1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 AM
rebs rebs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 119
45 acp target load ?




4.2 of bullseye is an accuracy load for 200 gr lswc in 45acp, right ?
Is there a standard known accuracy load for the same using other powders, such as Unique or W231 ? Are any of these powders any cleaner than the others ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 AM
loki*hunter loki*hunter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
I find that WST is an incredible powder with lead bullets.....especially the molly coated lead bullets from Precision Black Bullets. I shot 4.2 grains of WST behind a 230 LFN....that would be a great starting point for a 200 grain lswc. It shoots clean (especially when you push it) and it is really cheap as you are usually using 5 grains or less per charge.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 PM
bigggbbruce bigggbbruce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,590
I shoot Berry's 230gr RN.. Unique 5.6gr.(Max listed 6.0gr)..nice recoil, accurate for me..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM
KneeShot KneeShot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki*hunter View Post
I find that WST is an incredible powder with lead bullets.....especially the molly coated lead bullets from Precision Black Bullets. I shot 4.2 grains of WST behind a 230 LFN....that would be a great starting point for a 200 grain lswc. It shoots clean (especially when you push it) and it is really cheap as you are usually using 5 grains or less per charge.
Loki hunter, I have been experimenting with this load with the OP's. powder and charge weight. 4.2 Bullseye and your Precision black bullets 230 RFN.
The combo is very accurate at 75' off a rest.

My question to you is - do you experience any fouling of the barrel using WST with those bullets? Any Smoke?

With the load described above I experience "light - moderate" coating/barrel fouling, and light smoke.

Prior to testing to the load, I soaked and cleaned the barrel 2x w Gun Slick. It is a 5" Match 1911 barrel.

I know Precision recommends powders that are slower then Bullseye...like WST. Thanks in advance for any further input.

OP - not trying to highjack your thread, this info may give you a very accurate target load...w/ the load data I used I put 20/21 rounds in a 5.5" bull at 75' off of my range bag.

KT
__________________
It is what it is.

I like my polymers but I love my 1911!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 PM
rebs rebs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 119
It great that you asked that question as I would have also if you hadn't. A guy can never get enough knowledge from experienced shooters.
The only powders I have on hand are bullseye, unique and W231.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2013, 02:39 PM
learjet56 learjet56 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 206
My most accurate 200g lswc loads are

3.8 g BE, MB IDP#1 200g LSWC, 1.242 OAL
3.9 g Clays MB IDP#1 200g LSWC 1.242 OAL
Both are capable of 1.5 in groups at 25 yards from a rest if I can do my part.
I favor clays powder though, it seems to produce less smoke for me.
These are light loads, very mild recoil,
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2013, 03:11 PM
al45 al45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 362
[QUOTE=loki*hunter;4749141]I find that WST is an incredible powder with lead bullets..... I shot 4.2 grains of WST behind a 230 LFN....that would be a great starting point for a 200 grain lswc. QUOTE]

Agreed, 4.3 WST behind a H&G 68bb does under 2" @ 50 yards from my ransom rest with all 3 of my Kart barreled match guns.
Al
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Big Pete10 Big Pete10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 462
4.2 of Bullseye or WST are good loads with the 200 SWC. Cast bullets are pretty dirty due to the bullet lube. Unique or 231 work well in the 45 but I have to load heavier to get accuracy. Any of the fast powders work better for target loads in my experience. Medium powders for full power loads.
Also the 4.2 of BE or WST will operate the 1911 with the standard spring, in case you want to run some hardball in the gun.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Popspastime Popspastime is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 119
I've been shooting the Bullseye (3000 Rounds) at 4.0 under a 200 grn. rn and it's accurate and has very light recoil. I'm working with the Unique right now (1000 Rounds) and I'm at 3.8 grns under the same 200 gr rb and it's also very light in the recoil and shoots tight as well. Both loads function all my guns with the factory 16# springs.

Pops
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 PM
TheTinMan TheTinMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,301
5.6 grains of Win 231 under an H&G 69 shaped LSWC has been accurate out of several 1911s and revolvers. You certainly can go lower than that for a light target load though.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 PM
rdinak rdinak is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Birmingham AL
Posts: 1,813
Bill Wilson once wrote the 5.0 grains of Bullseye was the load the the .45 and a 200 grain SWC.
__________________
Milled steel and Walnut are still the benchmarks of quality.

Though it be broken-broken again - still it's there: the moon on the water..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Teacher Teacher is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 307
I vote for Clays for cleanliness and accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:49 PM
loki*hunter loki*hunter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
Loki hunter, I have been experimenting with this load with the OP's. powder and charge weight. 4.2 Bullseye and your Precision black bullets 230 RFN.
The combo is very accurate at 75' off a rest.

My question to you is - do you experience any fouling of the barrel using WST with those bullets? Any Smoke?

With the load described above I experience "light - moderate" coating/barrel fouling, and light smoke.

Prior to testing to the load, I soaked and cleaned the barrel 2x w Gun Slick. It is a 5" Match 1911 barrel.

I know Precision recommends powders that are slower then Bullseye...like WST. Thanks in advance for any further input.

OP - not trying to highjack your thread, this info may give you a very accurate target load...w/ the load data I used I put 20/21 rounds in a 5.5" bull at 75' off of my range bag.

