1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 02:34 AM

Does Delta Force use night sights?

Hi. Maybe know one here knows...but, what do you think?
Does Delta Force use night sights on their pistols?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:06 AM

According to the book Inside Delta Force by CSM Haney, they train more for point shooting. With that in mind and the fact that things may have changed since he left, there is no telling.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus

From what I understand any Special Operations Teams that strike in the hours of darkness will have the Night Vision Goggles or other Night Vision Optics.

Look at like this, get a firearm with Night Sights stand in a room of total darkness and aim your firearm. What do you see, besides the Night Sights? Nothing. Now do the same thing with a high intensity flash light do your Night Sights help? Not really. If you get the chance try the same thing with Night Vision Optics you will see the the Night Sights are not that much of a factor as it was mentioned point and shoot.

Of course this was over 20 years ago since I was in the Army and things do change.

Life Member NRA, AZR&PA

Society would be safer when the criminal doesn't know who's armed
Old 07-07-2003, 05:47 PM

Night sights help a lot in limited light, when you have identified your target. White light (or NVG) let's you identify the target(s). Thus, in domestic law enforcement, night sights are excellent. Where DELTA goes, NVG are the better option.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:47 PM

Night Vision goggles only enhance light, or magnify it.

0 light times 20 powers magnification = 0 light still.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Night Vision scopes and binoculars are electro-optical devices that intensify (or amplify) existing light instead of relying on a light source of their own. The devices are sensitive to a broad spectrum of light, from visible through infrared. An accessory illuminator can increase the light available at the infrared end of the spectrum by casting a beam of light that is not visible to the human eye.

You do not look "through" a Night Vision product, you look at the amplified electronic image on a phosphor screen.

Life Member NRA, AZR&PA

Society would be safer when the criminal doesn't know who's armed
Old 07-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Banned

TC:
Thats correct

There are two types of NV.
Passive and active.

Passive uses existing light multplied from 20,000-75,000 times dependant on the particualr device and what "generation" it is.

Active uses infrared as it's own light source to "see" in the dark.
Active also allows anotehr with NV to see you "peeking" in the dark.

Passive does not suffer from this malady as active does. It may not be important but when others have NV, give me passive. Their light sources on active NV shine like flashlights in the night to my passive system which is an ANPVS-4 second generation US NV system.

Mine is set up for one of the M14's [ M1A's ] I own. It has a second switch which superimposes a cross hair reticle mated to the .308 load.

The PVS-4 at night will be good on human targets out to about 300 yds in the dark on a good night.

Also, my passive system on the PVS-4 has never not worked for lack of light outdoors. There is always some ambient light of the clouds, one star, etc.

I used to use mine for surveillance at night with a camera adapter and camera attached for photos. The PVS-4's "gain" is 50,000 times the existing light source. You actually have to turn it down some most nights as it is very bright through the tube with the gain of 50,000.

Brownie
Old 07-08-2003, 11:27 AM

I have a lot of experience with survellience at night. Up to Gen 2, a really good quality, large objective lens, pair of binoculars worked about as well for law enforcement. The Gen 3 and higher did surpass the high dollar binos.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:58 PM

Why would they not have nightsights as a backup to their nvg?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:30 PM

Their pistol is a backup to the rifle. Delta doesn't do a lot of pistol only work. Of course, being people who actually kill people for a living, I just bet they use stuff that works and don't care much for stuff that is superfluous. Read the post by TC again.
NRA Life Member
Old 07-08-2003, 06:57 PM

I don't think that is a plus for Spec ops. They pretty much know their pistol is in it's holster. Try your night sights in a dark room like you said. Who you gonna shoot? You don't know!! All you can see are your sights not who you are pointing the gun at. Get a flashlight and then your night sights don't mean as much. Got to have target identification.
NRA Life Member
Old 07-08-2003, 07:44 PM

in the book Blackhawk Down, there is a mention of a Delta guy looking at the tritium front sight on his CAR 15. I don't know, but I'd imagine if their rifles have 'em, so do their sidearms.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:42 PM

To each his own, but if I had to choose between night sites alone vs. plain sights and a Surefire light, Ill take the Surefire every time. Sometimes I'm in a place where I can't carry a pistol, but I'm never without a light and leatherman tool.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BillD
Their pistol is a backup to the rifle. Delta doesn't do a lot of pistol only work. Of course, being people who actually kill people for a living, I just bet they use stuff that works and don't care much for stuff that is superfluous. Read the post by TC again.
Yeah the whole military doesnt do a lot of pistol only work that wasnt the point.

I would also bet they use stuff that works, but considering how cheap nightsights are I have to admit being suprised they dont have them. The weapon light and total darkness point makes some sense but most of the time you wouldnt be in a situation with total darkness. It seems that lots of times it would be too dark to see the sights well but plenty light enough to identify an armed somone as not on your side.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marky Mark
To each his own, but if I had to choose between night sites alone vs. plain sights and a Surefire light, Ill take the Surefire every time. Sometimes I'm in a place where I can't carry a pistol, but I'm never without a light and leatherman tool.
I agree, to each his own, but given a choice, wether spending my own money or wether relying on the almost unlimited largesse of the federal government, Ill take both.

Last edited by Mus; 07-08-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Administrator

This thread is being closed upon request.

As happens so frequently, many people feed on rumors and speculation. There is no need to continue it.
Closed Thread