1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Location: The land of hi taxes and lousy politicians, Upsate NY.
Colt mustang pocket light

Has anyone purchased the laser from colt for the new Colt 380 pocket light?
If so are you happy with it?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Would be good if you have cat that is bored...Someone's else's cup of tea..I cannot understand the laser thing on handguns...makes some sense on a shotgun..
Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 PM

At first I felt the same way. Now I think for a self defense gun you want all of the advantages you can and a laser sight will do that for you.
For paper shooting I like Fiber optic iron sights.
For the bullseye league I use a red dot Ultra Dot 1 inch tube sight.
Different people like different options. That is what is great about the sport of shooting there are endless possibilities of what you can do to your pistol to make it the way you like it.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 PM

I trained for awhile using a laser ......... For me it really helped me improve my point shooting.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 PM

I wouldn't put a laser on that...
Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr380acp View Post
I wouldn't put a laser on that...
Is that a personal opinion or is it because there are known problems with the Colt and a laser that Colt is selling for that pistol?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Just my personal opinion...I think it makes the pistol heavier plus I don't care for lasers in general
Old 10-24-2013, 02:25 AM

I have Crimson Trace lasers on both of my Carry Weapons, but they are the grip panel type.
They add almost no additional weight and give me another option for aiming in low light conditions.
In bright sunlight the laser is almost impossible to see, but I always still have the "iron" sights available. So its not like I've given up anything putting the laser on.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 AM

Not a laser guy either. One of our old timers that was in the firearms unit had one of those laser max guide rods in his pistol (we carry SIG 229). He talked about how great it was and this and that I consistently out shot him in both speed and accuracy with iron sights. The guys at work that liked it were the guys that didn't own guns that only shot twice a year just to qualify. Lasers we don't need no stinkin' lasers!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 PM

I do not see a good reason to not have a laser on your handgun if that is what you want. It takes a lot of practice to get good with one but that is the case with all sights. I only have two guns with lasers, one a crimson trace New Agent and the other my nightstand gun, a XDm 9mm compact with a Viridan green laser with a light, very nice setup for me. I do not know how I did without the light/laser setup on my nightstand gun for so many years.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 PM

What do you mean about "known issues" with the Mustang? Other than my safety is really hard to flip up into position.

I just got one. I did not get the laser version because it was $120 more, and I don't particularly like trigger guard lasers. I may however get a Crimson Trace grip laser if they bring one out.

I don't care for the trigger guard or under barrel lasers on pistols. But the CT seem like a good answer, if only they weren't so expensive.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 PM

I have one on mine and I like it a lot. Hardly added any noticeable weight and seems to hold an adjustment well. When it's life or death, I'll take any advantage I can get.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 PM

The Laser adds a lot of Tactical advantages to a handgun. It would be nice if every CCW handgun had one.

First of all, the laser helps stop or defuse situations before they develop - when a guy sees the red dot coming down the floor and ending on his chest, he "gets it". Intimidation works, and might save a life by making the other guy "think about it".

Second, if knocked down you can shoot from the floor without using the sights! If you wear glasses or contacts and have trouble without, just put the dot in the middle of the big, blurry blob!

Watch the Crimson trace video - it is a HUGE advantage. And speed of hits is not sights - it's reflexes. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 10-25-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
The Laser adds a lot of Tactical advantages to a handgun. It would be nice if every CCW handgun had one.

First of all, the laser helps stop or defuse situations before they develop - when a guy sees the red dot coming down the floor and ending on his chest, he "gets it". Intimidation works, and might save a life by making the other guy "think about it".

Second, if knocked down you can shoot from the floor without using the sights! If you wear glasses or contacts and have trouble without, just put the dot in the middle of the big, blurry blob!

