1911Forum banner

Speer 200gr +P GDHP in 3" Kimber

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MEH92 
#1 · (Edited)
I stayed after work last night and chronographed a box of Speer 200gr +P Gold Dot hollow points in my 3" Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II and 5" Les Baer Premier II. The range is indoors. Temperature was right around 70 degrees. Chronograph was 12 feet from the muzzle. The lot code on the ammo is 5402-01.

Velocities from 3" Kimber in order of firing:

1. 911 FPS
2. 896 "
3. 965 "
4. 898 "
5. 927 "
6. 1189 "
7. 934 "
8. 896 "
9. 927 "
10. 1141 "
11. 947 "

Velocities from 5" Baer

1. 996 FPS
2. 1035 "
3. 1052 "
4. 1054 "
5. 1045 "
6. 970 "
7. 1032 "
8. 1010 "
9. 998 "

I assumed that the shorter barrel would have more drastically affected the velocity. It seems that the shorter barrel produces much less consistant velocities, anyway. I was very surpirsed by the two 1100 + FPS rounds! The chronograph appeared to be functioning fine and was used for other testing that night with no apparant malfunctioning. The 1189 FPS round was one that I had chambered once before so I thought that bullet set-back might have been the culprit. Speer does not cannelure (sp?) their GDHP's. I tested one round by chambering it 4 times and then firing it. It was the 11th round in the Kimber and only produced a velocity of 947 FPS. Interesting. Maybe the two excessively high reading were somehow my fault. I'm no chronograph expert... I just followed the instruction sheet.

This is a reasonably controllable and accurate round in my 3" barreled, aluminum framed Ultra CDP II. I have 60 rounds of this particular ammo through it so far with no malfunctions, consistant ejections, and POA/POI accuracy at 60 feet. The only thing I'd recommed to anyone carrying this round is to install Wolffe's extra-power spring set. The Kimber tech advised the same.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd like to respectfully suggest that you repeat your test with the chrono screens much further from the muzzle of the pistol. Ionized gases in the muzzle blast can give false readings. I think it would be wise to back up five feet or so.

If not, you have something seriously wrong with your pistol or your ammo. Factory ammo shouldn't deviate more than 30 or 40 fps.

#3 ·
nemesis,

Thank you for your correction. I have editted the original post. I meant to say that the chronograph was 12 FEET from the muzzle, not 12 inches. My bad.

I'm still very surprised by the two high readings. I'm going to test some Olin 230 FMJ Match ammo soon and see if the same extreme spreads pop up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.