1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 09-02-2003, 10:53 PM

Springfield v12

Hey folks, I'm a first time poster on the 1911 forum and I'v been thinking about a stainless v12 in a full size frame. I was wondering if I could get any first hand testamony on this model. I want a pistol that is accurate, reliable, and made well. Looks fall in there somewere. Any help on this would be much appriciated.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:23 AM

Losing Nemo,

I have a V12 that I have had for almost 2 years now. What can I say, I love this gun! Now, the only other thing I will say is that the ported barrel can be good and bad DEPENDING upon what you want to use it for.... For example, it is not allowed in IDPA and it is allowed in IPSC; only you will be shooting in the unlimited class. I personally use mine for plinking, home protection, and pin shoots. I will say that I have not seen a better pin gun that has not been modified after purchase. I'm sure that you will probably get some responses about the porting being detrimental for a carry gun because in certain shooting situations you could expose yourself to the muzzle flash... I am not trying to start a flame war here (no pun intended), but I do not agree with this... As I stated, I have had it for about 2 years and while there is sometimes a great amount of muzzle flash, I do not think that it would be enough to catch anything on fire... OK, enough ranting about that subject. I guess I should try and answer your question more specifically. Accuracy - I give it an A+... I can't tell you what kind of groups I get at 25 yards as I rarely shoot at that distance, but it is a tack driver at 15 yards for sure. Reliability - I have had one problem with it in the 2 years that I have had it regarding reliability - the extractor eventually cracked off a small piece at the hook end. Easy fix, called Springfield and they sent me a new one in the mail no questions asked... It has fed everything I have ever put through it. Made well - that one is a little harder to quantify... For the money, its a great handgun, but its not a Baer or a Brown by any stretch of the imagination. Anyway, I hope this helps!

Maddux70
Old 09-05-2003, 03:14 PM

C'mon guys! I know there are more forum members that own V12's then just me... We don't want Losing Nemo to think that input isn't given when it is asked for do we?

oh, and I forgot to say "welcome to the forum Nemo" on my first reply!
Old 09-07-2003, 11:49 PM

v12

i have a v-12, it is my most accurate pistol. I have a 6 round group measuring 1 and 7/8 inches at 15 yards. The bullseye on the target was almost totally gone. Its a great target shooting pistol, but I wouldnt carry it for protection unless it was my only choice, and its not. I have a standard 1911 for that. I was being stupid one day, and shot the v-12 in a position where the ports were in my face!!! Let me tell you, it felt like somebody punched me in the face. And i had a headache for the rest of the day! So just don't be dumb like me, and everything should be fine.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:07 AM

Welcome Nemo! Since I don't have a V12, I can't help with advise, but I've got a question for maddux and trdslinger. Besides the muzzle blast impacting or burning something, how's the "flash factor" in dark/dusk conditions? The one pistol I shot with upward ports blinded me for an hour after one round in a darkened range!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:45 AM

blinding light

Well, i don't shoot at dark ranges, so I have never been blinded, but I've heard this is an issue. I believe this is specifically a comp/target pistol. Not to be confused with a firearm used in combat where dark/night situations may occur. Thats just my opinion. I don't carry a firearm for protection, or even keep one loaded in my house. The only situation that I would even think of involving me in a combat situation would be a SHTF senario, and in that case I'll be using my M1A bush. Nemo, if you don't already have a M1A, I recommend a regular loaded model. A ported gun can't be used in combat competitions, and if your ever gonna participate in one, you will need a standard pistol.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:24 AM

flash factor

Well, I hate to post a reply of little value, but I have to agree with trdslinger... I haven't ever fired it in really dark situations. I did shoot it late in the evening at an IPSC match one time, but I don't remember anything standing out to me as bright; however, I have to say that I am "used" to seeing the muzzle flash so I don't know if it would have bothered a shooter that isn't accustomed to it. I hope that helps a little.

Maddux70