1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 10-18-2013, 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=soddyjohn;4744463]I had a round rupture in the unsupported section of the barrel setting off a round in the magazine. Not fun and expensive repair.
QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn45 View Post
Wow...it set off a round in the mag, don't think I've ever heard of that happening. I've never had a case blow but I have had some quality and size issues with PMC brass.

That sounds suspiciously like a double or over charged round.

Some years back my dad had a double charge, 45 acp, 1911.

The result was a cracked slide, split barrel. The round was still exploding as the slide was driven back. The pressure and shrapnel from the double charged round jammed the remaining rounds to the bottom of the magazine. The top round in the magazine, which was next in line to be fired, had a strip of brass peeled back, exposing the base of the bullet and the powder. How that round wasn't set off was surprising in itself.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Load them til they split or you lose them. I do keep mine sorted though, once they have been used 8 to 10 times they go in my 'random' bin where I don't sort by headstamp anymore. I use the brass out of this bin for matches, or other uses where I might not be able to retrieve my brass.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM

I'm usually able to load my 45 brass between 20 to 25 times.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisewaterphd View Post
Load them til they split or you lose them. I do keep mine sorted though, once they have been used 8 to 10 times they go in my 'random' bin where I don't sort by headstamp anymore. I use the brass out of this bin for matches, or other uses where I might not be able to retrieve my brass.
Very good idea. Thanks I'll start doing this.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that case splitting does not always mean that the case has been loaded too many times. I shot a bunch of 30/06 yesterday out of a half dozen different rifles and am in the process of prepping the cases. The only split neck I found out of about 150 cases was a brand new Winchester case on its first loading fired out of a M70.

I rarely get splits with 45 ACP. Most of the splits I get are with thin-walled 44/40 and 32/20 cases and with high pressure loads in 357 Magnum cases.

I generally use 45 ACP cases until I lose them.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:45 AM

Case life is also determined by chamber dimensions.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:10 AM

As others have posted, reload them until they split. 4-5 reloads is no where near the max amount.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soddyjohn View Post
I had a round rupture in the unsupported section of the barrel setting off a round in the magazine. Not fun and expensive repair. Kimber said it was not from over pressure just a weak case (PMC). I had thought I was shooting new ammo but there was a possible a reload got in the box loaded with Bullseye powder. If that is so (kimber is sending the round back with the 45) for sure they were reloaded less than 5 times. I keep track of how many time I reload all my rifle and pistol brass.
So that is how I came up with this number.

I am considering going to a ramped, fully supported barrel and that would fix that problem.
Need to watch out for stuff like that, but I don't know how it can be prevented. I pay attention to primer pockets and flash holes and not loading for bare, oops bare.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ente Leader View Post
Need to watch out for stuff like that, but I don't know how it can be prevented. I pay attention to primer pockets and flash holes and not loading for bare, oops bare.

That's easy. Either replace the barrel with one designed for better support, or get a better designed gun in the first place.

I understand the limitations inherent in the 1911 design, but it is still flexible enough to handle anything I'm comfortable with putting through it. If I need more firepower, I'll grab my .45 Colt Blackhawk, or a rifle.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=soddyjohn;4744463]I had a round rupture in the unsupported section of the barrel setting off a round in the magazine. Not fun and expensive repair. Kimber said it was not from over pressure just a weak case (PMC). I had thought I was shooting new ammo but there was a possible a reload got in the box loaded with Bullseye powder. If that is so (kimber is sending the round back with the 45) for sure they were reloaded less than 5 times. I keep track of how many time I reload all my rifle and pistol brass.
So that is how I came up with this number.

Yeah, Kimber is not the greatest 1911 out there and they tend to blame everyone and everything else for the low quality, just ask ANY pistolsmith their opinion of Kimber to see I am right. It may have been a high primer (if a reload) or it could have been an actually weak case (out of the cases of PMC ammo of all types I have never had a "weak" case of anything), but if the .45 ACP case makes it through the first firing with no major problems, it should be good for another 40 rounds or so, not four or five. Most of my .45 cases last from 36 to who knows how many more times before getting lost, cracking a neck or splitting, which is when they go to the scrap yard to get turned into a new case.

