1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Zastava M83 Reveiws- Anyone try one?

So, Cabelas:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/ZASTA...ER/1776332.uts

is offering "Zastava M83 .357 Mags" in 4" for $299.

I've searched the net and found very little in the way of actual owner reports on these. Interested to hear
FROM THOSE WHO HAVE SHOT OR FIRED ONE OR HANDLED ONE....

If your comment on this thread is going to be "buy a smith" or "I like Taurus'es" or "my pants are blue" then don't bother. Let's keep this to comments of those who have handled a Zastava Revolver variant please.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:22 PM

I was looking at these too. Not a lot of information out there on there from what I can find.

Rifles
AR mutt(home-built), 10/22(Promag Stock), Winchester Model 63, Mosin 91/30
Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 PM

I've never seen one in person, so I guess I'm not allowed to say anything according to your rules, but in case you care there are at least a couple of reviews of these revolvers on youtube. Might give you some info.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ontheslide View Post
I've never seen one in person, so I guess I'm not allowed to say anything according to your rules, but in case you care there are at least a couple of reviews of these revolvers on youtube. Might give you some info.
YouTube offerings were very limited when I looked earlier today. Didn't get a whole lot from them. I have a friend in DFW that may pick one up from the Cabelas over in Ft. Worth. I'll post up his findings if that happens.

Rifles
Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFubar View Post
YouTube offerings were very limited when I looked earlier today. Didn't get a whole lot from them. I have a friend in DFW that may pick one up from the Cabelas over in Ft. Worth. I'll post up his findings if that happens.
Never even heard of them until today so please do post if your friend gets one.

The more I'm around people, the more I love my dog. And she annoys the hell out of me sometimes! AIW
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Never even heard of them until today so please do post if your friend gets one.
Talked to my friend last night. He went by Cabelas to look one of these over. Fit and finish seemed acceptable for a $300 steel revolver. He said the DA pull was extremely heavy, even for a revolver (he's an admitted revolver-guy) and the SA pull was heavier than he expected. Don't know if he's going to pick one of these up or not. If so, I'll get a range report from him.

Rifles
Old 02-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFubar View Post
Talked to my friend last night. He went by Cabelas to look one of these over. Fit and finish seemed acceptable for a $300 steel revolver. He said the DA pull was extremely heavy, even for a revolver (he's an admitted revolver-guy) and the SA pull was heavier than he expected. Don't know if he's going to pick one of these up or not. If so, I'll get a range report from him.
Thanks. Probably a solid gun, but not much on finesse if like the way Zastava builds their AK types.

The more I'm around people, the more I love my dog. And she annoys the hell out of me sometimes! AIW
Old 02-11-2014, 10:37 PM

Got one on Saturday, shot it on Sunday, hard to pull and mine shoots to the left (4ins@50yards and 5" high) when I get that fixed it will be nice
Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 PM

Put 30- 38s and 30 - 357s thru it, Shot every time, still a tough trigger pull, but well worth the 299. @ 50 yards it was 4in left and 6 high.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMark View Post
Got one on Saturday, shot it on Sunday, hard to pull and mine shoots to the left (4ins@50yards and 5" high) when I get that fixed it will be nice
What size group? And what type of target, NRA B-3, B-6, B-27. I do not see too many folks shooting handguns at 50 yards.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:01 PM

Appreciate the update.

That's old school. Shoot out a bit and use Kentucky Windage and Tennessee Elevation to hit what you're shooting at. Try different loads and you might find one that's closer to POA/POI. Regardless that's not to bad off for the distance. As long as it grouped reasonable. If the trigger ever smooths out and lightens a little it might change where it's hitting a little. As there is probably some effect because of what it's taking to pull the trigger through.

I remember when 25 yards was considered the basic distance to shoot handguns in general and that 7 yard stuff was looked at funny. No one got excited over a being on target or just grouping at that distance. It was expected.

The General Patton matches we shot at Division level competition was shot at 50 yards with arms room issued 1911s and later the M9. When I shot NRA Hunter Pistol and Smallbore Hunter Pistol we shot standing out to 100 meters. (25/50/75/100 meter targets)

But yeah. You don't see folks shooting handguns at 50 yards... These days.

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 02-14-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:18 PM

I saw those in the ad, and was curious. Recently got my first 357, a dan wesson 8", but too nice for anything but the range.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che View Post
What size group? And what type of target, NRA B-3, B-6, B-27. I do not see too many folks shooting handguns at 50 yards.
Sorry, one,two inch groups.We where getting a Ruger American 22mag zeroed in when I pulled it out. Target was 3in PVC pipe 6ins tall with 10 square steel plate behind it, it was more like 40y when we step up to it.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Yes, They are not pretty but tough made - its like the difference in an F-15 and a Mig - 29
Mine was still in the box from 1992 - so I took it apart for cleaning and de-rusting - mistake as one of the springs went "Sproing" across the room - I hope I can find it. THe trigger must have a 8 pound pull. but it is not for competition anyway.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 PM

A close family friend of mine has one that I have shot , he had it about 2-3 months, shot nothing but .38 out of it then I was with him at the range shooting .357 out of it and it ran 6 rounds and after that the hammer could not be cocked and when pulling the trigger the hammer would not move, making the gun completely inoperable, he had the LGS gunsmith look at it and he seemed puzzled but he left it there to be repaired, I wasn't a fan of the sights they suck and it shot high and the trigger is horrible, when you buy a revolver for under $400 and its by a company you have never heard of and then for it to fail like that well I definately wouldn't trust my life to it or use it for home defense...