1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 07-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Guys sorry if I'm not allowed to post this here but thought someone would like to see it. If I had the money I would buy it.
http://www.armslist.com/posts/190260...ry-rare--45acp
Old 07-20-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
The USMC's demand for pistols has nothing to do with commercial sales of custom shop pistols. The guns that Marines get is not the same pistol consumers get. From what I have been told, Marines get assembly line guns made on the production floor at Colt. Consumer guns are assembled in the custom shop by the custom shop gunsmiths and receive hand fit NM barrels and trigger jobs.
You are correct except for the first sentence.

I assume the supply of assembly line guns goes to two places, the Marines and the custom shop.

If the supplies are going the Marines this month and only to the Marines, then the Custom Shop has no guns to hand fit those Nm barrels and do their trigger magic to sell to for commercial sale.

The rumor is that approx 80-100 get pulled off the assembly line to be sent to Brent's shop. This month, there are very few, if any inventory at Colt custom.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Guys sorry if I'm not allowed to post this here but thought someone would like to see it. If I had the money I would buy it.
I'm sorry but armslist is scattered with fraudulent ads. When it's too good to be true, it usually is.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 PM

That is a nice pistol though, but I'm sure you're right.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Wow! a $2,000 M45 gun for $900. I especially like the last line of the listing: "They were never recored out to an owner"

Nothing against you, Hydro and I'm sure you're just trying to be helpful but this ad seems to fall in the category of "if it's too good to be true"...

Ed Brown Classic Custom, Kimber SIS Custom RL, Kimber SIS Pro, Kimber Ultra Raptor II, Colt M45 Marine CQB, Colt/Talo National Match Royal Gold Cup #167 of 300, Colt/Talo Royal Government #258 of 300, Colt Special Combat Gov't Carry (hard chrome), CZ 97B, S&W 686 3" Talo .357, Rohrbaugh Elite Premium #16/16, Beretta 92FS, Seecamp 32
Old 07-20-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenU View Post
Wow! a $2,000 M45 gun for $900. I especially like the last line of the listing: "They were never recored out to an owner"

Nothing against you, Hydro and I'm sure you're just trying to be helpful but this ad seems to fall in the category of "if it's too good to be true"...
oops, Dan. Was away from the computer for a few minutes. Didn't see your post. I think we both drove the point home, however.

Ed Brown Classic Custom, Kimber SIS Custom RL, Kimber SIS Pro, Kimber Ultra Raptor II, Colt M45 Marine CQB, Colt/Talo National Match Royal Gold Cup #167 of 300, Colt/Talo Royal Government #258 of 300, Colt Special Combat Gov't Carry (hard chrome), CZ 97B, S&W 686 3" Talo .357, Rohrbaugh Elite Premium #16/16, Beretta 92FS, Seecamp 32
Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM

They were never recored out to an owner" What does this mean? I sent him an email but I haven't had a reply yet. Thanks about the scam that has been going on. I did buy a Face to Face Kimber a year ago without any problems.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wang View Post
You are correct except for the first sentence.

I assume the supply of assembly line guns goes to two places, the Marines and the custom shop.

If the supplies are going the Marines this month and only to the Marines, then the Custom Shop has no guns to hand fit those Nm barrels and do their trigger magic to sell to for commercial sale.

The rumor is that approx 80-100 get pulled off the assembly line to be sent to Brent's shop. This month, there are very few, if any inventory at Colt custom.
And you know this how, exactly?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:42 PM

Is the USMC issue marked with "US PROPERTY"? or same as the civilian version which is only "U.S."?

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2013/07...pistol-review/
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
And you know this how, exactly?
I'm confused by this as well. So I went to the Coltmfg web page. When you ck out the Marine CQBP they describe what is done to the MCQBP, and that it is done by Colt Custom Shop. I would speculate that Colt Custom Shop IS NOT building all the USMC pistols. I draw the conclusion that some of the MCQBP are built by CS for civilian market. The rest are production pistols, built to meet specification.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

You are correct. The assembly line builds issued guns. The custom shop builds guns for civillians.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrik View Post
Is the USMC issue marked with "US PROPERTY"? or same as the civilian version which is only "U.S."?

I believe they are all marked "U.S."
Old 07-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Banned

They are marked exactly like the Marine guns. The serial numbers on the civilian models come right out of the Marine lineup according to Brent at CCS. CS just pulls the frames from the contract production line as needed.

And the GunBlast.org guy said he was shooting sub 1" groups at 25 yards. FWIW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSaxKdiU7CM
Old 07-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrik View Post

Hilton Yam and Tim Yau at 10-8 performance/MSW reviewed the assembly line version (without the trigger job or the custom barrel fitment), and it is identical to the civilian (custom) version.

All of the slides read COLT***USMC
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the clarifications.
That article in shootingtimes.com stated that it has USP markings and it comes with "three" WC mags...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 PM

Amazing!

There are so many posts about the M45, I am surprised at how many incorrect facts are still floating around. According to Colt (aka Brent) about 80 or so are finished off in the Custom shop per month. These are fitted with National Match barrels, and are tuned up a bit. They come in a Pelican watertight green case with an Otis cleaning kit, two Wilson combat 7 round mags, and a gun lock. Also they have a test target attesting to accuracy. They are supposedly identical in looks to the combat version which were spec'ed out to have totally interchangeable parts for easy repairs and parts replacement in the field. (makes a lot of sense)
That being said, outside of everyone's opinion of the color, they are NOT identical to the current rail gun in that there are some inherent features added to the M45 due to the extreme testing and requirements of the military. Dual springs, and a beefed up frame at the very least, probably a few other items not released to the public (speculation only). I would guess that accordingly, since our guys are out on the front line, that they go first to the Marines, then some get spruced up for commercial sale. Those lucky enough to get one at any price ( including moi ) love them. They shoot great, and are accurate as all get out. Way more accurate than we are. As for comparing to other shops producing fine 1911's, I will say this: I have the M45, the CCG, and a Wilson Combat Tactical Elite CQB LE...and I can get five shots touching each other in a 2" circle at 15 yards rapid fire with any one any day any time. You all know what each cost, so the moral here is that Colt has seriously upped their game! They are worth twice if not more than Colt's MSRP, and with the current demand, will be like "hens' teeth" for quite some time.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=423298
Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotomaniac2011 View Post
a beefed up frame at the very least, probably a few other items not released to the public (speculation only)
Curious to know, but why was there the need to do so? I've seen it elsewhere that there were slide problems that required a modification because of the FCS, but nothing about the frames.

USN P-3B/C
USAF KC-135R
USAF RC-26B 745th SOS
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Banned

The cracked photos were taken out of context according to Brent. I do imagine that was a reason for moving the FCS but the beefed up frame rail is a result of needing a compliant 1913 rail instead of the commercial version which wouldn't accept all attachments.