1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

McCormick mags and aluminum frames...

160K views 202 replies 110 participants last post by  BrianMajors 
#1 ·
Here's a pic of the damage caused by McCormick style followers. This is mild compared to others I've seen. Thanks to the dump truck full o' sand drivin' game master for letting me take pics of his CDP.

:D

See less See more
#3 ·
Sniper said:
Here's a pic of the damage caused by McCormick style followers. This is mild compared to others I've seen. Thanks to the dump truck full o' sand drivin' game master for letting me take pics of his CDP.

:D

Mine Pro CDP looks almost the same after roughly 1200 rounds through it, but with more wear on the rails.

If I understand correctly, Wilson mags have plastic followers that do not damage the frame, am I right? I have a few of the ordered, but it takes a lot of time to get them here.

#5 ·
I really like my Wilson 47OX mag for my CDP Compact. The factory mag that came with the gun is actually quite well built, also. I can't figure out who makes this one, but the follower is very stable, the mag body thick and durable, and it hasn't caused a single misfeed.

I'm horrified by what I see that the McCormick mag is doing. Is that from the lower "leaf" of the follower (the part that engages the slide stop) shifting forward?

#6 · (Edited)
ontarget said:
Is that from the lower "leaf" of the follower (the part that engages the slide stop) shifting forward?
In this case the answer is yes. In other cases depening on how the magazine follower is adjusted the upper, or both leaves can impact the frame. When the upper leaf impacts the frame it can be high enough to score the feed ramp. There are also magazines with metal followers that have a step arrangement to activate the slide stop, these can also impact the frame either below the ramp or on the ramp. I have seen ramp scoring that did not look all that bad that actually was rough enough to prevent FMJ ammo from feeding.

I agree with AZ this photo should be a stickey.

Str8_Shot

#13 ·
We just got a new Custom 2 in as a rental at the range. I had to do my part as a good employee and shoot it to break it in even though I wasn't working at the time :). I was surprised to see the mag was a Mecgar (it said so.) No Kimber name on the bottom like the old ones. It wasn't the same follower design as the ones I got with my Stainless and CDP. It was still a metal follower but not the "split follower" that bites the bottom of the ramp area. Maybe they changed them all ?? I saw a new Pro Tactical (not a Tactical Pro) that also had a mag like this but with a bumper pad.

And, this mag spring was stiff enough where it was very difficult to release the slide stop on an empty mag. You had to really push like another post talked about.

#15 ·
Well, I was told by willson that they would be, but that you will drop back to 7rds instead of 8rds. I will see this weekend!

For the record, the follower on the Kimber mag looks different than the Chip McCormick I have in only one way. The Kimber follower, at the front end of the follower, has tab that extends down, which would appear to keep the follower from rocking forward and hitting the frame. I still plan to go to plastic followers on the kimber mags though to CMA.

Wes

#16 ·
I think the biggest problem with the CMC follower is it lacks the lenght on the back side that most followers have, but the follower in the Kimber mag that came with my Tactical II seems to solve the issue.
Check out these pics, black is Kimber and stainless is CMC:

Attachments

#17 ·
Has anyone tried to put a Wilson plastic follower in a CMC Shooting Star or Power Mag? If so how did you get the Wilson follwer into the mag body? My wilson followers have to be removed from the bottom by taking the base plate off. All of my CMC mags have welded base pads and you get the follower out by angling them forward and then out past the feed lips.

Please help!!!!!!!
MadDog :confused:

#19 ·
Just took the plastic follower and spring out of one of my Wilson's and put it in one of my CMC Shooting Star mags. Fits just fine and works perfectly. 50 rounds through the mag with no problems. I will keep using this setup for target practice for a while before I decide to trust my life to them, but for $7.95 per spring and follower combo I can afford to convert the other six CMC mags that I have.

MadDog :p

#20 ·
MadDog said:
Has anyone tried to put a Wilson plastic follower in a CMC Shooting Star or Power Mag? If so how did you get the Wilson follwer into the mag body? My wilson followers have to be removed from the bottom by taking the base plate off. All of my CMC mags have welded base pads and you get the follower out by angling them forward and then out past the feed lips.

Please help!!!!!!!
MadDog :confused:
Wilson mags require a different spring and follwer replacement set than all the other mags on the market.

Here was the email I recived concerning them:
The follower in our spring kit is a polymer follower. There is one spring kit that should fit both of the magazine types that you have, it is the #19. If you have 8 round magazines this is not the case as there is one set-up for our magazine and a different one for the other brands.
Thanks,
Greg Gimenez
Wilson Combat & Scattergun Technologies - On Your Side
www.wilsoncombat.com

#22 ·
The part number you are looking for is #19 for $4.99 however these are the replacments for the stock Wilson mags. I just tried one in a CMC Shooting Star mag and it worked pretty well. I called Wilson and they tell me that kit is not made for CMC, Kimber or Colt mags. They said to use kit # 266-45C so I purchased a few for $7.95 each. I will let ya'll know how they work when they come in.

#23 ·
Warranty

As Kimbers come with Mccormick mags, will they fix/replace the damaged frame?

#24 ·
I would dissagree with what info you recived on the #19 spring kit. This is what I emailed Willson:

I have a question concerning another potential order from me. I would like to get 5 springs and followers. I would prefer the Replacement 7rd follower/spg kits. I have two questions. The most improtant question I have about the kit is if the follower is plastic? The second question is will these kits fit your standard 1911 gov't seven round mags, as well as chip mccormic mags?

Thanks,
Wes
The response I recived was the following:

The follower in our spring kit is a polymer follower. There is one spring kit that should fit both of the magazine types that you have, it is the #19. If you have 8 round magazines this is not the case as there is one set-up for our magazine and a different one for the other brands.
Thanks,
Greg Gimenez
Wilson Combat & Scattergun Technologies - On Your Side
www.wilsoncombat.com
So, I don't see why they recomended the kit you mentioned, which I think is actually the rebuild kit for their mags.

I will pull out my catalouge and look tommarow. I have yet to install the new springs and followers that didn't arrive until Monday despite ordering on Tuesday at 6pm via internet and paying for two day shiping.

If they gave me the wrong info on the springs and followers, I can assure you and willson combat that I will take my future bussiness elsewhere.

Wes

#25 ·
Wangstang -

Wilson gave me just the opposite information. They said the #19 kit will work for Wilson and Colt mags but the #266-45C is better for the Shooting Star mags because the follower comes down just a little farther in the front which is supposed to be designed specifically for CMC mags. I put some #19 kits in CMC mags and they work well but I thought I would give a kit made specifically for CMC's a try.

#26 · (Edited)
AZ Husker said:
Sniper's photo should be made into a "sticky" and made mandatory viewing since this topic is coming up so often!
I second AZ Husker's suggestion. It is info like this that makes this forum such a valuable resource. I just bought a new kimber and thanks to this thread I never fired a single round with the supplied magazine. I waited and bought me some Wilson Combat mags. I am truly grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.