1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 11-03-2013, 01:08 PM

does Sig use MIM parts in their 1911's?

If sign does use MIM parts does anyone have a list of what parts they are?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Who cares?

If you want something to worry about just realize that the sun could have exploded 7 minutes ago and you will be dead within the next minute when the plasma gets here.

Last edited by Glenn-SC; 11-03-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Sig MIM uses fairy dust and is stronger than steel. But to answer your question, nearly every small part is MIM
Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Sorry call it gun shy from an ex kimber owner and I had the MIM Mag release button break twice! Not to put sig in the same catagory as kimber but they did or do make crap MIM parts. This will be one of my off duty carry guns and don't mind the expense of swapping out a couple parts to make it ball bat reliable. If it was just going to be a range gun it wouldn't be an issue. But back to my original question does anyone have a list on the parts?
Old 11-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn-SC View Post
Who cares?

If you want something to worry about just realize that the sun could have exploded 7 minutes ago and you will be dead within the next minute when the plasma gets here.
And it would be me who cares because I asked the question. Its not to bash sig in any way. I have a DW CBOB that has no MIM but to be fare it was double the price of the sign. If you have never ran your guns hard enough to break parts then I understand your reason behind your answer but I just don't punch paper with mine then set it in the safe. 400-600rd handgun courses will let you know where your week parts are!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

It would be shorter to list what isn't MIM. The hammer, plunger tube, frame, slide, barrel, probably the pins and sometimes the sear depending on when you bought the gun are NOTMIM.

Almost all the small parts are MIM or cast.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:19 PM

I haven't seen many posts about Sigs breaking parts. I guess the process of MIM parts could have greatlyimproved over the last 8yrs or so. That's when I bought my kimber and like I said I broke the Mag release button twice in less than 500rds. That has made me very weaery abot them. I know I may just be over thinking it but that happening on my carry gun really freaked me out. Seems like a very solid gun so far. Maybe I will see what happens in the first 1k rounds and go from there. Thanks guys for the replies
Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM

Then why not just buy a gun that does not use MIM???
Old 11-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
Then why not just buy a gun that does not use MIM???

I have a gun without MIM parts see Dan Wesson CBOB as stated above... thanks for you're contribution to the thread!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1979gm View Post
Its not to bash sig in any way.
Somehow I doubt that.

Quote:
I have a DW CBOB that has no MIM but to be fare it was double the price of the sign.
Good, then why not just stick with your Wesson?

Quote:
If you have never ran your guns hard enough to break parts then I understand your reason behind your answer but I just don't punch paper with mine then set it in the safe.
So if you "run your guns hard" they break! Really? Just MIM parts or all parts?
While I may be the only one shooting .22LR in my .45s (just to be gentle on them before I put them back on their silk pillows in my climate controlled gun safe (they like Bach background music BTW)), I have not seen any higher reported occurrences of MIM parts breakage than parts manufactured by any other method.

Last edited by Glenn-SC; 11-03-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1979gm View Post
I have a gun without MIM parts see Dan Wesson CBOB as stated above... thanks for you're contribution to the thread!
Then maybe you should have stuck with DW instead of buying a lesser gun that you feel needs an upgrade...
Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
Then maybe you should have stuck with DW instead of buying a lesser gun that you feel needs an upgrade...

It was half the price of my DW so I don't expect the same level of parts and overall fit and finish. But for half the price it seems to be a damn good gun. And for the price I don't expect a full custom gun. I think its a great value for what you get. I've just personally had a bad experience with MIM parts not Sig. At $800 I don't mind putting $100-200 worth of parts in it if need be to be where "I" would like it. Somewhere this thread went wrong like I'm not happy with my sig? I think for the money its an amazing gun so far. I will reserve full judgment for the 600rd + mark. Once again just wanted some basic info so I could make an informed decision on what parts "I" wanted to change YMMV. Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn-SC View Post
Somehow I doubt that.

Good, then why not just stick with your Wesson?

