1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 08-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Train With Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn!

Wilson Combat® Is Pleased To Announce:

Master firearms trainer Ken Hackathorn will be teaching a Basic/Intermediate handgun class at the Circle WC Ranch near Clarksville, TX.

Do not pass up this opportunity to train with Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson.

Class Details:

Dates: Oct 2nd – 3rd 2013 from 8 AM – 5 PM.
Class will be approx. 700 rds and cover all aspects of defensive handgun shooting.
Limited to 18 shooters.
Cost will be $550. Which will include lunch on the range.
A 50% deposit will be required to secure a slot.

Weapon & Gear Class Requirements:

A functional handgun of reputable manufacture chambered in 9mm or heavier caliber.
Seasonal weather gear.
Functional clothing & footgear.
Knee and Elbow pads.
Hand held flashlight(s) w/extra batteries.
Ballistic Eye protection.
Ear protection.
Know your weapon's zero. Expect to work as close as 3 yards and as far as 50 yards.
Have the necessary cleaning tools and maintenance equipment/replacement parts for your weapon(s).
Quality holster and magazine pouches. A minimum of 4 each 15 rd Magazines, more if you are shooting a single stack.
Be prepared to take notes.
Class applicants must be safe gun handlers and have basic gun handling/manipulation skills. This class is not like the public school, if you can't keep up you will be left behind.

About Ken Hackathorn:
Ken Hackathorn has served as a US Army Special Forces Small Arms Instructor, Gunsite Instructor, and NRA Police Firearms Instructor. He is currently an FBI Certified Firearms Instructor, Certified Deputy Sheriff with Washington County SO, Ohio, and a SRT member and Special Response Team trainer. Ken has trained US Military Special Operations forces, Marine FAST and SOTG units and is a contract small arms trainer to FBI SWAT and HRT.
Ken has provided training to Federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies and been active in small arms training for the past 25 years. He has written firearms related material for Guns & Ammo, Combat Handguns, Soldier Of Fortune, and currently American Handgunner and contributed to at least six other gun/shooting journals. Ken was also a founding member of IPSC and the IDPA.

Lodging:

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Paris
Address: 3025 NE Loop 286, Paris, TX 75460
Phone: (903) 785-0088

Comfort Inn & Suites
Address: 3035 NE Loop 286, Paris, TX 75460
Phone: (903) 785-0089

Contact Information to reserve your spot: [email protected]
Old 08-01-2013, 04:48 PM

Man, wouldn't that be something to brag about! Unfortunately my schedule won't allow it.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Honorary Administrator Emeritus

If there is any way under heaven and earth to make this happen, boys, you need to seriously consider signing-on for this one. You're already familiar with Bill, but if you aren't aware of Hackathorn's status as the quintessential trainer, coach and mentor in this business, then you are missing a pretty significant component to your knowledge base.

Courses like these are essential to rounding the corner from poseur to pistolero, quite frankly, and these are two men who can -- and will -- revolutionize what you know, how you apply it, and the confidence you are ultimately able to place in both your weapon and your own abilities.

This isn't a hard sell. It is friendly advice from someone who has learned over time that the value of investing in one's skill set reaches far beyond what you can ever get from simply collecting competent hardware. Hackathorn isn't planning to stay on the training circuit much longer, and Wilson doesn't routinely conduct this kind of training, so if you're thinking "chance of a lifetime," then you're probably not hitting very far from the mark. The price is right, the location is doubtless worth the trip just to experience it, and these two guys will give you more of an education in two days than you could get from a lifetime of watching DVDs and running half-assed drills at the local range.

Dare to be the real deal.

AC
Old 08-01-2013, 05:25 PM

Email sent Thanks for the opportunity.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:35 PM

I sure hope Wilson owners take up this opportunity. Too many safe queens around here.
"Not to be unkind, but signature lines loaded with inventory lists tend to strike me as some kind a plea for validation -- and an indicator that the member in question is probably chasing his tail to a certain degree." -AC
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 PM

E-Mail sent. Looking forward to it.

WCR, have a question about the above post. Unless I am reading it wrong it says to have a minimum of 4 mags that hold 15 rounds each. I don't own a gun that has a 15 round mag.
Brazos STI HP Edge 40 and Trojan 9mm
Clark Custom S&W 41 and Ruger 22/45
Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Roger. That is what the "... more if you are shooting a single stack" part is about. Just double-up on ETMs or 47Ds, if you're planning to shoot the 1911, and you should be good to go. More is always better, though, because it makes the breaks more pleasant for you while everyone else is reloading, and you're over listening to Ken and Bill talk about stuff you didn't even know that you didn't know to know about.

AC
Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyndall View Post

WCR, have a question about the above post. Unless I am reading it wrong it says to have a minimum of 4 mags that hold 15 rounds each. I don't own a gun that has a 15 round mag.
You're reading it wrong... "more if you are shooting single stack".

