1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 03-21-2003, 12:14 AM

Best gun shop in Illinois ?

Specifically, good service, nice people, good prices (in that order).

Also, where do you go to shoot your guns ?
Old 03-21-2003, 01:03 AM

The best place to buy and shoot in IL

is in IA, IN, MO, KY, or WI- any of the surronding states, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN! Before that Stalin wanna be you have in charge of Chicago takes over the entire state.

-April 19, 1775 Orders to the militia from Captain John Parker, commander of the seventy colonial minutemen who met more than seven hundred British troops under the command of General Thomas Gage at the Villiage Green, Lexington
Old 03-21-2003, 07:37 AM

D&J in Lakemoore has some really nice guys. GAT has the best selection on hand in N. IL.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:02 AM

GAT has a good slection, however there prices are high. The best place in Northern Illinois to my knowledge is Mega Sports in Plainfield on route 30. Better selection, lower prices, lower sales tax and much more friendly. Also may want to try The Gun Store. They are just down the road from Mega.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:16 AM

MegaSports for selection and price.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:21 PM

Ok that sounds about right. What ranges do you go to ? A buddy of my dad's and I go to GAT.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:32 PM

Bass Pro. It's cheaper than everyone else in the area and has probably the nicest range I've seen.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:08 PM

I'll agree that other than some of the police ranges I shoot at, the Bass Pro range is the nicest one.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:04 PM

"Also may want to try The Gun Store. They are just down the road from Mega."

Actually I believe you are refereing to " The Gun Shop" Nice place, nice people, good selection, no range.

Also you might waqnt to consider Rinks in Lockport, Very nice people , good service, good range IMHO $8 for all day. However selection is not as good as GATs/Mega Sports but Rinks will match any valid price they can verify. Been going there 10+ years

Good luck and good shooting

NukemJim
Old 03-21-2003, 07:53 PM

I got arrested once in Lockport ... but charges were never filed. The local PD are cool people, and the jail is really clean. But I digress ...

I've heard good things about the Bass Pro Shops range although the opportunity never came around to actually try them out.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:55 PM

I haven't been to one gun store in IL that I have liked yet. I'm from S. IL near St. Louis, and they all stink. C&S Metall Werkes in St. Charles, MO beats them all to death hands down. They got guys in there who like and know EVIL guns like myself. If you want something they don't have, they'll be more than happy to do the transfer or fill out the paper work for you to get it.

themao
Old 03-21-2003, 08:24 PM

Mao,

Have you tried Ron and Jo's in Fairview Heights/Ofallon area? They have a pretty good supply of handguns and not a bad selection of rifles and shotguns. They ahve alyways been pretty decent though the place is small and can get pretty busy at times.

C&S has so much class three stuff in there my pulse quickens just hearing the name of the place

Last edited by chris in mo; 03-21-2003 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:29 PM

HEY ! HEY ! No thread jacking ! Posts about gun shops and ranges in ILLINOIS ! Thank you carry on.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:04 PM

I escaped from Illinois three years ago to a much more gun friendly environment, but while I was there....

McHenry Shooting Center on Rt 120 just a bit east of the river was by far my favorite gun shop. Excellent 1911 gunsmith on premises, fair prices, and very friendly folks. Also their range on premises was fine.

If you try them, tell Scott or Rick ( the owners) that Pistolbob said hello from PA.

GAT's does have a great selection, but their prices were high, and their sales staff was so rude I quit buying stuff there. Also, their range was either OK, or run by Nazis, and I never knew which was going to be the case.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
If you try them, tell Scott or Rick ( the owners) that Pistolbob said hello from PA.
Rick sold the shop to a guy who was basically a jerk causing Scott to leave. Shortly after the jerk sold the shop to a new guy who seems decent. Range prices are way high though. Scott works through D&J down the street now. FYI
Old 03-24-2003, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris in mo
Mao,

Have you tried Ron and Jo's in Fairview Heights/Ofallon area? They have a pretty good supply of handguns and not a bad selection of rifles and shotguns. They ahve alyways been pretty decent though the place is small and can get pretty busy at times.