Watch the Crimson trace video - it is a HUGE advantage. And speed of hits is not sights - it's reflexes. CC
Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding! Give this man a cigar! Excellent summary of the advantages a laser offers. I'll always remember the words of wisdom I heard years ago from a 70+ year old former NYPD cop when I asked him why he uses a laser on his carry piece. His response: "takes the guesswork out of it"....
Old 10-30-2013, 08:35 PM

plus if you can get the laiser in his eyes your opponent will not shoot as straight (if you have time)
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
Old 11-01-2013, 02:05 AM

I got the laser and installed it and was worried about the laser turning on in my pocket holster. It was just the opposite. If I have the laser on and insert it to my pocket holster it centers the activation buttons so they are centered and it turns the laser off. I do not know if it was done by design or I got lucky but I will never have to worry about the sights tuning on when holstered or if I forgot to turn them off they will turn off when holstered. I like them and it made the gun shoot right on instead of being 8 inches high at 22 feet Where there is a red dot there is a hole in the paper.
God forbid in a self defense situation in N.Y. you have to use every means of escape so you will never get the gun up to an aiming position. So with the laser at close quarters you are going to point and shoot and with the laser you now where the impact will be. Some people hate them and some do not. I feel the have there place.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:46 AM

I have a Crimson Trace Laser on my carry gun,and wouldn't be without it.I wear glasses and don't sleep with them on. I see well enough without them to identify a person with ease but not sights.If someone should enter my home uninvited I can grab my pistol and flashlight and not worry about getting my glasses.I practice with sights so I have either option,I see no downside to having a laser on a carry gun.
The laser works very well on moving targets,several vermin have fallen around the farm at night,tracking them with the laser.
As others have stated one needs not be in perfect aiming stance to shoot accurately with a laser.What,s not to like?
Having a laser on a small pocket pistol with vague sights and very little sight radius will improve one's shot placement,and practicing trigger press with the laser will improve one's shooting ability.Try it,most that do like them.COLD.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:11 PM

well bought me a mustang xsp,should have it monday. speaking of lasers does colt sell a mustang xsp specific laser for it ?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 PM

I taught myself to shoot better with a laser. I point it at the wall while dry firing and try to keep the laser beam absolutely still throughout the pull. This worked wonders for my 50 yard shots at the range.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:37 AM

What is the XSP? The laser I bought is right on Colts web site for the Colt 380 Mustang Pocket Lite. Here is the link to what I bought. http://www.coltsmfg.com/Default.aspx...=62&ProdID=358

I am glad to see I am not the only one that feels there is a legitimate use for a laser on a carry gun. I would not use one for a range gun on a full size 1911. I do have a Les Baer that had the mounting from the factory for a Red Dot sight for bullseye shooting. On my other 1911's I have installed Fiber Optic iron sights. It helps with my aging eyes. I would not pick up the white dot front and rear or black on black iron sights I need a little contrast to help pick up the target. The laser sights realy teach you how to follow through with your shots and how steady you are for your trigger pull. I know I do not move he gu at all when the trigger is squeezed and it fires. It is so easy to practice at home with Dry firing your gun and seeing how much movement you have. I was reading that on a 5 inch gun a thousandths of an inch movement equates to 14 inches at 100 yards. This was demonstrating how you need to have a good bushing to barrel fit. So when you first start to shoot with a laser you will see how much movement you have in your shaking pistol until you can control your grip an squeeze of a trigger without the laser jumping all over the place.
It is a good control tool when practicing without shooting ammunition. Today that is a god cost savings with the shotage on ammunition and the high prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
well bought me a mustang xsp,should have it monday. speaking of lasers does colt sell a mustang xsp specific laser for it ?

Last edited by xinnix; 11-02-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:57 PM

the xsp is a poly framed mustang like a glock & this makes it lighter. It also has a picatinny rail in front of trigger guard. heres a link to one on G/B also if I had a laser and (if) I had the chance I,d focus it on my aggressors eyes,both of them. its extreamly hard on the eye and would be far better than pulling the trigger IMO......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=373858162

Last edited by BCOWANWHEELS; 11-02-2013 at 03:01 PM.