1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stasher1
Well, it finally happened to me. One of my 10rd. CMC "Power Mags" put a mark on the frame of my Stainless Pro Carry II.

Does anybody offer a kit to "fix" the 10 rounders or do I need to sell them and buy some more Wilson mags?
My ultra CDP won't feed on about 3 or 4 out of ten shots with myy power mag. I too need a fix for this.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pistolpete45
My ultra CDP won't feed on about 3 or 4 out of ten shots with myy power mag. I too need a fix for this.
Do they make a different sized pad for use with the shorter frame, it's hard to keep up with the variations?

Does Wilsom make a kit for that magazine?

Good shooting!
Old 12-30-2003, 04:13 PM

so will the #19 fit the kimber 8rd mag(it came with) or should I get something else and what would it be
Old 01-02-2004, 05:58 PM

I am adding this pic of the offending steel split shelf follower in the CMC mag so everyone can see what not to use in an aluminum frame.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:17 PM

That's just like my CMC 10rd Power Mag. Can anyone just put a Wilson plastic follower on the CMC spring?
Old 01-03-2004, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Shear
I am adding this pic of the offending steel split shelf follower in the CMC mag so everyone can see what not to use in an aluminum frame.
Is it safe to use with a steel frame, such as with my Custom II?
I just purchased quite a few 8 round magzines.
Thank you in advance.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:53 PM
In Memory of John Forsyth

Quote:
Originally posted by pistolpete45
That's just like my CMC 10rd Power Mag. Can anyone just put a Wilson plastic follower on the CMC spring?
Not sure about using only the follower, but I've seen numerous posts from people using the Wilson spring and follower kits in non Wilson Magazines.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Phineas Edgar Horton, Oct. 22, 1932-Nov. 16, 2009. My Father in Law, who always treated me as his own son, you will be sorely missed.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:56 AM

I didn't see a kit for 10 rd mags listed. I'll give them a call Monday.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Banned

I replaced all of the split followers on my Kimber mags with Wilson followers and springs. These were 7 round officer mags and 8 round full size mags. I also know that Kimber has round nose followers on their mags now according to what I read here. I just finally said the hell with it and bought Wilson mags. It would be interesting to see if the followers would work with the other springs. Would also be interesting to see if the Wilson 10 round mag springs and followers would work in the Kimber mags. I use the Kimber mags with the Wilson followers as well as the Wilson mags and they all work in my Ultra II and Custom.

Deezul
Old 01-04-2004, 01:52 PM

I haven't been by this forum in a while, I'm glad I stopped by. I've been telling anyone who asked me how I like my Tactical (my only Kimber) that it's a nice gun, but if you look inside, they did a very sloppy job of polishing the feedramp -- looks like a guy with a dremel slipped a few times, and they just let it leave the factory that way. It never occured to me that the magazines might have dug those grooves. Glad I know now before I put an other 2,000 rounds through it. Those McCormick's were the only magazines I've ever used with that gun.

Last edited by Robert1911; 01-04-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Banned

Looks just like the gouging did on my Ultra before it went back to Kimber. They hand "polished" the gouges out, tuned the extractor and returned it. I have since polished the feedramp more, and switched to Wilson mags. No more problems.

Deezul
Old 01-04-2004, 06:04 PM

Yikes, I just ordered a bunch of Powermags for my Lightweight. I had my gunsmith install a steel feedramp into the frame, hope this prevents the problem......

Old 01-05-2004, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LVMPDawg
Yikes, I just ordered a bunch of Powermags for my Lightweight. I had my gunsmith install a steel feedramp into the frame, hope this prevents the problem
It'll take more than hope. If I were you I would not trust than nicely polished feed ramp to hope. If those new mags have the offending steel split shelf style follower in the CMC mags, I would not fire a single round with them. Why chance it?
“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation” Herbert Spencer 1820-1903
Old 01-05-2004, 04:27 PM

Has anyone tried the Metalform magazine. My gunsmith highly recommends them. I was looking at their web site and you can buy direct and get any combination of features you want. I was looking at the competition magazine and it seems to have it all (stainless, round follower, removable base, rubber bumper). If a group buy is permitted on this site we could get the competition mag (most expensive) for around $13.62 ea. Other combinations are available for less money. I don't know if you could just purchase the followers but it is a consideration.

https://www.metalformmagazines.com

If anyone knows where to buy them at a discount a group purchase may not be necessary. I have never used the Metalform magazine but I would like to hear from someone that has used them. I am going on the word of a gunsmith that I trust but I believe in trust but verify.

Other than converting magazines what other choices do we have? Who else makes a quality magazine with a rounded follower? I looked a CDNN but can't tell if any of those (Colt, Mec-Gar, etc.) have rounded followers.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:21 PM

Many of us love Metalforms, do a search and you'll have enough reading material until Spring! There's a group buy going on right now.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:00 PM

not having a 1911. but am buying one pretty soon.

so basically if you have an aluminum frame you should make sure your mags have plastic followers? do they make plasic followers for 1911 type mags?

and who makes them??

oh, and what type of mag comes with the gun and is it a plastic follower?

thanks...
Old 01-07-2004, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crodbum
not having a 1911. but am buying one pretty soon.

so basically if you have an aluminum frame you should make sure your mags have plastic followers? do they make plasic followers for 1911 type mags?

and who makes them??

oh, and what type of mag comes with the gun and is it a plastic follower?

thanks...
Yes,plastic is fine.Wilson Combat makes some of the best.But you can have metal. I like Ed Brown. Just make sure the follower is not a flat split shelf steel one. I posted pics of metal ones that are rounded and extend down into the mag body, they are ok for aluminum frames. The one on the right is ok, The left is not.

Last edited by BGPD; 01-07-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:44 PM

I am adding this pic also for those of us who have aluminum frames and mag wells(need large base pads and the appropriate followers). This is an Ed Brown 7 rounder I ordered through Brownells. The base comes installed. As you can see it is pefect.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:41 PM

What is the wilson part # for the plastic follower style mag?

Wilsons web site left me confused

I just bought a pro carry 2 and it came with the split style steel follower

Where is the best place to buy them?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 06:11 AM

stryfox-your Procarry II if I am not mistaken is all steel and it would really not matter about the mag. But if you want to order Wilsons all of ther followers are "polymer". You can get 7,8 or extended 10 round mags. Me, I like the good old 7 rounders, they haven't failed me in 30 years so why switch now for 1 extra round. Go to the Wilsons site and get the toll free # and call them. They are very nice people. Basically the #47 is the standard govt size 7round mag. The 47OX is the Officers size mag. The 47D is 8 round.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:42 AM

albert shear,,,

i have not looked but does the cdp or aluminum frame 1911's come with the rounded type follower design?

if im not mistaken isnt their some 1911 mags that just have the 'one" follower and not the split shelf type? could those be used?
Old 01-08-2004, 11:57 AM

Hi Crodbum, I'm not albert but I think I can help. the new CDPs and hopefully all aluminum framed kimbers should have the new style follower with the extension like shown in Albert's pics. I believe that any mags with the one piece follower will be fine.

Tim

Last edited by Tim L; 01-08-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:06 PM

Tim is correct, and thanks to him for a timely answer.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:12 PM

gotcha!!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the info.
My pro carry 2 is stainless with aluminium frame and night sites.
It did come with the split style follower.
I will order some 47's from wilson
Thanks again
Closed Thread