C&S has so much class three stuff in there my pulse quickens just hearing the name of the place
Where the heck are they located at?

Thanks, I'll check them out. They must be small, because I've never come across them before.

I just hope my guns don't get banned within the next week or two. I need to change my residency to MO dammit.

themao
Old 03-25-2003, 04:48 PM

D & J in Lakemoor. Nice people and very helpful.

Visit Magloader.com
Old 03-25-2003, 04:49 PM

bagsnatcher,

i do most of my shopping at Maxon's Shooters Supply just south of the Golf and Rand Road intersection in Des Plains

the prices are ok, friendly staff, decent range and it's by far the closest range to my residence, so I figure should patronize the place I like to shoot
Old 03-26-2003, 04:18 AM

Come over and visit us at the Belleville Shooting Range. If you haven't been here before it's worth it just to be able to shoot.

If you haven't been here since around October, the owner fired the last manager who was a jerk and a screw-up. I was appointed the manager at the beginning of October. Been there on and off the last five years though.

We have an eight-point range, three of which are rifle for up to .308 or a larger, slower caliber. Bring your ammo or buy from us. Same with targets.

Large handgun selection, though not as large as Ron & Joe's. I would mention several complaints we have received from that shop, but I won't run down the competition on an open forum.

We know evil black rifles. G3/AR/FAL/Galil/ect. We have bolt rifles and shotguns too. Ultrasonic cleaning and gunsmithing service as well.

209 N. Illinois St. Belleville, IL. Mon & Sat 1000-1800 Tues-Fri 1200-2000.

Come see us.

Minuteman III LGM30G
Old 03-26-2003, 04:02 PM

Yes, I've been there multiple times. I feel bad now. I forgot to mention you guys.

Anyway, Belleville Shooting Range is an awesome place to go. I got my AR-15 and S&W Model 627 from there. They usually have some nice accessories for AR-15s as well.

I'd probably buy my next handgun from them rather than Ron and Jo's. The big plus is the year long membership with the purchase of any new gun.

themao
Old 03-26-2003, 04:29 PM

St. Charles Sportsman Club in Elburn.

Mainly a trap, skeet and S.C. club. They do have a nice outdoor pistol range. There are also several competition shoots during the summer. I just aquired a bunch of pins and hope to start a pin league this spring.

I should have my FFL in a couple of weeks. Drop me a note in May, let me know what you would be interested in and I will give you a price. [email protected].

Jeff
Old 03-26-2003, 05:28 PM

Yessir, we love AR's and MBR's at BSR. Well I do anyway. The other guys that work there have them, but they're not into them like I am. Bushmaster rules at BSR, though we have a soft spot for Armalite and Colt if you want one of those instead.

We don't sell, order, carry, or trade for any junk. You won't find a Lorcin, Jennings or any of that in our cases. We carry Walther, SIG-Sauer, H&K, Beretta, CZ, Springfield, and Para-Ordinance mainly. We also carry a few S&W, Khar, Bulgarian and Romanian small handguns as well as Makarov's, Browning and contract Hi-Power's, and Taurus Revolvers. We try to stay away from their semi-auto's except for special orders.

We also carry Fobus, Galco, Uncle Mike's, Bianchi, Kydex holsters. We have a small parts area from Brownell's and they know us on a first name basis we order so much from them. We have the largest selection of factory and surplus ammo east of the river.

Want some .500 for your new S&W? We got it. 8mm Mauser non-corrosive? We got you covered there too.

Sorry I ramble. I really love working there.

Minuteman III LGM30G
Old 03-26-2003, 09:44 PM

Herr Walther,

How could I have forgotten you guys? I bought my first and only 1911 through you guys 8 years ago! Right after getting married. I still have the gun but the wife is hisory. LOL Glad to hear you are still doing well. When I used to shoot over there your range was the one I went to. I will have to try and see the place whenI am over that way sometime. I dont get over that way much anymore.