1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 10-04-2003, 12:30 AM

What is the rarest gun in the whole world?

Okay I was thinking after doing some research on the singer 1911. What is the rarest or you could say most valuable gun in the enitre world? I even did a search on this and couldnt find any.

Last edited by Aunt Mod; 10-04-2003 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:44 AM

Re: What is the rarest gun in the whole world?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Mod
Okay I was thinking after doing some research on the singer 1911. What is the rarest or you could say most valuable gun in the enitre world? I even did a search on this and couldnt find any.
Hi,

The rarest is the Luger 45. There's only one original. I'm told
that there are knock-offs, but there were two that were ever
made to compete with 1911 to become U.S. sidearm. Only
one remains.

The most valuable firearm is that engraved Colt that is in
the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's a Colt Third Model Dragoon
Percussion Revolver, ca. 1853. Engraving is by Gustave Young.

Gee ... that makes me want to go out and buy a Colt. Maybe
a NRM 1991 and a SAA.

thanks

Jae
Old 10-04-2003, 06:09 AM

There are many.......

but one of the most interesting, in my opinion would be the Webly Mars. How many of those have YOU handled?
Old 10-04-2003, 08:15 AM

I think I own the rarest S&W revolver
I have the only pre model 29 prototype 44 magnum left in existance (the rest were destroyed at the factory)

serial number is right before Uncle Elmer's first production pistol

Mike
Old 10-04-2003, 08:20 AM

I agree with Saab. Well agree is not the right word, it would be kind of like agreeing that the world is round, it is a fact.

I often wonder what happened to the other 45 Luger used in the military trials, surely it was pretty beat up (Glock was not the first to torture test guns), but no one can say for sure if it was destroyed, or lost, or stolen or what. Conventional wisdom says it was damaged beyond use and scrapped.

Imagine coming across that little beauty in an attic somewhere.

There are two kinds of super expensive guns (some fine H&H doubles are pricey, but not really in the stratosphere like the Luger or the Colt above), those that are super rare, or those with some outstanding provenance. There was a Tales of the Gun episode on this exact subject and they profiled the Luger, some Colts, and Hitlers personal pistol which they hypothesized he used to shoot himself (since then the Russians have admitted he was poisoned, and if shot, it was after the fact).

Now the guns I would like to have? General Pattons Ivory handled .45, and .357 Magnum S&W currently at the Patton museum. Contrary to urban legend, Patton never carried two Ivory handled Colts, the second gun was the Smith. (One of the first ones produced in 1935. Patton called it his "killing gun")

http://www.pattonhq.com/unknown/chap05.html

Not only do they have a great story behind them, but think of the history those guns saw as the Third Army stormed across Europe in 1944 and 1945. Oh well, I can dream can't I?

Last edited by CTSigLover; 10-04-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:22 AM

For 1911 style pistols, I'd have to say the 7/8 scale one designed for a European contract chambered for the 9.8M/M ACP round. IIRC only two prototypes were made. Remington-Peters made the ammunition, a lot more of the rounds can be found than pistols.
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:53 PM

I think the rarest is an American made Walther TPH that feeds reliably out of the box...
Old 10-04-2003, 10:05 PM

The rarest? I don't think there is one that could claim this title - as there are no doubt many singular examples. Perhaps the title of "rarest and most coveted" might be more related to monetary value. I'd bet if you could found a Colt Walker you'd see some furious activity over it at Sotherby's.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:31 PM

I have a Bulgarian Makarov in 9X18, when I bought it the gun the dealer said that there were only a few in America, thus the $800 price tag.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:39 PM

The rarest gun in the world....hummm...let me think a minute or two. I know, the one that never jams on you.
The most valuable gun is one that goes bang when you need it the most.

Last edited by 4thHorseman; 10-04-2003 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:39 PM

I know my most coveted firearm is the HK P7M7, a standard P7 design chambered in .45. There are 6 of them in existance, all 6 are still at the factory.
USPSA Club MN07
Metal workin' tool and die grease monkey.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:21 AM

I once saw a Webley pattern revolver that was one of a kind, as it was the "only" one ever made by Holland & Holland. The price was $75,000, and it was sold. The dealer is reputable, and I expect he was being truthful about it.

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
Old 10-05-2003, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TimWarner
I know my most coveted firearm is the HK P7M7, a standard P7 design chambered in .45. There are 6 of them in existance, all 6 are still at the factory.
I'll second that. I wish HK had produced that, the potential of the P7 in a relevant calibre cannot really be overstated.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:18 AM

rarest gun....a Harry Carter original. I know a man(Harry Carter) that builds black powder guns to order. Each one is unique and one of a kind. He not only works each stock out of a block of wood, he...casts his own brass, makes his own screws, uses acid to individually brown each barrel/stripe each stock and takes measurements to ensure each stock is perfectly fitted to the person the weapon is intended for. I seriously doubt anyone here has heard of him since he does everything in his tiny shop(a one man operation..literally). But like I said, each gun he makes is one of a kind and cannot be duplicated.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TimWarner
I got to see and handle one of the six last Thursday in the HK grey room in Sterling VA.

None of them are completly finished.

The one in the Grey Room doesn't have the top slide serations finished.

They were made for 'miami vice', but they went with the Bren 10 instead.

It is a beautiful gun, but a bit on the heavy side.
But I would have loved to take it home, along with just about every other gun in the Grey Room!!

A clear UMP 45, red framed USP .45, just about every variation of the MP5, a PSG, and a whole lot more, including several prototype SOCOMS, that were originally designated as Government 45's.
And the original prototype laser system is HUGE!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:33 AM

What about a Calico? Thats an automatic pistol with a mag capacity of like 100rounds or something.

Im pretty sure they only made a few of those.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:31 AM

I was at the course with Tim, and I got a picture of the .45 P7 if anyone is interested. I will try to post it here in the next couple of days. Adam
Old 10-06-2003, 09:58 AM

The History Channel use to regularly have a sho called the History of the Gun, or Story of the Gun, something like that. On it one night was an engraved set of Colts from the 1800's with gold inlay and jewels on it that was suppose to be the most valuable. They also had a Colt Peacemaker, just a plain, ole' used Colt Peacemaker, with the serial number 1 on it that was suppose to be the rarest, because only one could ever be in existance.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:01 AM

Possibly the Dardick (spelling?). I think I remember that it shot "trounds."
ken
Old 10-06-2003, 10:19 AM

Plazma phase rifle in the 40 watt range.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Administrator

The "trounds" themselves certainly weren't rare. Gun Parts Corp was trying to sell them off in their catalog for years.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Plazma phase rifle in the 40 watt range.

"Hey only what you see, buddy"

Show me a gun store in California with shotgun shells on the counter
Old 10-06-2003, 11:16 AM

I once saw a picture of an engraved MP5 that HK gave to the Shah of Iran - wonder where that is today?

And what of the Honus Wagner 1911?
Old 10-06-2003, 03:07 PM

There are many one-of-a-kind guns out there. They would all be the most rare. Anyone who has built their own muzzeloader from scratch (not a kit) has a rare gun.

Now, the most expensive is a different story.
NRA Life Member
Old 10-06-2003, 04:33 PM

I own the rarest gun out there. A Colt Government Model that was built to my specs. There ain't another one like it in the world. For that matter, BillD own the rarest gun out there, a Norinco built to his specs. It's the only one in existence.