1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 10-29-2001, 11:16 AM

trying to decidecdp or champion

i am in the market for a new 1911. i am looking at a kimber cdp or a sa champion.but i am having concerns about the cdp. for example the aluminum frame and i have heard bad things about the night sites.plus i haven't heard much about their warranty.any kimber owners give me any info on these.i can't remeber the name of the cdp i am thinking about but it is the regular frame not the compact.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hulkmag:
i am in the market for a new 1911. i am looking at a kimber cdp or a sa champion.but i am having concerns about the cdp. for example the aluminum frame and i have heard bad things about the night sights.
I personally think the Kimber is a better product. Kimber has been having issues with their night sights losing glow but it seems like they have come out with a new generation of them. According to posts on this forum, Kimber's turn around for replacing dim sights has been about one week.

My buddy has a CDP full size. There are no issues with the Aluminum frame, except that it saves you some nice amount of weight without adding much to muzzle flip. SA also has an aluminum framed full size model number 9103. I have heard about no real issues with modern Aluminum frames on any guns. There are people out there that just don't like it if it isn't a heavy chunk of steel. I see no legitimate reason for it, but YMMV.

Kimber also makes a CDP pro carry or a regular pro carry that is the same design as the SA champion, but also with aluminum frame. If you wan't Kimber "CDP" like features with a steel frame, you would need to consider the Eclipse models. They are available in 5", 4", and 3" barrel lengths (Full, Pro, Ultra).

The issues I have seen on the SA forum have been fairly serious. I have seen catastrophic failures happening on stainless slides where the slide has literally cracked in half. That is freaking scary! SA says it is a bad batch of heat treated slides. Ouch! Plus, while there are lots of people on the SA forum who say their Customer Service is excellent, I have seen posts there where people don't get stuff back after 2 or 3 months.

I was considering a SA for purchase until I lurked on the forum for a month or two... Now, its either going to be another Kimber (I am seriously considering the CDP Full Size) or I might save up and get a Wilson (Protector LW) if I can wait that long...

[This message has been edited by Gun Nut (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-30-2001, 12:31 AM

Gun Nut,

Are you sure Kimber makes an Ultra Eclipse (3" barrel)? I can't find mention of it on the Kimber site. In my opinion, an Ultra Eclipse would be the perfect carry gun, in fact I'd just have to have one.

------------------
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."-- Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-30-2001, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug in Alaska:
Gun Nut,

Are you sure Kimber makes an Ultra Eclipse (3" barrel)? I can't find mention of it on the Kimber site. In my opinion, an Ultra Eclipse would be the perfect carry gun, in fact I'd just have to have one.

Dunno if Gun Nut is sure, but I am since I own one. Kimber has three Eclipse sizes, Custom, Pro, and Ultra. I have two Custom Eclipses and one Ultra. The Ultra is 899 in my area. One Hell of a deal.

And here is one now:
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...p?Item=2301451

[This message has been edited by AndABeer (edited 10-30-2001).]
Old 10-30-2001, 02:11 PM

i would like to see the eclipse but i have been unable to get on their site.it won't come up, if i could get on their site i might be able to pick another kimber but all i have is a brochure with the cdp's.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:39 PM

The only "drawback" (to me, at least) to the Eclipses is that they are all the II series (Kimber version of Colt 80 Series). They have no plans of marketing an Eclipse without the unnecessary firing pin safety.

Hence my decision to go with a stainless classic instead of the Eclipse this morning when I parted with my Pro-Carry (nothing wrong with it, I've just suddenly grown weary of aluminum frames with my increase amount of range time.)

As for commander sized, Kimber does make a steel framed Pro-Carry's... the HD or SLE variants. Both go for about $739 nib here. Solid guns, but considering the weight, I'd rather have the extra inch in barrel length.

Good luck with your quest, you can't really go wrong with any of the above posted options.

Pat

[This message has been edited by Arrowman (edited 10-30-2001).]
Old 10-30-2001, 07:19 PM

How could you not want this?

Kimber service Dept. has some issues with manners, but the guns have an acclaimed reputation for accuracy. I've put 2000 through this gun, no worries with the alloy frame. That is such an alarmist's myth!

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:16 PM

ANDABEER,

Thanks for the info. I found an Ultra Eclipse in a shop in Anchorage this morning. I love it! Just wondering if you have had any problems with the black oxide finish sticking to a leather holster.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2001, 11:36 PM

"Sticking" as in the black oxide wearing off? No.

"Sticking" as in the black oxide making it diffucult to draw? No.

For a half a minute it looked like the finish was wearing off but I rubbed this area with my finger a bit and it turned out that the holster was wearing off on the pistol. New pistol, new holster, I suspect that once both are worn in well, this will cease. Once I wiped the thing down with a light coat of oil it looked brand new.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:54 PM

ANDABEER,

Thanks again. Probably just a bunch of alarmists over on that Kimber Forum. I'm going with the Eclipse!
Old 10-31-2001, 12:30 AM

I suppose I should mention that my holster is a Kramer horsehide and maybe the black oxide would act different in a cowhide rig.