1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 07-05-2003, 09:59 PM

Full Size vs Commander which is better

Here is a question for those of you who have a Kobra Carry. Someone once said that the Commander is actually better balanced than a standard 1911.

Is this true for the Kobra Carry vs. the full size Kobra?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts..

Boxman
Old 07-05-2003, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

This will not help you in your decision what so ever but here goes.

I like the commander size gun for feel, balance, pointability and carry.

I like the full size gun for shootability, which means I shoot the five inch guns better but prefer the commander guns. Now this is me and does or may not apply to you. I am more accurate with the five inch guns, I can shoot faster with hotter loads. Actually my favorite to shoot is the Wilson Tactical Elite which is a five inch gun with a bull coned barrel. This design has a faster return to target for me than any other gun that is not ported.

I prefer the commander size bobtail for balance, pointability and carry if that makes any sense to you. I sometimes add a guide rod for the additional weight as I like the 200 grain plus p loads from Gold Dot for serious social occasions.

What I carry at work is another story as I am issued one and do not have a choice in that matter by the virtue of my other full time job.

Hope I have helped but please remember what works for me may not for you.

Terry Peters @ptpartner_tx www.pt-partners.com

Do your research you get what you pay for front end or back end.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:12 PM

me, too

I be's of no help, too, and agree with PT.

I'm quicker from shot to shot and target to target and am generally more accurate on a bullseye target with my 5". I don't give up much going to the 4.25's, but it's not negligible on a digital timer, maybe 10-15%. I think I point easier and quicker with the 5".

That said, I never carry a 5; it's always a Commander-sized or smaller. They hide easier and are more comfortable. If I stay with the "1911 Commander-sized" guns, my preference is the Kobra Carry--the bobtail actually does help.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:20 PM

There is no doubt about it for me. I've got every combination of sizes, but always preferred to shoot full-size. UNTIL I got my Kobra Carry! The commander barrel on top of the bobtail frame is absoultely the ultimate combination. I've never felt anything like it for ease of concealment, fit in the hand, and speed on target.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:43 PM

B:
As you can see, it really depends on what you like and how you intend to use it. I have carried a compact, a commander and a full size...and use them all. The commander kind of offers the best of both worlds and would probably be your best choice if you intend to use it for concealed carry as well as for range work.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the input folks. I understand that it really comes down to what someone wants. I'm looking for that one tool that will work extremenly well for any situation. The one you practice with until it is second nature.

So maybe I should have framed the question differently. If you can have any one you want, but only one, which is the best bet that won't compromise range work.

I'm beginning to move to AZH's line of thinking about the Kobra Carry.

It would be much simpler if we could just have one of each, but that's not going to happen. I'm still stuck on stainless or blue and ambi or not.

Thanks and keep the advice coming.

B
Old 07-06-2003, 11:45 PM

just my thoughts...

i have a 5 inch colt, 5 inch wilson CQB, 3 inch S-A, and a Kobra carry. if i could only keep one, the choice would be easy. it would be the Kobra carry. it does everything right! feels good, shoots good, looks good... you get the idea. the Kobra carry can hold its own at the range also( between the super trigger and the way the the gun fits my hand, i actually shoot a "little" better with the Kobra).

stainless or blue? mine is stainless, and i love it!

ambi or not? i prefer not to have an ambi-safety. the additional risk of brushing "off" the outside safety, outweighs the benefit of having it. i might reconsider this, if i were somewhat of an ambidextrous shooter. remember, this is only my uninformed personal preference<--- there are a zillion people who carry ambi's with no problems, so i would just consider if i thought i needed them, and felt comfortable with the safety on the outside of the gun.

whatever you decide, just make sure to buy the one that you "really want"! even if you have to wait another month or two. it means a lot to be completely satisfied that you have the "best weapon" for your needs
Old 07-08-2003, 06:09 AM

Re: just my thoughts...

Quote:
Originally posted by eraser
i have a 5 inch colt, 5 inch wilson CQB, 3 inch S-A, and a Kobra carry. if i could only keep one, the choice would be easy. it would be the Kobra carry. it does everything right! feels good, shoots good, looks good... you get the idea. the Kobra carry can hold its own at the range also( between the super trigger and the way the the gun fits my hand, i actually shoot a "little" better with the Kobra).

But maybe if you tried a full size Kobra or Class A Limited, you might like it even more than the Kobra carry.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:15 PM

Re: Re: just my thoughts...

Quote:
Originally posted by harrydog
But maybe if you tried a full size Kobra or Class A Limited, you might like it even more than the Kobra carry.
Harrydog, that's what "i'm afraid of"!!!!!!!!!

my next gun will be a full size Kobra, (stainless) with a bob-tail.
in the mean time, were you offering me a demo????? i would gladly accept