1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 AM

.300 Win Mag for Griz

Is a .300 Winchester Magnum a big enough gun for hunting large Grizzly Bear?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 AM

Sure it's big enough. Loaded with the right bullet and that bullet is put in the right spot, you can even kill a grizzly with it. But most people would want a larger caliber if it were available. I hear that in Alaska, the 338 win mag is the weapon of choice.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 AM

Shoot yeah it is. I want a 300 win mag.
*COTEP#0405*

Custom Shirts- http://hdtshirt.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home
Get your COTEP Shirts here- http://hdtshirt.com/shop/COTEP
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 AM

Shot placement and the the proper bullet is key. If given the choice I'd rather have something in the .338 variety.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 AM

Yea its a fine choice, just like any hunt know where to hit and you will do fine. Caliber and hunting various animals have been discussed alot on this forum, one thing you can be sure of someone always tells you to bring a bigger gun than you have. Many grizz have been taken by a .44 mag at 30 yards, and pretty much every caliber higher. Some will say you can get it done with a 30-30 others will tell you to use a .458, grizzs are not superbears they do have tough hide and extremely dense muscle and bone but a good heavy penetrating bullet will do the trick. I think a 45-70 is most guides favorite gun so you are not under gunned. I have had many hunting trips to Kiska, Denali, and outside of Homer and the natives carried a 12guage with magnum slugs.

Posted from 1911forum.com App for Android
Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM

I am not passing any judgement here.

But I am curious as to why you would want to kill a Grizzly bear?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Bears can't read gun-zines. Good thing, because a great many have been killed with calibers that were "inadequate". That said, why push one's luck? Jeff Cooper was of the opinion that if one needed to do more than a .30-06 would do, then one needed a larger caliber, not just a .30 going faster.

An acquaintance of mine had an unplanned brown bear encounter on Kodiak Island last year. He was deer hunting, but knew that bears could be a problem in the area. He was carrying a .375 H&H and his wife a .338 Win Mag. He was forced to shoot an aggressive bear that could not be shooed off by shouting (this is one reason why someone might want to kill a bear). His .375, along with his coolness and marksmanship, performed perfectly.

Rosco
Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
Bears can't read gun-zines. Good thing, because a great many have been killed with calibers that were "inadequate".

Thanks for that. My whole office is laughing right now!

TTR
Old 07-26-2013, 05:13 PM

The reason I would wan't to kill a bear is to eat it.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 PM
More Cowbell...

If it can trade places on the food chain with you, over-gun it.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 PM

Made plenty of trips to Alaska, and have family there. .306 was the rifle of choice for my family for many years, and killed a lot of moose, sheep, Caribou and some bear. Most upgraded to .300 Win Mag, and .338 seems to be the preferred caliber these days. Long story short, I believe .300 Win Mag is enough to kill anything on this planet, and is easily enough for a bear. I would consider a rifle and optic that are not only good for hunting at med- long range, but also good for defense at short range. This is why I bought a Browning BAR semi auto with iron sights, and always keep the scope on 4X when walking around.

I would stick with .300 Win Mag, if for no other reason than ammo is about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of .338. I thought .338 was cool until my buddy asked me to pick up a box of ammo for him while I was at the store... $60 later I vowed I would never buy a .338.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
Bears can't read gun-zines. Good thing, because a great many have been killed with calibers that were "inadequate". That said, why push one's luck? Jeff Cooper was of the opinion that if one needed to do more than a .30-06 would do, then one needed a larger caliber, not just a .30 going faster.

An acquaintance of mine had an unplanned brown bear encounter on Kodiak Island last year. He was deer hunting, but knew that bears could be a problem in the area. He was carrying a .375 H&H and his wife a .338 Win Mag. He was forced to shoot an aggressive bear that could not be shooed off by shouting (this is one reason why someone might want to kill a bear). His .375, along with his coolness and marksmanship, performed perfectly.

