1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM

ATI Titan Recoil Assembly ?

I recently upgraded my reverse bushing with a Colt Defender one works great and much thicker. Now i want to upgrade the recoil assembly. Two questions i have on this

1. Will the colt defender recoil assembly work and were can I get one if so?
2. If not can I use the kimber assembly with the colt bushing as i dont feel like fitting the Kimber bushing

Last edited by fball1208; 08-29-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 AM

Hmm..Nobody seems to know much about ATI Titan recoil system

I bought a Titan light-weight a while back..good gun. I've fired it enough I should probably be replacing springs or looking for a replacement spring set-up.

I surfed around here..and checked out the topics and posts regarding the probems with ATI Titan recoil systems..and replacement. Then looked my stock set-up over with 450 rounds on it..decided I would just order some Kimber springs from Wolff and replace my old springs if will fit.

That's my plan anyhow. The old springs seem about as good as when new...don't seem to have degraded much...I'm going to shoot mine some more before worrying too much about it.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:35 PM

Yea did a lot of looking about this but cant find much info. Have a kimber on ordre but who knows when ill get it, so was looking for alternitatives to fix the issue till then, Got a new assembly coming from ATI so will see
Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 AM

There is a very long thread on this subject and some results both bad and very little good. Do a search on this site for Titan. Every thing that I did did not help.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM

Good question. Can you just change the spring and not the whole assembly? At what round count should you do so? Also, what # is the stock recoil spring if anyone knows?

Thanks too!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:10 PM

Did a search on this about the recoil and just trying to get the information in one place for myself and others. Luckly the only issue i have had is with the screw in the recoil assembly coming loose. I have changed the reverse plug with a colt just for saftey reasons and now looking to change out the recoil assembly for less worry.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Either a Kimber of a Defender recoil assembly will work. I think the Kimber is just a hair longer, maybe 1mm or so. I'm running a Kimber, with the Kimber reverse plug filed to fit.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 AM

Check out the Titan thread last page it was my answer thats been working
Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 PM

I used a kimber assembly in mine. Worked perfectly after.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 PM

1. Yes. I used the recoil assembly from the Defender. I had to do a little file work to get the bushing right. I kept the stock and have the new one for back-up. They say the bushing is the weakest part, but mine has been fine.
2. no idea
Old 09-24-2013, 10:48 PM

Recoil Assy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fball1208 View Post
Yea did a lot of looking about this but cant find much info. Have a kimber on ordre but who knows when ill get it, so was looking for alternitatives to fix the issue till then, Got a new assembly coming from ATI so will see
Things may have changed, but the problem is that they used sub-standard materials in the ATI recoil assy. That's why most people went to Colt. I can vouch for the colt unit, using the stock spring.

good luck!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:50 PM

The Colt unit has no screw, it has a "c" clip.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:52 PM

Yes you can change the spring, but the problem has been a flakey ATI recoil assy.