1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-19-2003, 09:25 PM

How bad are gun cleaning solvents for you?

I got yelled at by the missus when I went to bed last night regarding the solvent smell on my hands. I washed them **SEVERAL** times, but the smell was still there. Then, she started in on me about solvent in my system, cancer.....you know the drill.

How bad is solvent anyway?
Old 05-19-2003, 09:31 PM

Nothin' beats the smell of Hoppe's in the morning!

I don't think anything is really wrong as long as you use them in a well ventilated area.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:49 PM

Use MPro7. It's the best stuff out there plus it is safe and oderless!
http://www.mp7.com/NCompetative.htm
Old 05-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Banned

Breakfree CLP.

Best. Solvent. Ever.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:16 PM

After using MPro7, you will hate the old
technology stinky cleaners. I still use brake
cleaner to remove the MPro7.

Lanyard.

Old 05-20-2003, 05:52 AM

I see Breakfree has LP without the solvent. Has anyone had any experience with it.

VF-40

Last edited by VF-40; 05-26-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:37 AM

How bad are solvents for you anyway? That all depends. What specific solvents are you talking about?

Brake cleaner, for example, is a strong concinogen that you don't want to breath or get in contact with your skin.

Many, like brake cleaner, are transdermal and will pass from your skin and into your body and circulate via the bloodstream.

If you have solvent on your hands and you can smell it after several washings, then you know that the fluid has permeated your skin to the point that soak is not removing it. That can happen with a lot of fluids, not just solvents, but you get the idea that the solvent isn't just simply on your skin.

Instead of asking up here how bad solvents are, why not take the various products in question and read the warning labels? Find the contents or chemical names and do a search for them on the internet.

How bad are solvents anyway? Well, one way to look at the issue would be to look at how they can be disposed of properly. I think you will find that most solvents and many petrol products fall under the guise of toxic waste.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Exposure to gun cleaning products can have some significant side effects. Exposure can stimulate the portion of the brain that causes one to be skeptical of blathering news anchors, newspaper writers, and liberal politicians. In extreme cases, the person so exposed starts losing interest in the safe, socially-mandated practice of sitting passively in front of the televisor and, instead, goes to range, loads ammo, or dry-practices. Some even go so far as to curl up with a good book!

Exposure can also manifest itself in a preference for red meat and potatoes and a distaste for tofu, yogurt, bean sprouts, and other such rabbit food.

Many of the exposed lose patience with the mindless prattle of the sheep-like masses and start socializing primarily with other persons who suffer from gun-cleaning product exposure.

Dangerous indeed!

Rosco
Old 05-20-2003, 09:43 AM

if ur getting that much on ur hands ur probably overdoing it.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:19 PM

i usally inhale the stuff..and look at me!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:11 PM

Anyone wear disposable gloves while cleaning their gun to avoid contact with the solvents ??
Old 05-20-2003, 02:17 PM

Strong solvents, when the fumes are breathed in, will disolve your lung tissues.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:26 PM

Re: How bad are gun cleaning solvents for you?

Quote:
Originally posted by fremont
I got yelled at by the missus when I went to bed last night regarding the solvent smell on my hands. I washed them **SEVERAL** times, but the smell was still there. Then, she started in on me about solvent in my system, cancer.....you know the drill.

How bad is solvent anyway?
It will probably add years to your life if you use enough because it will make your wife leave you and then you can focus on the things that really make a man happy (shooting guns).

If you want a stinkless cleaner that will silence the sposal unit, MPRO7 is very good and odor free.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:27 PM

A sample of one person is not a reason to believe that solvents or smoking is ok.

For everybody who smokes and eats red meat into their 90's, I can give you three who died of a stroke or lung cancer in their 30's and 40's.

Living is dangerous enough, try to limit your exposure to any of the gun scrubber type products, these indeed to cause cancer. I do often wear surgical gloves when cleaning my guns. I also wear a $30 3M respirator when shooting at indoor ranges.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Real Hawkeye
Strong solvents, when the fumes are breathed in, will disolve your lung tissues.
NOPE. I painted cars for years and breathed enough lacquer thinner fumes to stone out everybody at Woodstock. The fumes can be an irritant and it bothers some people more than others, but they don't "dissolve" any part of your body. Brain damage is a possibility if you sniff them for recreation.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:36 PM

The warnings on those solvent containers are there for a reason.