That means have more than 4 mags if you are shooting single stack.
"Not to be unkind, but signature lines loaded with inventory lists tend to strike me as some kind a plea for validation -- and an indicator that the member in question is probably chasing his tail to a certain degree." -AC
Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM

Army Chief, JesseGPresley:
Thanks, made sense after you explained it.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM

Jesse,

Beat you to the punch for once, but just barely.

Spot on.

AC
Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM

I would personally recommend a dump pouch to wear off the back of your gun belt, for spent mags, charged mags, and loose rounds.

My friend wears this right behind his double mag pouch, and after a string, he takes charged mags out of this thing and refills his mag pouch. It's a good idea. You want to spend as much time on the line with the instructor as possible, and not off charging mags. But you don't want to draw from this thing, as it's probably not the type of set up you have for the street.

I had 16 mags for my class with Hack, and was plenty. Bring at least one 10 rounder for the 10-10-10 drill.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 PM

Jesse, at the expense of sounding like someone that has never taken a course before, who sells the Dump Pouch. Great idea.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Man, I would love the chance to do something like this. Unfortunately, missing 3-4 days of class in my first semester of law school (counting travel) would probably not be a good idea. And by "probably" I mean "definitely". Lol

I know some of you guys are going to have a heck of a great couple days, though!!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Jesse, at the expense of sounding like someone that has never taken a course before, who sells the Dump Pouch. Great idea.
Here's some dump pouches. I like the EGL Loppy one. it's smaller, perfect for pistol mags. Some of the other ones are pretty big, more for carbine mags.

The nylon mag holder shown above is made by Tuff Products, the guys that make the plastic ammo strips for revolvers.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Jesse, what brand is the carrier in the picture you posted?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Jesse, what brand is the carrier in the picture you posted?
"The nylon mag holder shown above is made by Tuff Products, the guys that make the plastic ammo strips for revolvers."

The other things I'd recommend to bring are electronic ear pro, and a folding camp stool.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:

I would have at least 8 mags for a single stack
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 PM

WCR, I have changed the springs in most my mags so most of them hold 6 shells. Is that a problem?

Also, will someone e-mail us back about how to pay?

Jesse, any list over the next few days of recommended items is appreciated from all of you that have been to classes and have seen items used that we should have please let us know. We have plenty of time to purchase.

Last edited by ttyndall; 08-01-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
WCR, I have changed the springs in most my mags so most of them hold 6 shells. Is that a problem?

Also, will someone e-mail us back about how to pay?

Jesse, any list over the next few days of recommended items is appreciated from all of you that have been to classes and saw items used that we should have please let us know. We have plenty of time to purchase.
You will get contacted by someone at WC. Train as you carry. Its not a competition, its training. I would suggest practicing safe gunhandling. Thats the most important thing.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:05 PM

WCR, thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM

Qualified Participants?

In order to properly assess one's level of skill/aptitude to qualify to participate, can you define "basic/intermediate" with more particularity?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCND82 View Post
In order to properly assess one's level of skill/aptitude to qualify to participate, can you define "basic/intermediate" with more particularity?

Thanks.
This is a tough question. One man's intermediate is another's Rob Leatham.

Can you draw and fire your gun and hit a 6" steel target at 10 yards, 5 times in a row? Reload and reholster without shooting yourself? Thats basic.

This isn't a class to learn how to reload your pistol or learn how to align your sights. You will need some strong fundamentals or you will be left behind.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned

I would define intermediate as having completed the following NRA courses or the equivalent:

1. Basic Pistol
2. Personal Protection Inside The Home
3. Personal Protection Outside The Home - Basic and Advanced
4. Defensive Pistol

Once you have completes that which represents roughly 48 hours of training, you should be at a place to take a course like the one described here. I am in at the tail end of finishing NRA Instructor Certification for the four listed, and IMO that background gets you to a level where you benefit from a real intermediate level class.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
This is a tough question. One man's intermediate is another's Rob Leatham.

Can you draw and fire your gun and hit a 6" steel target at 10 yards, 5 times in a row? Reload and reholster without shooting yourself? Thats basic.

This isn't a class to learn how to reload your pistol or learn how to align your sights. You will need some strong fundamentals or you will be left behind.
Seems you might add being able to do Stovepipe and Double Feed drills, tactical reloads, and vertical tracking drills as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 PM

WCR post the course and requirements. He works for Wilson Combat.
He then explains his opinion of the needed skill levels.
You then correct him by adding your opinion of the requirements needed to take the course.
If I was to go by the prerequisites listed by the Wilson employee that post the initial course or by someone not associated with the company and probably never having met either of the gentlemen listed who should I follow the advice of?
HMMM... Are you going to be taking the course?