1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 12-17-2003, 10:11 AM

Kershaw Blackout versus Benchmade Griptilian 551BT

I've narrowed my search for a self-defense folder to these two models, both of which fit my needs and budget. In price, they're only a few dollars apart.

I like the Kershaw's spring-assisted opening--slick and quick. The Griptilian's grip feels a little nicer.

Any thoughts on how these two compare to each other?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:41 PM

I have both and I have to say that the griptilian is a much better made knife. The 551's Axis lock is far better than the liner lock on the Kershaw. I like both knives but feel the BM is a better knife and about as quick to use.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:33 PM

Dittos. I also have both and have stopped carrying the Kershaw after purchasing the Griptillian. The Axis lock is just a more positive lockup. The Griptillian also opens very quickly so the speed of the Kershaw assisted opening is pretty much negated. This is my first Benchmade and I like it so much I plan on picking up some of their other models. BTW, Cabela's has excellent prices on the Griptillians
Old 12-20-2003, 12:13 PM

As an added plus, the steel used in Benchmade knives is generally superior to the Kershaws. I stopped carrying my Blackout after buying my first Benchmade, there is simply no comparison in overall quality.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:18 PM

I also was in the market for a knife and it cam down to the Griptilain and the Keshaw blur. I settled on the Benchmade as the axis lock was more to my liking and the Benchmade just appeared sturdier to me.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:28 PM

Griptillian for sure

You can also purchase a trainer for the benchmade. Might save you some skin and make you that much more confident in your grip.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Banned

GRIPTILIAN all the way!
The Griptilian is a SUPERIOR knife! I wouldn't waste the money on a Kershaw if there was a Benchmade closer in price. Don't compromise quality with price... Buy the Griptilian and let us know if we were wrong...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:50 PM

Yet another vote for the griptilian. Once I acquired an axis lock it is hard to look at others.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:55 AM

I carry a (mini) griptilian as my everyday carry knife, and really like it. As others have said, the steel in the benchmade is generally superior to what kershaw uses--I'm assuming it is AUS 6 or 8 in the Kershaw? Get the Benchmade.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:59 PM

Just because THAY PAID ME---> KERSHAW<---

N/M
Old 01-22-2004, 10:08 PM

It seems to me that I did hear that kershaw has a new one out thats actually got some decent steel in it, but its more expensive, and I'd still take an axis lock over a frame lock anyday.