Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 PM

magpul 1911 grips

just FYI

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...nels&groupid=6
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Nice price, but in my opinion that mag catch relief is overkill.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Nice price, but in my opinion that mag catch relief is overkill.

Agreed, it sure does take away from the grip itself
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 11-16-2013, 12:46 AM

Nice grips. Great price. But with a chunk missing they're not going on my 1911. I wonder if they make a plain version along with the tacticool version.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 AM

Agreed with all the above. While I like magpul stuff I certainly won't be buying those
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 PM

i know, they also could have came up with a better texture design. it looks for formal than aggressive...imo
Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 AM

I'll just keep my RAASCOs. They look 100% better than the Magpuls IMHO.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Magpul is like any other manufacturer in that they continually try to expand their product line, but as they are mostly known for their AR components made from polymers I think it's going to be a harder sell doing the same with 1911s. They could probably offer polymer replacement sights, mainspring housings, and triggers, but we all know just how popular plastic parts are on a 1911. Regarding grips, everybody makes a set so theirs needs to do something the others don't. Having a huge flat landing strip for your thumb doesn't sound like the brightest idea however.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:04 PM

Well I was at the local police supply this week picking up a Glock 30S and they had the Magpul grips for $13.95. I bought a pair and put them on my backup Commander, primary is off getting sight work done. While I agree the mag scoop could be smaller the texture is just about right IMHO. Overall when my primary Commander gets back these are probably going on it for carry. I think the thing that I find best about the grips is the thickness, they just feel right to me. I did put two magazines through the pistol with the grips and to me they work.

Pray for our Soldiers as you pass that Church...
Proud Father of a Cav Trooper...
Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 PM

I think I"ll stick with VZ for composites and OEM Colt/Esmeralda for wood.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM

If I was gonna go out of my way to buy plastic grips I'd buy some of the Springfield Mil-Spec grips that look like black G.I. grips. They work about as well as a 1911 grip needs to and they're not something you'd really notice.

Last edited by samuse; 11-17-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Well I was at the local police supply this week picking up a Glock 30S and they had the Magpul grips for $13.95. I bought a pair and put them on my backup Commander, primary is off getting sight work done. While I agree the mag scoop could be smaller the texture is just about right IMHO. Overall when my primary Commander gets back these are probably going on it for carry. I think the thing that I find best about the grips is the thickness, they just feel right to me. I did put two magazines through the pistol with the grips and to me they work.
Can you post a picture of your grips, I saw online two different type of patterns.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:28 PM

A lot of people will buy them simply because they are made by Magpul....the price is right though

Patrick Henry
Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmp95b View Post
Can you post a picture of your grips, I saw online two different type of patterns.
where did you see 2 types of patterns? i could only find one...i doubt it would be better than my black colt rubber factory grips hehe
Old 11-18-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I'll take a couple of pictures this afternoon if I get home before the sun goes down.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 AM

I prefer VZ.

You can have them cut however you want them, and they make them thick, slim, beveled, magwell, no thumb relief, notch, idiotic deep relief, and for whatever safety you may have on the gun. They also make them for officers and CCOs.

I have VZs on all of my 1911s. They make textures for competition, carry, and even have wood grips.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Kind of dark out but here are some inside pictures, not the best but it will give you an idea...

Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 PM

they got rid of that cut out I might consider them. I've always been amazed how durable their stuff is
Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMsailor View Post
where did you see 2 types of patterns? i could only find one...i doubt it would be better than my black colt rubber factory grips hehe
I saw this one that looks like the magpul logo then I saw another that looked like just little dots. Here it is