1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > LEO Duty

Old 07-28-2003, 11:29 AM

one handed malfunction clearance

For the first 7 or so years of my career I have always carried a various model of Glock that had a squared off rear sight. Performing one handed malfunction clearance drills, I most often times hooked the squared off rear sight on a edge of my holster, belt or boot sole.

I now have a Wilson CQB that has a Novak type sight that is not squared off and thus cannot be used to rack the slide as previously described. I have tried using the front sight and this has worked, but not great. Any ideas or how are others performing this?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-28-2003, 11:56 AM
In Memoriam

One Hand Immediate Action Drills

A couple years or so ago, Clint Smith had an article in one of the GUNS or AMERICAN HANDGUNNER annuals that covered this topic. The pistol he used in the illustrations was a Colt 1911 with Novak sights; one of the techniques shown, IIRC, was striking the top of the slide vigorously against his legin a forward motion.

Also, if your pistol is a full size 5" 1911 withOUT a FLGR, you can press the recoil spring plug against an immovable object and push downward to cycle the slide.

You can get hints off the internet, but the best way to learn this is to go to school.

Good luck,

Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas
Old 07-28-2003, 12:16 PM

There is also a way to clear one handed even if you do have a FLGR.

Using the outer edge of your duty holster, push the top part of the muzzle against the edge. Ensure that your finger is off the trigger.

Press down slightly to unlock the action. When you feel the action unlock, press the weapon downward with a single, swift stroke. This will cycle the slide.

This can also be done with the rear sight; the key is to angle the muzzle away from your body when pressing downward.

Note--doesn't work too well with non-reinforced holsters.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:00 PM

Location: Columbia, Missouri - Birthplace of IPSC, IDPA, and Bianchi Cup
The best way I would recommend would be to equip duty guns with the conventional GI-style spring guide and plug. Browning designed it so it could be cleared one-handed by a calvaryman. Even so, I've never felt comfortable doing one-handed drills against the rear sight (although they've never fallen off) . . . it's just that nagging feeling that it's loosening it up somehow. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

Andy
Old 07-30-2003, 10:10 PM

Either the front sight or the ejection port can be used to hook on holster, gun belt, sole of the shoe when kneeling, etc. to rack the slide. You'd think using the ejection port would cause malfuntions, but it works fine if you do it vigorously.

Until the day of his death, no man can be sure of his courage.- Jean Anoiulh
Old 08-03-2003, 01:40 AM

One handed malf. clearing

Just draw your back up and get to work.