1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 06-15-2001, 01:32 AM

Premier II Super-Tac review

About two months ago, I purchased a Les Baer Premier II Super-Tac from Allan Yoast. Before I comment on the pistol, I'd just like to say that Allan is -- without a doubt -- one of the finest people I've ever dealt with in any kind of business transaction. If you're looking to purchase a Baer, do not hesitate to contact him. From my experience, he's a first-class individual.

Okay, here we go:

Firstly, the pistol is a beauty. The fit and finish were immaculate. The pistol also possessed a "rock solid" feel; the trigger, grip, and slide safety had no play in them whatsoever -- an elegant tank. The Baer Coated barrel gives the pistol an aggressive "Berretta-ized" look. Anyway, I took it to the range and put 250 rounds of American Eagle and Sellier & Bellot FMJ ammo through the gun. No malfunctions of ANY type whatsoever. However, the slide-to-frame fit was so tight that I couldn't engage the slide safety. The tightness was preventing the slide from returning fully into battery (it had one or two millimeters to go). I ran my fingers over the slide/frame at the rear of the gun by the hammer and I could feel that the slide and frame weren't quite flush. So I wound up pressing forward against the slide until it was in battery before I fired. After about 150 rounds, the fit began to loosen, the slide would return fully into battery and I could engage the slide safety. The trigger pull was excellent and didn't have too much overtravel (which is how I prefer it). The accuracy was wonderful. In fact, the Baer became more accurate as I fired it. It shot a little low and to the left, but by 200 rounds was shooting almost to the point of aim. By the last fifty rounds the Super-Tac produced a ragged hole in that nice little black ring. The groups were very tight (no formal measurements taken). I can only imagine what a tack driver she'll be when I have a thousand rounds through her.

I do have one minor complaint about the Baer: the grips. The checkering feels too sharp (for me) and I don't like the way the grip edges are cut off so abruptly. I prefer the way the grip edges taper to the frame on Wilson's pistols. Of course, that's easy enough to change.

Anyway, it's a truly outstanding pistol, and I can't wait to add other Baers to my stable.

As a final note, there was a nice write-up on the Baer Premier II Super-Tac in this month's Shooting Times. The issue features .45's (1911s and otherwise), and devoted several pages to all the 1911 manufacturers out there. A paragraph or two was devoted to the Baers in which the Premier II Super-Tac was specifically mentioned (as one of the writer's favorites in the Baer line).

Ivanhoe
Old 06-15-2001, 03:43 PM

Ivanhoe, thanks for such a nice report. I guess it's very typical for the Baer pistols that always work out of the box, including mine. I agree with you on the grip panels. Baer should at least provide a more user friendly grips with the guns. After all, not everybody wants to have the mag funnel installed.

Later on, would you let us know how the Baer coat holds up, especially at the contact points like grip safety, MSH, front of slide? I heard that it would peel eventually but never heard that it actually did. I try to decide which black finish I should go with when my gun is ready for refinishing. Thks.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:57 PM

Ivanhoe, yours is a standard Baer--very tight to return fully to battery until several hundred rounds have been fired. That is due to the tight fit on the barrel feet to the slide stop pin, and though some don't care for a gun to come that tight, as long as it's not causing undue stress on the gun that's actually a good thing.

I agree with the comment on the abrupt angle of the grip edges--they definitely don't belong on a gun of this price. However, if you have a smoothing file (one with cuts in one direction only) and a little patience, you can break the hard edge to get a better feel, they still look nice, and the grips don't have to be refinished. You can actually form an entirely new edge if you want, with the loss of a little checkering, but the result still looks good.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:37 PM

Ivanhoe- i have a premier 11 w/1.5" gur. the grips are to sharp. i ordered the diamond grips w/hex screws. looks nicer to me and was surprised that the grips are smooth, and very nice looking.
Old 06-15-2001, 10:45 PM

Wit, thanks for being patient. I've been so busy I just didn't have the time for the Baer -- a tragedy! I'll be sure to let you know how the Baer Coat holds up to further use. I do know this -- it's a softer finish than Wilson's Armor-Tuff (I have a Two-Tone Protector as well). That's not to imply that it's not as strong -- only to point out that they wear differently. As a harder coating, Wilson's Armor-Tuff tends to chip or flake, whereas the Baer Coat seems to wear in a more traditional fashion (i.e., slowly rubbing off at contact points). Now, I can only notice a very tiny wear mark on the barrel hood (a millimeter?), but otherwise no signs of wear at all. The Baer Coat doesn't look as shiny as the Armor-Tuff.

TEX'N, I don't mind a tight 1911 at all; I do prefer the accuracy it affords. However, I don't like firing any gun out of battery, which is why I made sure the slide was fully forward before firing. Make no mistake, though, breaking it in is extremely enjoyable.

Deafdog, that is the perfect word to describe the grips -- sharp. Painful. Uncomfortable. After reading all the replies to my review, I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the matter. Depending on the Spegel grips Allan Yoast has, I may just purchase the ones you mention.

Best to all,

Ivanhoe
Old 07-07-2001, 12:49 AM

You guys need to check out what my buddy calls "pimp grips" from Carbon Creations, made from kevlar and carbon fiber, I've got two sets of the double diamond black grips, one on my PII 38 super in hardchrome with the 1.5" package and on my stroked over TRP. They are not susceptible to any chemical and are very pleasing to the touch, the pattern changes as light hits them, not to mention the thought of having some bullet-proofesque material grips on my guns is a kick and they turn heads and get a lot of good comments from other shooters. I caused a gunsmith I know who was building a gun for his own personal use to buy a pair when he finally saw them in person. Email me for some pics.

------------------
The only sure things in life:
1. Water is wet
2. The sky is blue
3. Women have secrets

[This message has been edited by fireslayer23 (edited 07-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by fireslayer23 (edited 07-07-2001).]
Old 08-01-2001, 06:40 PM

Do you find the rear sight sharp? It looks like it could be either way. I might consider a supertac but I don't want the rear sight to catch on things, nor to tear up my off hand when cycling the slide during chambering, or when performing Tap-rack-ready drills.

Thanks! SF