1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 PM

Rock Island 1911A1 Holster

First time posting here.
New owner of a 1911A1 and first time 45 cal owner and loving my choice so far.
I am looking for a OWB (conceal carry) Leather holster for my Rock Island 1911A GI.
After looking around for what I am looking for I have decided to go with a Bianchi Model 5 Black Widow in Black. No one carries them around me to try out and when contacting SafariLand Group they say they do not make any holsters for Rock Island/Armscor 1911.
My question is why wouldn't a Model 5 Holster for a colt 1911A1 5" work for my Rock Island 1911A1 5"?
Can anyone assist me in finding this holster or one that is very similar?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM

I have a Bianchi 105 "Minimalist" holster for my RIA Compact. It fits perfectly. I would think that your Rock would fit any holster designed for the 1911A1. Good luck finding the perfect holster.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:56 PM

If you have RIA non railed pistol, anything that would fit a Colt, will work.
what RIA pistol do you have?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 PM

Unless it has a rail, you just need a standard 1911 holster, that's sort of the point of getting a 1911 pistol.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 PM

Unless it has a rail, you just need a standard 1911 holster, that's sort of the point of getting a 1911 pistol.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Try this:
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/221...-leather-black

A 5" 1911 government is the same regardless of the manufacturer.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:44 PM

B.F.D. tells you true; a 1911 is a 1911 is a 1911 with the only variances that would make a difference in a holster are (a.) presence of a rail on the dustcover (either short or long), and (b.) possibly the barrel length since a closed-end holster sized for an Officers-size 3.5" barrel will just not work for a 5" Government full-sized gun. I carry a Rock CS-Tac (Officers sized) .45 in a Bianchi Alusion IWB holster that is a combination of Kydex and black leather that will securely carry either my FS-Tac or my TCM guns if need be. Whoever you talked to at SafariLand needs to have their medications adjusted!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the assistance. I figured a 1911A1 is a 1911A1 and should fit any holster for a 1911A1.
I guess Safariland lost out on a sale.
I found the model 5 black widow online and have it coming for much less then Safariland wanted anyway.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 PM

Sig has some models w/a different slide profile

Some doublestack frames have a square trigger guard

Otherwise, if it doesn't depart drastically from the original, it will fit an open-bottom holster.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 AM

If it's an A1 frame, true to original, the main part that matters is the profile of the slide and dust cover and trigger guard. If these are standard, any 1911 holster for colt 1911's will work. Myself: I use a White Hat for in the waistband carry, and a Blackhawk! serpa for OWB/open carry. Both work just fine. I like the extra retention offered by the serpa, it's hard to beat.

Sticks and stones may break bones, but my .45 will kill you.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBearMedic View Post
If it's an A1 frame, true to original, the main part that matters is the profile of the slide and dust cover and trigger guard. If these are standard, any 1911 holster for colt 1911's will work. Myself: I use a White Hat for in the waistband carry, and a Blackhawk! serpa for OWB/open carry. Both work just fine. I like the extra retention offered by the serpa, it's hard to beat.
DBM - There's been a lot of chatter lately about the Serpa holsters coming apart under stress. Not just a retention failure but the whole scabbard detaching from the mounting structure. I've talked to a couple of local LEO's who are rethinking their long-time use of Serpas for duty carry. I just wondered what your feelings were about the controversy.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
DBM - There's been a lot of chatter lately about the Serpa holsters coming apart under stress. Not just a retention failure but the whole scabbard detaching from the mounting structure. I've talked to a couple of local LEO's who are rethinking their long-time use of Serpas for duty carry. I just wondered what your feelings were about the controversy.
I've heard that rumor fly about the serpas too, but didn't let that scare me. My understanding is that Blackhawk has remedied that. The weak link on the serpas is Not the attachment of the paddle to the holster, it's the holster its' self. It is 2 separate pieces of kydex that are molded together encasing the pistol. If it fails, that's where it'll happen, in the small seam along the sight line of the pistol. So far, mine's holding up just fine. I just wish I could find a belt attachment plate rather than a paddle plate for it...

Sticks and stones may break bones, but my .45 will kill you.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM

Thank you for the info from Midwayusa. That is the one I purchased
Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnrig View Post
I have decided to go with a Bianchi Model 5 Black Widow in Black.
I have the Bianchi #5 in brown for my daily carry, a Rock full size GI. You have chosen wisely.

When you call or contact holstermakers. Lot of times you end up talking to a kid who for minimum wage takes orders. They have zero knowledge. My favorite LGS, 50% of their crew is just there for a paycheck. The half like to talk guns.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I've heard that rumor fly about the serpas too, but didn't let that scare me. My understanding is that Blackhawk has remedied that. The weak link on the serpas is Not the attachment of the paddle to the holster, it's the holster its' self. It is 2 separate pieces of kydex that are molded together encasing the pistol. If it fails, that's where it'll happen, in the small seam along the sight line of the pistol. So far, mine's holding up just fine. I just wish I could find a belt attachment plate rather than a paddle plate for it...
I found a belt attachment for my Serpa on Amazon for less than $20 shipped. Here is the link.

RIA Tactical M1911A1 Tactical II
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I had a feeling that Blackhawk wouldn't let that situation stand for long! But it concerned me enough that when I went shopping for a OWB casual (around the range or house) holster I took a pass on the Serpas. I also wondered how many of the faulty ones are still on the shelves because retailers are reluctant to pull stock. I'd hope Blackhawk would issue a recall but haven't heard of one. The little Fobus paddle I ended up with isn't anything fancy but it seems to do what I wanted it to do.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 PM

this is what my Rock Island lives in

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-53-20-snap-off-elite.aspx

Anyone Else is a subject
Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRogue View Post
this is what my Rock Island lives in

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-53-20-snap-off-elite.aspx
Now that is SWEET!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 PM

RIA 1911 A1 FS Tactical Blackhawk Holster

I know it's almost impossible to find a good holster for the RIA 1911 Tactical with the full rail. It doesn't fit conventional 1911 holsters, even ones made for 1911's with rails. I have included some pics of how I modified a Blackhawk 410503BK Serpa holster so the RIA will fit. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140722_170000-1r1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	794.3 KB
ID:	124999

Name:	20140722_175711-1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	649.3 KB
ID:	125000

Name:	20140722_175726-1r1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	962.7 KB
ID:	125001
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW52 View Post
I know it's almost impossible to find a good holster for the RIA 1911 Tactical with the full rail. It doesn't fit conventional 1911 holsters, even ones made for 1911's with rails. I have included some pics of how I modified a Blackhawk 410503BK Serpa holster so the RIA will fit. Hope this helps.

Attachment 124999

Attachment 125000

Attachment 125001
Nice work with that holster mod. I've beat a couple serpas to death on ranges. I've tested their retention attacthing them to bars and doing pull ups. Great holsters! I may have to perform this mod myself if I can't find a decent holster or just make one myself.

Edit: I have no idea how that holster hyper link appeared.

Last edited by p1choco; 08-27-2014 at 09:18 PM.