If you really don't want the cases after four/five firings, feel free to send them to me where they will get a good home.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 AM

Until they either split or I lose them.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Some of you actually count? I have lots of cases with obliterated head stamps. Relatively low pressure practice rounds with 200g 68 SWC over small charge of fast powder. Some probably up into the hundreds of uses. HOWEVER, BE VERY ALERT to even slight case splits. A bullet seated in a split case has NO real retention and is highly susceptible to KABOOM because that boolit can easily be driven deep into the case during cycling.

Inspect your cases as you pick them up. Out of round cases that have been stepped on, no problem; but a case with even a small crease, shound be mangled and tossed into the scap bucket. Further, if one still has high frequency hearing, even cases with tiny splits are essily detected as you shake them in your hand with a couple of other cases. They ring loudly like a sleigh bell. Then wash your brass (citric acid, Thumblers Model B are excellent, as is an inexpensive food dehydrator). As you transfer into/out of the tumbler and rinse, and transfer out of sink into dryer you should again hear any ringing splits. Finally be on high alert during bullet seating at the press. What you must detect is that bullet that does not quite set down by hand into that belled case mouth. SPLIT CASE MOUTHS typically do NOT bell. Then we should always check rounds as we stuff magazines.

prs
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM

i find it totally amazing that so many reload so many times. I don't throw cases away but stop reloading those cases some 4-6 times due to ejector/extractor marks, mostly extractor cuts into the rim. That brass is used in three different 1911's and I'm always concerned about misfeeding due to those nicks where the extractor grabs the rim of the case.Those nicks can prevent positive feeding. Just my take on this. How some get 20+ reloads without some problem is phenomenal.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
i find it totally amazing that so many reload so many times. I don't throw cases away but stop reloading those cases some 4-6 times due to ejector/extractor marks, mostly extractor cuts into the rim. That brass is used in three different 1911's and I'm always concerned about misfeeding due to those nicks where the extractor grabs the rim of the case.Those nicks can prevent positive feeding. Just my take on this. How some get 20+ reloads without some problem is phenomenal.

Normal dings and such are not a problem. That's life shooting a semi-auto. But, if you're getting gouges and nicks that raise a sharp edge, then the problem is with the gun, and needs to be addressed. An extractor with too sharp of an edge on the places that contact the rim needs to be touched up so it doesn't do that. Not only does that eliminate feeding issues, but it will extent the life of the extractor greatly.

As the old saying goes, "the devil is in the details." Address those, and 20 reloads is nothing.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM

So, just touch up the extractor edge with an Arkansas hard stone?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
So, just touch up the extractor edge with an Arkansas hard stone?
Basically, yeah. However, if you've never done it before, be aware that it is easy to bugger up the angles on the extractor, to the point that it won't work right. If you haven't done it before, take it to a good smith. It will be money well spent. If you want to tackle it yourself, I'd have a spare extractor on hand just in case.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM

it seems like an easy fix to just follow the contours of the edges and hone lightly any sharp edges. It's a fine stone so little metal would be removed...just polished.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
it seems like an easy fix to just follow the contours of the edges and hone lightly any sharp edges. It's a fine stone so little metal would be removed...just polished.

Yeah?

I've got about 10K pieces of .45 brass, anyone wanne inspect and fine stone them all for me?
NRA Life Member
Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 AM

You need to re-read...not the brass but the extractor.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 PM

Ah gotcha, thank gawd....
NRA Life Member
Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Fully reading previous posts can occasionally keep one's foot out of one's mouth, or, however that applies to a keyboard.

Bob
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Fully reading previous posts can occasionally keep one's foot out of one's mouth, or, however that applies to a keyboard.

Bob
It can also lower your IQ....
NRA Life Member
Old 10-24-2013, 08:25 PM

45 acp low pressure loads especially many dozens, as the loads get hotter much less.

So many variables contribute to case life you could take a whole chapter in a book and dedicate to just that.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 PM

If I find it and it's intact it goes in the tumbler...if it survives the walnut shells it's good to go.

Magnum pistol and rifle cases get looked at a lot harder.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:55 AM

^^^^ so what about range brass that has been sitting for a few months. The stuff that comes out of the tumbler discolored on one side from sitting on the wet ground... I'm not talking the corroded stuff just the 'doesn't look pretty' do you reload that or just toss it in the bin??