However, a few simple precautions can reduce the danger substantially. Use disposable gloves and a respirator rated for organic solvents. Make sure that you use the solvents only in areas with very good ventilation. And, be careful about disposal of solvent soaked patches and rags.

Many solvents will penetrate the disposable gloves to some extent, so it's a good idea to wash your hands thoroughly after using them.

We've got the Shield of Abraham (and the protection of Moses - John MOSES Browning).
Old 05-20-2003, 05:02 PM

Yes, it is true that there may be other things that are more dangerous to you than the occasional contact with and breathing in of solvents, such as auto accidents. Just because there are things that are more dangerous does not mean that one should not worry about the effects. DHMeieio, I understand your point, but the reality is that few people will ever redouble their efforts in car safety as opposed to spending the same effort on safely handling chemicals such as solvents. So a lot of folks will still be lax in the handling of chemicals and go about their business thinking to themselves that they are at more risk of injury in an autowreck and therefore blow off the risk posed by chemicals.

Where things get particularly troublesome is when a given individual has some sort of inability to deal with the solvents in their system. This may be due to a genetic predisposition, combined effects of multiple chemical insults (not just one type of solvent, but several), or even drug interactions where a medication you are taking somehow affects the body's ability to deal with the solvent insult.

Sort of like with lead poisoning or mechanical hearing loss, the process can be slow and the effects happen over a long period of time before getting to be really detrimental. Often, such effects occur so slowly that folks are apt not to associate the cause with the effect and hence don't do anything to correct it. Because they don't correct it and don't understand it, it just gets worse.

These days, with all the stuff known to help germinate cancer in the human body, do we really want to voluntarily introduce that many more like solvents?
Old 05-20-2003, 05:51 PM

Toxicology axiom No. 1: there are no toxic compounds, only toxic levels. If you shoot every night at an indoor range, then go at the gun with break cleaner when you get home, I'd guess your exposure might be of some significance. Once a week? Every two weeks? I'm not worried...
Old 05-20-2003, 08:46 PM

To heck with me

I'm worried more about my gun, no solvents touch my toys. Maybe my Marine Corp training stuck a little to well, but CLP and a nylon brush is all I clean with- solvents is for weenies and squids .

-April 19, 1775 Orders to the militia from Captain John Parker, commander of the seventy colonial minutemen who met more than seven hundred British troops under the command of General Thomas Gage at the Villiage Green, Lexington
Old 05-20-2003, 11:43 PM

I use either Hoppe's or Gunscrubber to clean mine. I clean them in a well ventilated area and usually use rubber gloves. I don't know how bad the solvents really are, but I know they can't be any good for you either.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:09 AM

I agree with Roscoe Benson.

Common sense tells me using Kleenbore Copper Cutter, out on my deck is a whole bunch healthier than being couped up indoors where dustmites and allergens have deposited themselves in my HVAC ducts. Especially if I have done something stupid like turn on the idiot box and some blathering liberal idiot is mouthing off.

Then again, your supposed to clean 'em? OOPs, I just read the part about shooting them...

Does hot soap and water count...I mean I needed to get the mud and stuff off ...didn't want to dirty the holster you know.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:31 PM

I wouldn't worry about toxicity unless you are getting your hands saturated every other day. Just take the general precautions some have already mentioned.

Many supermarket gloves are not solvent resistant. Perhaps the best are the nitrile type which you might find at an auto parts store, other industry speciality dealer or on the web.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:07 PM

Now that medical glove use is strictly the latex-free varieties, there is a glut of latex gloves available for short money. If you're not allergic to latex, it's a cheap way to protect yourself while cleaning your guns. Been doing it for years. I've never seen a firearm with a latex allergy.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:37 PM

Some people may find it odd, but when ever I'm cleaning my guns, I always wear Latex gloves -- and throw them out once I'm done. Also, wash my hands before and after cleaning.