1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 08-28-2003, 10:53 AM

Convert mag release button to right side?

I am a lefty and was wondering how hard it would be for a gunsmith to convert the mag release on a 1911 to the right side of the gun? He would have to weld up the frame, recut the holes, and flip the release around, along with notch the opposite side of the mags. Am I missing anything else? How much do you think a smith would charge for this work? What are the chances of finding a smith that would undertake such a project? Any opinions on this are very welcome.

(BTW, I know that I can easily manipulate the factory one with my left hand and all of that, but I am very picky...almost too picky )
Old 08-28-2003, 11:07 AM

mag catch

Cylinder and Slide offers an ambi version. Might work for you.

Cheers,

Norm
Old 08-28-2003, 11:10 AM

Why not buy one of Smith and Alexander's ambi mag releases? Cheaper than having a smith do your conversion.

He'd also have to make a new mag release, one a mirror image of one in use now. Or you can do a big search and try to locate one of the mag releases made for the "left" hand 1911A1s made by Randall et al. Far cheaper to use the S&A unit.
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:10 AM

Smith and Alexander makes a reversed mag release. However, I'm also left-handed and think it is an advantage using the standard set-up for speed and safety. No way to reload with your finger on the trigger and you don't need to change your grip to hit the mag button. I use a slightly extended button with nearly stock spring.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:23 AM

Thank you for all of your responses.

Norm Lee,
I ordered one of them and it is a very poor design that I could only see working on a plinker. The thing is made of plastic. I highly recommend to anyone to NOT get it.

Jim,
What would be the problem with just flipping the right handed one around?

Bill,
Is it a reversed release or an ambi release? Also, like I said in my "BTW" I know that I can manipulate it with my left hand. I just don't want to. Like I said, I am picky (too picky) and am not satisfied using a gun that was not designed for me (lefty) no matter how well you can "make it work".

I just want to know if it would be possible, if I would be able to find a smith that would do it, if there are any problems I am overlooking, and how much it would cost.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:45 PM

Take the magazine release out of your pistol. There is a beveled section that the magazine pushes out of the way as the magazine ins pushed home, the top side of the bevel is the lip that catches the magazine. Flip the catch over so that it could be used on the left hand side of the frame and the bevel will now be on the top and the catch part on the bottom. Perhaps a gunsmith could weld up the catch and rework it so it had the bevel on the bottom and catch on the top.

I am sure that if you want to spend enough money you will be able to find a gunsmith that would convert your pistol to have a magazine release like you want.
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.

Last edited by Jim V; 08-28-2003 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:58 PM

Jim V,

Gotcha, thanks. I have taken them out once or twice before but never paid enough attention to notice that.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:18 PM

Why bother going thru the hassle of reversing the mag release and end up shifting the gun around in your hand to try and use your thumb to hit the mag release when you can just use your trigger finger to do it? I think most of the people buying the ambi mag release are right handers wanting to do the same......use the trigger finger to drop the mags.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:43 PM

Did I miss something in the discussion? You're going to have to modify all your magazines if you truly create a lefty mag release.
The cutout that sits an inch and a half down from the lips on the right side is where the standard mag catch holds the mag. That slot would have to be duplicated on the left side of the magazine.

Having watched good left handed shooters in IPSC and IDPA use their trigger finger to drop magazines with no shift of their grip I have a hard time "getting" your predicament. But, it's your gun and I hope you find what you want.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:59 PM

Like I said, twice before, I may be too picky but that is just something that I would want.