So if you "run your guns hard" they break! Really? Just MIM parts or all parts?
While I may be the only one shooting .22LR in my .45s (just to be gentle on them before I put them back on their silk pillows in my climate controlled gun safe (they like Bach background music BTW)), I have not seen any higher reported occurrences of MIM parts breakage than parts manufactured by any other method.
Actually I've had more than MIM parts break. The kimber broke MIM Mag release twice. Glock 22 broke front left slide lug on the frame in a 2 day handgun course. Glock 19 broke front take down spring in a 1 day training class. So yes more than MIM parts break. Even my bullet proof flocks have broke with non MIM parts. I've broke a colt AR15 bolt just punching paper at the range. Parts do break even in quality firearms. I just try to do my part on maintenance and up keep to minimize it as best I can. I'm an LEO and carry a gun on and off duty and I try to do my part to make sure that piece of equipment will work if ever needed in an emergency. We all know Mr Murphy. That is all not bashing sig. My p239 has been perfect in the 9+yrs I have owned it.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:32 PM

Two months and 800 rounds, this SIG has been run hard and nothing has broken. MIM parts can be just as strong or stronger. It all comes down to the manufacturing processes. Done right...works great. Done wrong...not so much. The frustrating thing for owners/operators is not knowing if their particular MIM parts were done right. Having said that, after a few hundred rounds I would suspect anything weak will have broken if it ever will and you can rest easy.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGLars View Post
Two months and 800 rounds, this SIG has been run hard and nothing has broken. MIM parts can be just as strong or stronger. It all comes down to the manufacturing processes. Done right...works great. Done wrong...not so much. The frustrating thing for owners/operators is not knowing if their particular MIM parts were done right. Having said that, after a few hundred rounds I would suspect anything weak will have broken if it ever will and you can rest easy.
Thank you for the reply! That makes sense. The Mag release that broke on me was within 100rds the first time and about 300rds later. And it was a non stressed part. I think I will follower your advise. I will go a couple hundred more rounds and if all is well call it good. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 PM

From the research I have done the only MIM parts on a Sig 1911 are the slide stop and the disconnector. Both can be changed fairly quickly. I replaced the slide stop because I was having problems with the slide not locking back on the last round and that solved the problem.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdefense View Post
From the research I have done the only MIM parts on a Sig 1911 are the slide stop and the disconnector. Both can be changed fairly quickly. I replaced the slide stop because I was having problems with the slide not locking back on the last round and that solved the problem.
See my post above. The Sig 1911 is chock full of MIM now.

There was a time when it didn't have any MIM parts at all. That time has come and gone.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:18 PM

I just got a new Ultra a few weeks ago and I know I am over 500 rounds through it and nothing has broke. The only think I have noticed is that the factory mags don't like to feed HP's.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 PM

Grubby----------------I've noticed the same thing with the factory mags that came with my SS SIG Carry.

Do quality after market mags (i.e. Wilson) give better results?

Anyone?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 PM

I can not speak for the sig but they do (have done) in every other 1911 I have
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger566 View Post
Grubby----------------I've noticed the same thing with the factory mags that came with my SS SIG Carry.

Anyone?
Mine is a few years old now and came with Act Mags, which are pretty good. It would not feed the Ranger HP or one of the real stubby ones (I forget that brand). I've since switched to Wilson 47d's and the gun feeds everything.

Regarding the MIM debate above: my gun is over 8k rounds with no part failures, but as noted is five years old so may have fewer MIM parts. For those that say just buy a gun that uses no MIM, they're pretty hard to come by and none that I can think of close to the Sig's price. With the exception of the beavertail, you could replace all the MIM on the Sig, not have to refinish the gun, and still be under the price of many high end guns.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:55 PM

I just happened to buy a 6 round Colt mag at the same time I picked up my Sig and as it turns out, it runs every thing I put in it. I am going to try the higher mag catch that another member posted about on the Happy Ultra thread, It should be here late this week early next, I will post how it does. It looks like raising the mag in the well will fix the feeding problems, I noticed that when I put my pinky under the factory mag and apply pressure it feeds no problem with HP's and FP's, but without the pressure it only feeds ball ammo.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger566 View Post

Anyone?
They have a lot bigger issues contributing to poor feeding than magazines
Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 AM

Grubby and DJ...............thx for the input. Appreciate it.

Dennis-----sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. Brain f*rt.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Custom2----OK, I'm here to learn.

Fire away....................