Rosco
Of course, 375 H&H is hardly a pop gun. Still a favorite among African guides and will take anything that walks. 7x57 is another classic and has taken everything, including elephant which are very dangerous game indeed.

I believe it is more about bullet selection than caliber or velocity. Bear are tough. They need a deep penetrating bullet to get the job done. In 30 cal that means something in a solid from 180 to 220 grains. Lots of dense muscle and bone before you get to vital organs.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 PM

375 H&H would be my choice, but if I already had a .300 or .338 sitting in the safe and I was proficient with it, I wouldn't hesitate to take them.

Sent from the panic room, via two tin cans attached with a string, and a jail broken Atari 2600, while wearing a Tin Foil hat.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
If it can trade places on the food chain with you, over-gun it.

Shoot the heaviest bullet you can load, as fast as you can. I don't see why a 300WM wont do the job fine. But for some it's barely big enough whitetail. But Tom has a very very good point.
the best thing about a browning citori is you can take a ragged old reload, hammer it into the barrel, call "pull," break the clay, pull out a piece of brass with a jagged edge of plastic, check the the barrel, and repeat.
http://daileywoodworks.com/ - Woodworking, Shooting, and Life in General.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:35 PM

Certainly Tom Freeman makes a good point.

However, I would have to also consider the conditions under which the hunt will take place. The terrain in particular would be of great concern to me. If I anticipated being able to shoot one of these monsters at a distance of say 100 meters or more without them being aware that I was in the area. This would very likely affect what rifle I would attempt to go after them with.

Additionally if I was going to hunt these critters in close cover where seeing one would be close in with them also being aware of my presence. Well this would certainly affect the rifle that I carried even more.

If you choose to hunt these majestic beasts. And that is certainly your right within state game laws. I say go ahead. I realize that habitat reduction actually requires a certain amount of culling to maintain a healthy population.

Insofar as eating them is concerned, I have eaten bear meat before. Not Ursis Horribilus, but bear meat nonetheless. It is OK.I can list a lot of other meat that I would rather eat.

Aside from that I would much rather see Ole Ephraim alive than dead. Having seen them in the wild in Yellowstone and Glacier without a fence between us. When you feel the hair on the back of your neck going up and the feeling of awe that you get from being in their presence. Well there just is nothing else like it. It is a truly humbling experience.

Chief Joseph once said, "However goes the beast shall also go man".
Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Banned

My vote....Savage 111 Long Range Hunter chambered .338 Lapua Magnum....it will certainly get the job done.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 PM

It depends upon the grizzly. Those with High Speed Internet access generally wear Level 4 body armor these days.
You will require armor piercing ammunition with that 300 Win Mag.
For many years, grizzly bears were killed with bow-and-arrow, flintlock, etc.
But now that they have Internet access, the remaining bear population wised up.
Body armor is more common out there than you think.
It takes a much bigger gun than ever before.
Do you have access to an Abrams fighting vehicle? I know I would...
Old 07-28-2013, 06:49 PM

If you hunt with a scope and the bear will be within 15 yards,
especially if wounded and you have to track it down,
you might rethink the scope on top of your rifle.
Really hard to pick up a charging animal in a scope.

That appears to be the case when a hunting buddy shooting at the bear and killing you instead...
Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 PM

There was a time not too long ago when more grizzlies and brown bear had been killed with a 30-06 than anything else. I'm not sure about now. If I was going bigger, it would either be the .338 Win Mag, or .375 H&H. I wouldn't bother with a faster 30 caliber.
L.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
It depends upon the grizzly. Those with High Speed Internet access generally wear Level 4 body armor these days.
You will require armor piercing ammunition with that 300 Win Mag.
For many years, grizzly bears were killed with bow-and-arrow, flintlock, etc.
But now that they have Internet access, the remaining bear population wised up.
Body armor is more common out there than you think.
It takes a much bigger gun than ever before.
Do you have access to an Abrams fighting vehicle? I know I would...
Epic simply EPIC.