1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 01-27-2004, 04:42 PM

The Charter 2000 "off duty" .38spl?

I was just in a police supply house and saw one of these for sale. Price = $250. Impression: ugly, but.....

I've long been in search of a snubbie to carry for backup or when a fullsize weapon just isn't practical. I would love a S*W snubbie, preferably a 640 or the like, but I can never find a used one without the trigger lock thing.

The same store has a Colt snubnose, model unknown, that has seen better days. It has the same pricetag as the Charter2k, but it would need to visit a smith before I felt comfortable shooting it, certainly before I carried it. And it has an exposed hammer.

Is the "Off Duty" worth the money or am I better off saving up for that Smith? How many rounds do you have through yours?

Old 01-27-2004, 05:40 PM

I don't know about the "Charter 2000" models, but I certanily wasn't impressed with a Charter Arms Bulldog circa 1980. It went back to Charter Arms twice for problems with the cylinder.

On the other hand, I have never been dissatisfied with a S&W J frame. I presently own a 642, and recently acquired a very sweet Airweight 37 square butt for only a few more bucks than you quoted for the Charter.

IMHO, save for the Smith.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:38 PM

I agree. Don't compromise on this. The Smith is the best. The Ruger 101 is ok too, but nothing beats a Smith.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:26 PM

I bought a new Charco ( new Charter Arms company) .38 Undercover in 2002. I shot a couple of hundred rounds out of it, then sold it.

There is no side plate, and the trigger and action groups are pinned together - not screwed. The pins work themselves loose under recoil. If they come all the way loose, the springs and hammer and gun and all goes "BOING" and you have to send it back to Charco to be reassembled, unless you're a watchmaker with a bunch of very skinny tools and fixtures and doodads - and patience.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:44 AM

VaughnT:

No model on the Colt??? I gather is an older model. Two things:

1. Make sure it is safe to shoot +P ammo with it.

2. Hammer can be bobbed

Things to look for in a used revolver: Timing, erosion around the forcing cone (probably not an issue in a .38), firing pin and have the springs replaced.

I have the S & W 442 and I really like it. Super light, can handle +P ammo, no hammer, accurate for it's size and most important it always goes BANG!