1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 11-06-2003, 08:57 PM

FM Detective HI-Power kits ?

Hi , has anyone had any experince with the FM detective kit for Hi powers as seen in the SHOTGUN NEWS from The Dealer Warehouse. Its a compact slide to make a HP compact. They go for $195.Made in Argentina by FM. They look interesting Thanks for any help. ALso who is FM vs FN?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:58 PM

FM vs FN

FM stands for Fuerza Militar, which means Military Force (or army) in Spanish. FM BHPs were produced at an army arsenal at Rosada, Argentina. FN stands for Fabrique National, which is a longtime Belgian arms manufacturer that had a long manufacturing relationship with John M. Browning. This company also produced the FN-FAL rifle and the original version of the US army's current squat attack weapon.

Old 11-29-2003, 08:10 PM

I too am interested in the Detective slide or the FM Detective Compact HiPower sold by the Dealer warehouse. Anyone with experience with these pistols.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:33 AM

The units are overpriced. Why? I only paid $210 for my FM pistol. Regards, Richard
Old 11-30-2003, 12:46 PM

Last edited by NickStone; 11-30-2003 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard
The units are overpriced. Why? I only paid $210 for my FM pistol. Regards, Richard
Was your pistol a compact or "Detective" model? If it wasn't than it's apples and oranges.

Ed

Last edited by NickStone; 11-30-2003 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard
And I paid less than $200 for a Browning HiPower

What I asked was if anyone had any experience with the Detective models or slides from FM.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:18 PM

jacketech, I addressed the beginning post by BB 4XL not yours. I have well over 5,000 rounds through my pistol and I am entitled to my opinion. That opinion is that I would not pay $200 for a barrel, recoil spring, and slide that are not Browning/FN quality. One is being raped by the distributor for a slight oddity. Regards, Richard
Old 11-30-2003, 05:36 PM

Ya, I have had one for about a year now. I like it alot. I bought it already on a FM frame from FAC. I put a C&S wide trigger and extended saftey along with Houge grips and I carry it alot. My main carry is still my NRM Commander but I really like the FM alot and carry it quite often. It shoots great. I seem to be attracted to mid sized guns. They seem to fit my eye better. I recommend getting one, unless you can afford a $2000 pathfinder....
Old 11-30-2003, 06:24 PM

What are the sights like on this top end? Anyone seen 'em up close?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:17 AM

FM Detective Sights

Try the manufacturer's web page (www.myaflb.com.ar), select "Productos", "Armas Portatiles" and then "Datos Tecnicos". This will display the entire line of HP pistols in production.

By the way, FM stands for "Fabricaciones Militares", which is the name of the state company that produces military weapons in Argentina (HP 35, FAL, etc)

JCM
Old 12-04-2003, 05:09 PM

FM MEANS "FABRICA MILITAR" (MILITAR FACTORY).
THIS FACTORY WAS LOCATED IN ROSARIO (A CITY OF 1.000.000 CITIZENS, 400 KM FROM BUENOS AIRES). THE FACTORY NAME WAS "FABRICA MILITAR DOMINGO MATHEU", THIS FACTORY ALSO MADE THE "SISTEMA COLT" BETWEEN 1945-1966. IN THE SIXTIES ARGENTINA STARTED THE PRODUCTION OF HP UNDER FN LICENSE. THE FACTORY "DOMINGO MATHEU" WAS CLOSED IN 1991. NOW THE HP ARE MADE IN "FABRICA MILITAR FRAY LUIS BELTRÁN" IN FRAY LUIS BELTRÁN (AN SMALL CITY 20 KM FROM ROSARIO).
OSVALDO VAN LACKE.