo.com/
http://www.aimsurplus.com/
http://www.ammoman.com/

Hope this helps,

Dave in Oakwood, GA
Old 02-16-2004, 09:43 PM

I'd recommend Wolf, since it's sold in quite a few places now. For a 20-round box of 7.62x39, you're looking at about $2.00-2.25 a box. I usually buy 1000-round cases of it at gun shows for about $85. Don't pay more than $3 for 20 rounds of it (unless you want brass-cased domestic manufacture, in which case you're going to pay about $9 for 20 rounds.)

The only thing you'll really find chambered for the 7.62x54R anymore are Mosin-Nagants, which are great rifles but kick like a mule.

I'd also recommend the SKS or AK (I have a SAR-1 Romanian AK) over the Mini-30. Mini-30 mags are expensive and so is the gun, and doesn't offer anything the SKS or AK don't already have or do.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:53 PM

I own both calibers of Russian rifles. 7.62X39 and 7.62X54R. The first time I shot my M44 I was expecting a blast like a 30-06, but for some reason, it didnt kick too bad at all. After 20 rounds it still felt like almost a AK. I ran out of ammo before I had to quit. On the other side, when I shot my 1903, that had a KICK! I had to stop after 20 because it just wasnt fun anymore. I had always thought the ballistics of the 30-06 and the 54R were around the same, but now I am not too sure.

P.S. When I turned 18, I was SO close to buying a Mini-30 (7.62X39) and I would of bought it, but my $$ was in a saving account and it was a holiday and I couldnt get the money out, it was a private sale and he wanted $500 for it. It was a preban, stainless, folder, the works. When I called him up the next day, it was already sold. The next week, I purchased a MADDI ARM with five Chinese mags for the total of $230. I still have the ARM and I am so glad I never got caught up with that mini 30. I think I made the better choice.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:14 AM

I would suggest a Norinco MAK90 if you can find one.

SKS's once again Norinco if you can find one, not sure why but the QC seems much better in China, I would guess its becouse none of the workers want to be "reeducated".

-Richard.