1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 PM

1911 officer vs commander

how much smaller is the offcier 1911 to the commander 1911 is the frame the same size?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 PM

Here you go. SA Champion (Commander sized frame), LB Stinger (CCO/Compact Sized Frame), EMP (Officers Sized Frame).

Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM

First basic difference is barrel length: Government - 5"; Commander - 4.25"; Officers - 3.75/3.5". Officers-sized also has a shortened grip length which means a shorter magazine. You will note two sizes for officers-sized barrels, 3.75" is the more common.
There are also six-inch guns built for special purposes like hunting and target shooting.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
First basic difference is barrel length: Government - 5"; Commander - 4.25"; Officers - 3.75/3.5". Officers-sized also has a shortened grip length which means a shorter magazine. You will note two sizes for officers-sized barrels, 3.75" is the more common.
There are also six-inch guns built for special purposes like hunting and target shooting.
and impressive "Don't shoot me" looks...

Sticks and stones may break bones, but my .45 will kill you.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOZ71 View Post
how much smaller is the offcier 1911 to the commander 1911 is the frame the same size?
Overall, it's about 3/4" shorter on the barrel/slide and also shorter by 3/4" on the grip. The mags are one round shorter than Commander/Government models. Keep in mind, there are several "Officers" like models out there by various companies, which are not exactly like the original Colt Officers model. Springfield Micro and RIA/Armscor have "Officer" size 1911s, but they are not 100% like the original Colt.

This is my RIA compact 1911. Has the 3.5" bull barrel, so no barrel bushing to deal with like the original Colt, which I heard was prone to breaking. The SA Micro is 3" barrel I believe and just shorter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372991363.602346.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	102215

Last edited by ezveedub; 07-04-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBearMedic View Post
and impressive "Don't shoot me" looks...
I've seen a couple of those with the extended dust-cover that look like you're holding a black 1X2. One had a rail all the way out to the end, I guess in case somebody wanted to mount a Swarovski 7.5X40 upside down out there.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 PM

I have three full size 1911 and one commander size i was just wondering the how much smaller the offcier was thanks for all the reply's, been kiccking it around to get a officer size 1911
Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 AM

5", 4.25", 3.5", and 3 1/8"

But I think your real question is " Should I buy another handgun?".
Hell Yes!!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:20 AM

You should realize that the original "Officers" 1911's were not really built by Colts. They were made by government arsenals (mostly Rock Island) for presentation to General Officers who wanted something more than the 1900 or 1905 Colt autos or M1917 revolvers usually available. They weren't considered really "combat-operational" but more like the sidearm of European forces, an emblem of rank and status. "Commander"-sized pistols were intended for Field-grade officers (Major, Lt.Colonel and Colonel) and usually ended up with staff officers far to the rear. Psychologically, the idea of having an ever-smaller gun as the rank gets ever-higher seems counter-intuitive but I guess Freudian analysis of the process never came to mind though the increased caliber from .32 to .45 ACP must have pleased the Generals. I really like my compact Rock and I was a lowly E-5!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
You should realize that the original "Officers" 1911's were not really built by Colts. They were made by government arsenals (mostly Rock Island) for presentation to General Officers who wanted something more than the 1900 or 1905 Colt autos or M1917 revolvers usually available. They weren't considered really "combat-operational" but more like the sidearm of European forces, an emblem of rank and status. "Commander"-sized pistols were intended for Field-grade officers (Major, Lt.Colonel and Colonel) and usually ended up with staff officers far to the rear. Psychologically, the idea of having an ever-smaller gun as the rank gets ever-higher seems counter-intuitive but I guess Freudian analysis of the process never came to mind though the increased caliber from .32 to .45 ACP must have pleased the Generals. I really like my compact Rock and I was a lowly E-5!
Never heard the shrinking of the1911 platform explained this way before.

I believe you're referencing the Colt Pocket Hammerless models of 1903 & 1908 in .32 and .380.

I've heard of similar thinking in the German armed forces, with higher ranking officers preferring Walther PPs and PPKs over P-08s and P-38s.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM

RIA does not call their pistols Officer, Commander, they are marked as FS= Full size, MS=Midsize, CS= Compact Size.
The FS is 5''
The MS is either 4'' or 4.1/4''on some, I guess? not sure, maybe they may have changed, in the last yr. mine is 4"
The CS is either 31/2" or 3.3/4''on some I guess? not sure, maybe they have changed in the last year, mine is 3 1/2"..............Maybe.....:rofl :
Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreB View Post
Never heard the shrinking of the1911 platform explained this way before.

I believe you're referencing the Colt Pocket Hammerless models of 1903 & 1908 in .32 and .380.

I've heard of similar thinking in the German armed forces, with higher ranking officers preferring Walther PPs and PPKs over P-08s and P-38s.
You are quite right as to the correct models of Colt pistols, my memory of those years was imprecise. The use of handguns as displays of rank was common in European armies which might explain why so many European pistols were often somewhat ineffectual in actual combat. The .455 Webley & Scott Mk-VI were an exception to this and the 9 mm Parabellum became useful in the field only after a long stretch of 7.65 and 7.65 offerings had been tried. I have a 1924 Spanish Astra chambered in 9 mm Largo/.38 Super that demonstrates this effect. While it is as large and heavy as a 1911 and can chamber and fire a modern 9X19 round, doing so will crack the frame quickly as the original 9X23 mm Largo had considerably less power. It looks impressive as the dickens and is typical of why the Europeans were so shocked by the power of the 1911/.45 ACP. Their officers were very conscious of their status and the traditions of their services. British sub-altern graduates (2d. lieutenants) fresh from Sandhurst were ordered to have their swords sharpened by an armorer before being sent to the muddy and machine gun-riddled trenches of France in WW-I. The pistols presented to American generals upon their appointment were ceremonial and the officer was given his choice of model. I understand that as WW-II continued, more generals were coming from combat units and wanted something that might do some good if they had to. A .32 or .380 of the day just wouldn't pass muster for that so the smiths were tasked with building the smaller 1911's for these officers.