KT
WST burns clean and is super soft shooting with 230 Precision Black bullets...that has been my go to load for years. I switched to HAPs because I got a killer deal on the (.11 cents ea). My PBB load was 4.2 - 4.4 grn of WST at 1.2" OAL depending on the crimp, primer and gun I was shooting. They are very accurate and very soft shooting. Each gun was a little different and the CCI and Win primers are slightly different.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 PM
schlarmanm1 schlarmanm1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 807
I have found that 3.8Gr of VV N310 with 200gr LSWC is a great target load. I like it more than bullseye and this will be my go to powder for 200gr SWC from now on. Cleanest powder i have used so far. The only drawback is price. Clays is my second choice for 200gr LSWC
__________________
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Last edited by schlarmanm1; 10-22-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Nork1911A1 Nork1911A1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kentucky, near Ft Knox
Age: 55
Posts: 462
I like 5.0gr Bullseye under 230gr FMJ for accuracy & function in both my 1911's.
I've loaded & fired some 200gr plated FP's. 4.5 Bullseye works great in both guns.
Recently purchased W231 & created a few ladder loads with 200gr plated, 230gr FMJ & 230gr LRN. Haven't tried those out yet.
__________________
NEVER GIVE UP UNTIL THE FIGHT IS FINISHED OR YOU'LL BE FINISHED AS THE FIGHT STILL RAGES!!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Che Che is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
4.2 of bullseye is an accuracy load for 200 gr lswc in 45acp, right ?
Is there a standard known accuracy load for the same using other powders, such as Unique or W231 ? Are any of these powders any cleaner than the others ?
The 4.2 grains of Bullseye is 'the' load for 200 grain LSWC. I found 4.6 of W231 was similar and a good subsitute in my Colt Gold Cup.

Have fun and enjoy.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Steel head Steel head is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: E WA
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki*hunter View Post
I find that WST is an incredible powder with lead bullets.....especially the molly coated lead bullets from Precision Black Bullets. I shot 4.2 grains of WST behind a 230 LFN....that would be a great starting point for a 200 grain lswc. It shoots clean (especially when you push it) and it is really cheap as you are usually using 5 grains or less per charge.
My fav 45acp load is 4.2 of WST with a 200lswc
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 PM
JumpMarine JumpMarine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 56
230g Berry's RN and 3.9g Clays OAL 1.25, light recoil and very accurate in my commander.
__________________
USMC, NRA Life Member, Great American Farmer

Last edited by JumpMarine; 10-22-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-22-2013, 11:24 PM
KneeShot KneeShot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki*hunter View Post
WST burns clean and is super soft shooting with 230 Precision Black bullets...that has been my go to load for years. I switched to HAPs because I got a killer deal on the (.11 cents ea). My PBB load was 4.2 - 4.4 grn of WST at 1.2" OAL depending on the crimp, primer and gun I was shooting. They are very accurate and very soft shooting. Each gun was a little different and the CCI and Win primers are slightly different.
Thank you Loki Hunter. Looks like I have to try out some WST for these precision's.

OP, I believe you are gathering some insightful info on this thread w/ everyone sharing their load data and all,..I know I am!

KT
__________________
It is what it is.

I like my polymers but I love my 1911!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 AM
AndyC's Avatar
AndyC AndyC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 49
Posts: 5,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by learjet56 View Post
3.9 g Clays MB IDP#1 200g LSWC 1.242 OAL
Both are capable of 1.5 in groups at 25 yards from a rest if I can do my part.
I'll have to try that - I'm currently running 4.1gr Clays under a homecast 200gr LSWC (Mihec mold).
__________________
My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM
RealGun RealGun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
4.2 of bullseye is an accuracy load for 200 gr lswc in 45acp, right ?
Is there a standard known accuracy load for the same using other powders, such as Unique or W231 ? Are any of these powders any cleaner than the others ?
We know what accuracy means, but what application are you actually implying? I see others immediately refer to "target load", but that may be nothing more than avoiding the gun's inherent recoil and still hitting the target in question at some unspecified range.

4.2 Bullseye with 200g LSWC is rather mild and just sounds like avoiding recoil to improve scores.

I use 4.6g with lead and 5.2g with 230g FMJ. I think that's true to the gun and seems to give good results, while not claiming any pseudo-scientific measures of accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Pilot Pilot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 602
Another vote for Clays. I've been using it for about 20 years. 4.1 grains for a 200 grain LSWC works great for me.
__________________
Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM
rebs rebs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGun View Post
We know what accuracy means, but what application are you actually implying? I see others immediately refer to "target load", but that may be nothing more than avoiding the gun's inherent recoil and still hitting the target in question at some unspecified range.

4.2 Bullseye with 200g LSWC is rather mild and just sounds like avoiding recoil to improve scores.

I use 4.6g with lead and 5.2g with 230g FMJ. I think that's true to the gun and seems to give good results, while not claiming any pseudo-scientific measures of accuracy.
yes that is a reduced load for target shooting and plinking as well as bullseye shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM
learjet56 learjet56 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I'll have to try that - I'm currently running 4.1gr Clays under a homecast 200gr LSWC (Mihec mold).
4.1 is where I was, but worked up new loads when I changed bullets to the MB IDP#1.

It is a great shooter out of my STI Sentinel. It runs really well and is very accurate for my gun.
The other benefit is that it is a great load for extended shooting sessions.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:07 AM
azlou66 azlou66 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,246
Clays is a fine soft shooting powder.
I prefer a little more snap in my plinking/target and practice rounds.
My load is 4.5 gr Titegroup under 230 gr LRN.
Snappier then a load of Clays, burns clean, under lead really doesn't matter, economical.
Has proven more accurate then I, not saying much, in a number of 45 ACP chambers guns.
__________________
USAF 7/85 - 10/94 31st ARRS "That Others May Live"
LAR Grizzly .45 Win Mag Anything less than over kill is under achievement.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved