1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 PM

Executive Carry in Cerakote-

Just got my Executive Carry back from Predator Custom Shop here in Knoxville with a fresh coat of heat applied Cerakote in graphite black.

I have used them for other guns in the past, and found that their finish, which they call Rhinohide, holds up very well.

Thought I would give it a shot on my stainless Executive Carry since I have not been too enthused with the Gen III.

The look is close, and I hope it holds up better. Bonus for me with Predator being local was that the cost was not much more than just what it would have cost for the shipping to Brown and back before paying $295 for the Gen III refinish.

Still haven't settled on the rear sight, but for now it has a plain non-tritium EB carry sight. I also have a .140 width each in a 10-8 Performance U-notch and a Heinie Ledge which will also work. Both have already been fitted and coated.

For the front, I went with a new Ed Brown night sight with target outline, after trying both a Novak gold bead and a plain Novak Tritium without the white, and a 10-8 brass bead.

Now, just got to get out and shoot it tomorrow to confirm everything runs as it should, which I fully expect it will.

Tim

Last edited by Houser; 07-14-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM

THAT is a CLEAN .45. I like it very much! NICE job. Enjoy the piece.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Finish looks excellent. It does look very similar to the Gen 3.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Executive Carry, Special Forces Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Ordered: Wilson Combat: Tactical Supergrade Alchemy Custom: Custom build
Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 PM

The figure on the grips really shows off the new coating.

Handsome gun.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:16 PM

Looks great, may have to check them out next time I am down your way.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 07-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
Finish looks excellent. It does look very similar to the Gen 3.
Here it is new with Gen III

And three years later now in Cerakote

Esmeralda charged me $25 to refinish the grips which have been the primaries since new.

Tim

Last edited by Houser; 07-13-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Mighty fine looking pistol.
1968, 69, 70
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
Looks great, may have to check them out next time I am down your way.
Jerry-

Although not my thing, knowing your affinity for tactical rifles I must warn you that visiting with Predator Custom owner Jim Ruiz and master gunsmith Bob Howard where the real specialty is very, very nice custom tactical and long range rifles could be hazardous to the contents of your wallet.

http://www.predatorcustomshop.com/index.htm

Seriously, great guys and really nice stuff, as well as certified applicator for Cerakote.

Tim
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 PM

Beautiful pistol. The finish looks great with a nice deep black color.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks guys.

I put a lot of thought into which direction to go before trying the Cerakote.

As an aside, all of the Gen III had to be removed before the Cerakote was applied, and it would have been just as easy to leave it in the white and have it bead blasted or polished stainless, something Ed Brown does not offer on a Gen III gun.

That is also one of the reasons I did not go with something even more durable, such as Hard Hat, as those treatments are not readily reversible and are pretty much permanent.

Cerakote is ceramic based as compared to the many Teflon finishes, and a little harder and more abrasion resistant. It will wear, and we will see how this holds up in the same use as the Gen III before it. I'll report back on that-

Tim

Last edited by Houser; 07-14-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 PM

That's a beautiful finish! Really looks good with the re-finished grips.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:37 PM

You mentioned "heat applied" Cerakote - is that something different than normal Cerakote finishing? Perhaps I am reading too much into it, as I had always thought of Cerakote a baked on type finish in the first place - maybe I was originally wrong?

I am a fan of Cerakote - had it on a few pistols in the past and thought it looked great and held up fine. Now I am also a fan of Gen III too, but obviously YMMV.

Nice looking EC.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1tex View Post
You mentioned "heat applied" Cerakote - is that something different than normal Cerakote finishing? Perhaps I am reading too much into it, as I had always thought of Cerakote a baked on type finish in the first place - maybe I was originally wrong?

I am a fan of Cerakote - had it on a few pistols in the past and thought it looked great and held up fine. Now I am also a fan of Gen III too, but obviously YMMV.

Nice looking EC.
There is also an ambient cure Cerakote. It's mostly used by the professionals on optics, polymer frames, and other things which could not stand the heat. It is also used by DIY types who sometimes then complain that it isn't durable.

When it comes to finishes, especially these painted ones, there's all kinds of claims pro and con. I intended for this to be another reference for others in the future considering a professionally applied Cerakote job on a 1911, for better or worse.

I'm an older guy and don't jump too many fences or crawl under things like I might have 20 or 30 years ago. I use quality custom leather holsters from Milt Sparks, Adams Leather, and Wild Bill, and never Kydex. The Gen III just wore pretty ugly pretty quick on my EC in my opinion, nearly down to the steel, in less than three years of not everyday use. I have a lot of handguns in lots of finishes, and the Gen III showed more wear than anything I have ever used, even blue. I wasn't too happy thinking about spending about $400 to send it back to Brown to try it all over again ($100 shipping and $295 for the finish).

I was tempted to just leave it in the white stainless, but really prefer the black for carry so I thought I would give the Cerakote a try. I had my old Beretta 92FS Compact refinished by these guys about eight years ago, and it still looks new. However, it has been in semi retirement and not carried. Also, have used it on aluminum parts on a couple of vintage rifles where the anodized finish was shot, and again they still look like new.

If applied right, Cerakote won't chip. However, like every other applied coating it will wear eventually.

BTW: Ran 150 rounds of Winchester Ranger Bonded, and 230gr fmj Mag Tech and Georgia Arms reloads yesterday. Used my four Tripp 7-round mags which I use for carry. Not a single glitch.

No wear around the safeties yet, but like all 1911's there is a little around the edge of the ejector port on top, though barely noticeable at this point.

Tim

Last edited by Houser; 07-15-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 AM

Looks great! I really like the grip refinishing.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman17SC View Post
Looks great! I really like the grip refinishing.
Not quite as nice as new, but they repaired the dings out from three years of carry and got them ready to do it again.

Really happy with the Cerakote finish btw. Liking it better than I ever liked the Gen III so far.

Tim
Old 08-23-2013, 09:57 AM

How to post pictures

Where do I find directions on adding a photo to my post? I amusing a MacBook Pro. Thank you.

Lou917:
Old 08-24-2013, 01:25 AM

Click "Post Reply"

Click "Manage Attachments"

Click "Choose File"

Find where picture is saved and double click it.

Click "Upload"

Submit.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:07 AM

Very Nice, Sir!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:11 PM

That pistol is beautiful; the finish and grips go together really well. Last year, I got really nice results refinishing my old P226 with CCR in Greeneville, in their house black.