1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM

Bull barrels and recoil springs

You guys with the bull barrels, where are you getting your springs? Or do you have to cut them? On my 10mm Tac2, I've shot close to 150 rounds of 180 gr Remington's and the slide just sounds sloppy loose. Brass being thrown about 20 ft. From what I've read here, courtesy of Mity2, I need to go up on my spring. I've got a pack of Wollf springs for a Colt 1911 and the 20lb spring dwarfs the so-called 20lb spring of the RI. Not to mention it is a good 1+1/2" longer. I was going to put the 22 lber in but wanted to know if I have to cut them. Is there a specified spring length I need to be aware of? I'd just about bet the Wollf 20lb spring would be sufficient if it was the proper length. Thanks for any and all info. Steve
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhopper View Post
You guys with the bull barrels, where are you getting your springs? Or do you have to cut them? On my 10mm Tac2, I've shot close to 150 rounds of 180 gr Remington's and the slide just sounds sloppy loose. Brass being thrown about 20 ft. From what I've read here, courtesy of Mity2, I need to go up on my spring. I've got a pack of Wollf springs for a Colt 1911 and the 20lb spring dwarfs the so-called 20lb spring of the RI. Not to mention it is a good 1+1/2" longer. I was going to put the 22 lber in but wanted to know if I have to cut them. Is there a specified spring length I need to be aware of? I'd just about bet the Wollf 20lb spring would be sufficient if it was the proper length. Thanks for any and all info. Steve
New spring being MUCH longer is perfectly normal.
When I got new spring for my CS, it was almost the X2 the length.
Your spring is shorter, because its on its last leg
Now, man handle that new spring in there
Old 02-16-2014, 05:42 PM

Hey Mity. Felt like it would coil-bind. I could fairly easy compress the RI spring but no way in heck would either 20 or 22 lb Wollf spring compress. Maybe you can shed your secret. My reverse plug went flying until I figured I'd better go into a closed room with something firm to push down on. Steve
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 PM

I don't know what to tell you, other than every replacement recoil spring that I got for my RIA guns were a lot longer than one it replaced.
It seems like it won't go, but in the end, it did.

When I got replacement(I got mine from Armscor), Phil even said that you'd think its not gonna go in, but it will(Took some doing tho. I think I used socket wrench to aid me compress the reverse plug long enough to put the paper clip in the place to hold it in there)

Are you sure that one that is on your gun is 20lb? Because it could have been the lighter one they were sending some of their 10mm with(which would explain why it feels so much easier to compress)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM

Ok. I managed to get the Wollf 20 lb spring in. Lost the reverse plug for about 30 min. Got it all back together. Sounds and feels like coil bind. Sound meaning when it almost gets back to the slide stop notch, it sounds bad. It almost can't be pulled back to the stop notch.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:40 PM

Check and make sure that your reverse plug isn't damaged(Mine got damaged, and made the sound like coil was binding).

You should call Phil at Armscor. When you order spring from them, they send you a replacement, which is Wolff spring.
Ask them what part number wolff they sell. Hopefully. its the same as one you got.

Also, can you post pic with spring in the gun(remove the slide from frame, obviously)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mity2 View Post
I don't know what to tell you, other than every replacement recoil spring that I got for my RIA guns were a lot longer than one it replaced.
It seems like it won't go, but in the end, it did.

When I got replacement(I got mine from Armscor), Phil even said that you'd think its not gonna go in, but it will(Took some doing tho. I think I used socket wrench to aid me compress the reverse plug long enough to put the paper clip in the place to hold it in there)

Are you sure that one that is on your gun is 20lb? Because it could have been the lighter one they were sending some of their 10mm with(which would explain why it feels so much easier to compress)
I was just going by what Armscor support guy told me when I gave him my serial#. He said it had the 20 lb in it. I got the Wollf spring in it and will try it tomorrow. Boy, that was fun. Thanks for the input. The reverse plug wasn't exactly seated properly. Steve
Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I was just going by what Armscor support guy told me when I gave him my serial#. He said it had the 20 lb in it. I got the Wollf spring in it and will try it tomorrow. Boy, that was fun. Thanks for the input. The reverse plug wasn't exactly seated properly. Steve
So everything is good now?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 PM

The plug did have a spot where it wasn't seated quiet right. I smoothed it with a bastard file helped with the noise. I'll order a new plug and call Phil tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:46 PM

It's back together. I think alls good. Thanks for input and help.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
It's back together. I think alls good. Thanks for input and help.
Good! Keep us posted how new spring works out

I imagine slide is much harder to pull back now?

Before you order a new plug from Armscor, you may want to consider ordering something better.
Seems that I read more than several post regarding how reverse plug failing on people.
Mine failed too on both CS and 10mm.
I bought brilay's plug for both of my guns, and never looked back
They are machined from Stainless bar stock, and you can get them with barrel support(I got one for 10mm. I went with no barrel support on my CS).

Only thing suck about them is that the they do require a fitting

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=442649

Mine is out at gunsmith to chop off the barrel, so that it can be flush with slide and plug(and gets re-crown)

Last edited by mity2; 02-16-2014 at 06:55 PM.