1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 09-04-2013, 06:51 AM

GSG 1911 Quality

As some of you may know in the UK we are very limited in what pistols we can own. Basically we can only have 22 (semi autos) with 12" barrels and a wrist brace that makes the overall length 24".

Fortunately GSG make such a pistol for us though because of the long barrel and wrist brace there are still very few over her, though Im fortunate to own two of them.

The guns are good but they are not without their problems and I would like to as you guy's in the US, who have far more of these pistols than we do, have you had any significant issues with wear?

Specifically Im concerend about the slide. On both guns and within a few hundred rounds the slide lock notch started to wear. Now its never got much worse even after 15000rds but I still dont believe it should wear in this way, though I guess I have to say what do I expect considering the slide lever is steel and the slide aluminium.

I have also had to replace a slide (Which GSG did FOC) after the grove that the bush locks into wore.

I would be interested in your experiences of this otherwise nice pistol.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 AM

It's the cheapest 1911 on the market. That should tell you something.
NRA Life Member
Old 09-04-2013, 08:20 AM

Zinc alloy can be very strong and useful in certain applications....such as shotgun receivers not thin wear-prone parts. I once owned a GSG 22-conversion kit that worked extremely well. I begin to see threads and posts on forums concerning split slides, worn notches and broken guide-rods. My kit actually came with an alloy slide-stop. I sold it as soon as I could. It only cost 200 US dollars and that's what I (luckily) sold it for. There is a reason it was so economically priced.....it's a POS. I am completely amazed that you have a round-count as high as 15,000. NOTHING is ever going to fix the problem you have. A replacement will eventually do the same thing. I would just shoot it the way it is and not worry about the slide-hold-open feature. Some semi-autos never had it and some new guns in production now do not offer this feature.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Unfortunately in the UK the GSG is not only one of only 2 1911's available to us (and Im not even sure the other is still available) but its far from cheap retailing at approx $1200 (the other, which is still an alloy gun is $2000).

I guess its a sellers market!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 AM

I will say that the GSG magazine is of very high quality and many 22-conversion kit 1911 shooters try and get their hands on one. GSG makes a good solid steel mag, which is the best part of the package. It's sort of pricey, but beats the pants off the plastic magazines that come with some of the "upper class" higher-priced kits. I know they work well with the Marvel kits and I would think with others as well.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 AM

$1200? No, it sure as hell ain't worth that.

The number one selling point here is that they are cheap and they kinda sorta look like a 1911
NRA Life Member
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM

I noticed the same problem with my Sig/GSG 1911-22. The slide stop was wearing rapidly. I quit my bad habit of thumbing the slide stop and started drawing back to release the slide. That stopped the wear problem for the most part. 1500 rounds and no problems with that. Did just strip the barrel screw, though.
Have fun and don't worry about it
Old 09-08-2013, 01:13 PM

I really enjoy my GSG1911 and it has been a solid performer through 10,000+ rounds, but it is Zamak, and the slide stop notch has peened a bit. It hasn't really gotten worse after the first couple thousand, ATI (the GSG importer here) sent me a new slide stop and a new bushing to replace the original parts.

For the $299 that I paid for mine new from ATI, I think it is a very useful and fun pistol, but good Lord, $1200?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 AM

I think the gun is pretty well designed and built, but the materials used are marginal for the job. The finish is also not very tough.

The biggest issue I've dealt with is intermittent light strikes, which was fixed by installing a 19 pound mainspring.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 AM

The GSG/Sig Sauer 1911-22 gets mixed reviews but seems to have a large loyal following.
You'll see lots of discussion on:
It's really accurate ... No it isn't.
It's made of pot metal ... No it isn't, its aluminum
It's made of high quality alloy ... No it isn't, its aluminum
The Sig version is better than the GSG version ... No it isn't, they are exactly the same

You get the idea; not so different from conversations about many other guns.

I bought mine on an impulse for my wife and she is just not interested (in anything but her PPK/s) so, I added a compensator, "better" bushing, rod & spring, replaced the adjustment screw with a plug, added a mainspring hosing and magwell and, I'm having it accurized. I expect to pick it up today.

It's not the cheapest 1911 22LR out there. Pretty sure that would be the Llama. It is, unlike the Llama, Browning, and a few others, a full size 1911 style pistol.
Sig 1911 Platimun Elite 45 | Sig 1911-22 | STI 1911 Trojan 9 | Nelson Custom 1911 (2) | S&W 41/46 (4) | HS Victor (3) |Pardini SP | Benelli MP95E | Volquartsen (3) | Hammerli (4) | Clark Custom HS | Oregon Precision Marksman II | S&W 22a

Last edited by mparker; 09-10-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 AM

Slide is aluminum, frame is Zamak. Aside from that the post above lays it out pretty well. Good little pistol for $300. Accurate enough, but certainly not a "target" pistol.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper46038 View Post
Slide is aluminum, frame is Zamak. Aside from that the post above lays it out pretty well. Good little pistol for $300. Accurate enough, but certainly not a "target" pistol.
There is a GSG Target model coming any day I think. An ATI rep told me the end of August in an email a few months ago. It has target sights and a target style grip but I'd be surprised if it had any tuning done to it.
Sig 1911 Platimun Elite 45 | Sig 1911-22 | STI 1911 Trojan 9 | Nelson Custom 1911 (2) | S&W 41/46 (4) | HS Victor (3) |Pardini SP | Benelli MP95E | Volquartsen (3) | Hammerli (4) | Clark Custom HS | Oregon Precision Marksman II | S&W 22a
Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
I have a suppressed one I really enjoy.
After a trigger job

I am just curious if you were able to find someone locally to do your trigger job, or did you have to send it off???
Old 09-10-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40DOC View Post
I am just curious if you were able to find someone locally to do your trigger job, or did you have to send it off???

I did it myself! LOL
Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
I did it myself! LOL
Umm... Don't you thing you should have sent it to a pro?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Umm... Don't you thing you should have sent it to a pro?
Nahhhh!..

A few tips. I removed the firing pin safety and changed the mainspring to 19#
This really improved the feel of the trigger. I also replaced the trigger with one of our 190 ultralight triggers.

The hammer hooks need to be trimmed and squared and the sear was recut with a small relief.

You can't replace the sear on a GSG but you can replace the hammer.
Oddly, the MIM internal parts seem to be pretty decent quality.

You can get a safer 2# trigger with these pistols if you try hard enough.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM

cwaccessories makes some high quality accessories for these guns and is about to release a new slide which is machined from 7075 aircraft grade solid aluminum billet. I have purchased some of their products which have proven to be very high quality with excellent workmanship. Great guys to deal with. I am not associated with them in any way. Just a satisfied customer.

http://www.cwaccessories.com/EXoSKELETON.html

Home page

http://www.cwaccessories.com/Products.html

Last edited by Oldman1151; 09-10-2013 at 09:40 PM.