1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > USGI/Foreign Military and other Vintage 1911s

Old 01-09-2001, 04:04 PM

Find of the Weekend!

Hey Guys!
Okay, it's not the biggest find in the world and it wasn't a Singer 1911A1 but I did find a mint 45 magazine with a "S" stamp at an antique mall over the weekend.

Price tag? Four bucks. Whoo Hooo!

So the purpose of this post is to look everywhere. The last WW2 magazine I purchased with a "S" was $20 at a gunshow. This will make antique shopping more interesting with wife unit
Old 01-09-2001, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Well, I'm close. I've picked up two S magazines and one L magazine for $6.99 each at a gunshop. They're relatively easy to find cheap simply because a lot of people don't know how to ID a WW2 magazine.

BTW I also have a rare unmarked, full-blued Colt WW2 magazine that should be worth around $40, but isn't because some idiot tried to fake a WW1 two-tone and sanded off the finish, making it worth about $4 now.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 09:26 PM

You've got the hardware. Find the idiot and shoot him!

*WARNING* I meant to be funny here. In no way, shape or form does Ramjet endorse the shooting of idiots although it may be viewed by many in this group as a valuable public service.
Old 01-10-2001, 12:12 AM
Administrator

It's kinda like the T-shirt I read once that noted that "some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them". Definitely not PC, but I'm sure most can relate anyway. Kinda like the person in front of me on the road today, who nearly rear-ended the person in front of him at least three times because he kept trying to reach something in the back seat. The simple idea of pulling over to do that was too much to contemplate, I guess.
Old 01-10-2001, 01:51 AM
Administrator

BTW speaking of weekend finds, mine this weekend was a no-find. At the Puyallup gunshow there were plenty of old ex-GI .45's, but man! People seem to think that an old beater with no finish left or reblued is actually worth $1500 or more! The cheapest one I saw was an old Ithaca with absolutely ZERO finish left for $800!

When I showed off my 90% Remington-Rand on the collector's forum I was criticized for spending $600 for a gun that they said held no collector's interest. Well, after what I saw at the show and what I'm seeing lately on the auction sites I got a damn good deal. I bought it as a beater to shoot, but now I think maybe I ought to preserve it and go find a beater-beater.
Old 01-10-2001, 07:44 AM

You may spend more on the gun w\ no finish than you did on your other one.....

Anthony